I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod 12 feet guide spacing
Posted by: Carlos Vargas (---.baf.movistar.cl)
Date: January 09, 2024 07:37AM

Hello, new to the forum and building rods, I need help with the guide spacing of my conventional surf rod, I am going to use a blank black hole 12 feet 50/50 2-6 oz,
Are 8 guides enough? I'm thinking of putting #25,#20,#16,#12,#10 x4
I will use it for jigg from 2 to 4 oz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod 12 feet guide spacing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2024 08:53AM

You don't need to use all those different sizes. Are you building a casting rod? Start with maybe a 20 and then drop right down to whatever the smallest size you plan to use. The in-between sizes aren't doing anything for you. Number of guides should be determined by a static stress distribution test or you can start with surf rod guide spacing from any company that lists such on their websites. These are generally starting places and you may find that you need to tweak placement a bit once you do your distribution test.

If you're going to be building a spinning rod, then you'll want to go a different route.

Date: January 09, 2024 01:01PM

Thank you very much for your reply. If casting rod, I will do the load tests when I have everything in my hands.
the reel seat is placed about 29 inches and the first guide about 32 inches from the reel seat, would that be correct?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2024 12:26PM

Don't know. It depends on several variables such as the reel size and height. I suppose you can start with whatever spacing you have a favorite rod now and see how that works. Adjust as needed once you test cast it a bit.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: January 10, 2024 04:39PM

Carlos-
How are you determining those measurements?

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: January 10, 2024 10:23PM

Carlos,

I think it would help to choose an easily identifiable starting point for the butt guide (first guide from the reel) when discussing measurements to help the surf rod pros give you some distances to consider and try as a starting point. Example, a common set point for measurement of the butt guide placement for a casting rod is from the reel face (or spool guide). A spinning rod butt guide is commonly measured from the tip of the spool axel (spool removed) at the mid-point of its up and down oscillation. (I have cheated a little before and just measured from the top of the spool at the mid-point and did not take the spool off beforehand.) Fuji charts show measurements from the center of the reel foot stem sometimes.

Whatever measuring point it is, it is one that is consistent and easy to identify.

Tom said it clearly: Any measurements and/or initial placement locations are just starting points, not set in stone. Definitely do a two-line static test. Your specific rod's deflection profile, under various amounts of load, will tell you where the guides should be located. Test cast. Tweak it. .It can take a bit of time to get a superior result.

And on top of that, if you are doing a casting rig, have you considered a spiral wrap? From the size of line and lure the rod is rated for, a spiral wrap will give you some advantages.

What are your goals for your build?

Date: January 11, 2024 08:47PM

Michael Tarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Carlos-
> How are you determining those measurements?

putting the butt of the rod on my shoulder and stretching my arm, and about the distance of the exit guide I read it in the forum and from other sources

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2024 08:48PM by Carlos Vargas.

Date: January 11, 2024 09:49PM

Les Cline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Carlos,
>
> I think it would help to choose an easily
> identifiable starting point for the butt guide
> (first guide from the reel) when discussing
> measurements to help the surf rod pros give you
> some distances to consider and try as a starting
> point. Example, a common set point for measurement
> of the butt guide placement for a casting rod is
> from the reel face (or spool guide). A spinning
> rod butt guide is commonly measured from the tip
> of the spool axel (spool removed) at the mid-point
> of its up and down oscillation. (I have cheated a
> little before and just measured from the top of
> the spool at the mid-point and did not take the
> spool off beforehand.) Fuji charts show
> measurements from the center of the reel foot stem
> sometimes.
>
> Whatever measuring point it is, it is one that is
> consistent and easy to identify.
>
> Tom said it clearly: Any measurements and/or
> initial placement locations are just starting
> points, not set in stone. Definitely do a two-line
> static test. Your specific rod's deflection
> profile, under various amounts of load, will tell
> you where the guides should be located. Test cast.
> Tweak it. .It can take a bit of time to get a
> superior result.
>
> And on top of that, if you are doing a casting
> rig, have you considered a spiral wrap? From the
> size of line and lure the rod is rated for, a
> spiral wrap will give you some advantages.
>
> What are your goals for your build?

Hi Les

I just want a fishing rod to cast 2-4oz jigs.
for fish from 20 to 40 pounds, and I will use 15 to 30 lb braided lines (pe 1.2 and pe 3.0)

spiral wrap? mmm I don't think it's necessary, I won't fight with fish over 60 lbs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster