I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Xray shakey head
Posted by: Colter Scott (---)
Date: January 08, 2024 10:58AM

Hey yall! Needing advice on a 7 ft or 7ft 2 shakey head rod blank. Preferably a northfork x ray and bonus points if it's one thats on sale. Rather new to building so still asking advice on which blanks. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Xray shakey head
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 08, 2024 11:39AM

Colter,
Have you tried putting "shakey" in the search function, "all Dates"? Research is half this game.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 08, 2024 05:44PM

A blank recommendation depends on what kind of rod power you like to fish a shaky head with. Some like an extra fast action, some, like myself, prefer a fast action. When I fish a shaky head the bait is Texas rigged. Or if I am using a shaky head with an EWG style hook, which is the style I prefer, then the bait is Texposed rigged. If you're Texposing a bait, IMO you can get away with a slightly less powerful rod. With that said, I use the same rod for both types of rigging, so I prefer the rod to have some power.

I fish shaky heads on a rod I built on a Rainshadow RX10 Eternity ETEC72M blank. As that rod sees double duty as a tube jig rod, I am building another rod for shaky heads on an MB 733 X ray blank. The CCS numbers for my blank are IP 552 grams with an AA of 76. Some might consider that an extra fast action, or a faster, fast action. Either way, the CCS numbers for my MB 733 X rays are almost identical to those for my RX10 ETEC72M. So I guess what I'm saying is .... you might want to consider an MB 733 X ray. I use jig heads anywhere from 3/16 oz up to 3/8 oz. It just depends how deep I'm fishing and how much wind their happens to be.

I use a 1/4 oz Secret Lures wide gap Tail Shaker jig head probably 75% of the time. If not that jig head, then an Owner football head.

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: January 09, 2024 01:17PM

Using braid would be the equivalent of adding “power” as well. There are a lot of variables when picking blanks. My recommendation would be the X-Ray SB724 (assuming your typical shakey head, Texas rigged).

Posted by: Jacob Clark (---)
Date: January 09, 2024 01:52PM

John Santos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Using braid would be the equivalent of adding
> “power” as well. There are a lot of variables
> when picking blanks. My recommendation would be
> the X-Ray SB724 (assuming your typical shakey
> head, Texas rigged).

Was going to suggest the same blank

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 09, 2024 04:32PM

I also have a build in process on an SB 724 X ray blank. You guys are right, the SB724 will make a dandy shaky head rod.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: January 10, 2024 06:02PM

Colter,
Not sure how you Shakey head fish but in the area I am in many thrown them on 1/4 ounce heads and with plastic the whole combo runs about 5/8 of an ounce, we use baitcasters with 12lb flouro and fish up to 18’ of water. The preferred blanks we use are the X Ray SJ736 or the Point Blank 731MXF. I personally prefer the Point Blank .

Posted by: Colter Scott (---)
Date: January 25, 2024 05:20PM

No I didn't. I'm new to the group didn't even think of that

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster