I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Newbie blank question
Posted by: Justin Clarke (---.dynamic.bellmts.net)
Date: January 07, 2024 10:38AM

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to start building a new walleye jigging rod and I'm trying to find some info on a couple blanks. This rod will be used strictly for vertical jigging. Jigs in 1/4 to 3/8s range for the most part but might get pushed up to 1/2oz in the spring when the current is moving. Most common technique will be a jig and minnow or leach. Hoping some of the real experts can provide some insight.
Blanks I'm looking at, and my concerns with each one.

Rainshadow rx10 etes 68mlf ( worried it won't have the power for bigger fish/ heavier weights)
Get rod blanks / elliot rods 71m-xf or 610mlxf ( no real info available, no ccs data or reviews anywhere)
Point blank 69mlxf ( most expensive option, lots of info available but seems like nobody is using it for what I'd like to )
Nfc sb724 ( also very expensive, not just the blank cost but shipping, some of the stories of inconsistencies with nfc blanks have me worried)

I live in Canada so shipping is always an expensive endeavor. I fish lake Winnipeg for the most part and a trophy size walleye is 10+pounds. Lots of 3 to 7 pound fish.
I've already built a American tackle bushido ds69 mag medium xf. I love the action of this blank and it fishes great. Just lacks the sensitivity needed for light bites in 15 to 25ft of water.
Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide. I've been leaning pretty heavy on this message board for info since I started building and you guys are an incredible resource for new builders.
Thanks again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2024 10:42AM by Justin Clarke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie blank question
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: January 07, 2024 11:16AM

Out of the blanks you listed, I’d go with the PB. I built one of those for my brother and he loves it. I don’t normally fish off shore (just not my thing) so I don’t carry a rod in the boat for it. That said, I borrowed his on a particular trip and was quite happy with how it fished. I was fishing a drop shot.

Date: January 07, 2024 11:30AM

Daryl, thanks for the reply. I'm guessing most people will be suggesting the PB. If you have some personal experience with them, I'd like to ask. Are they really that much better then the rest? I know that's a pretty loaded question but just looking for opinions.
Between shipping and retail prices I'll pay about 80$ Canadian more for the PB then the other options I've listed.
Do you think its worth it?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2024 11:31AM

In the RX 10 Eternity line up, if you're worried about the power of the ETES 68ML, you could bump up to the ETES 72ML. 30 more grams of power is equivalent to needing to hang another 1 oz on the tip of the blank to get the proper CCS deflection. You could also consider the ETES 72M. Rainshadow has jig and bait, and snap jigging in the recommendations for the 72M blank.

Here are a couple of links. One to the CCS numbers Batson provided when the RX10s were first introduced. [www.dropbox.com] The other to Rainshadow's website. When you go to the RX10 bass/ walleye page there is a link at the top to the CCS numbers [batsonenterprises.com] The jig bait, snap jigging recommendation I mentioned is in the first link. The blanks are the same whether bass or walleye, they just have different recommendations listed for walleye versus bass.

If you're worried the ETES 72M may have more power than you'd like (personally it wouldn't be a concern of mine) you could trim some length off the butt to take away a bit of power. How much you'd take off would determine just how much power you'd actually lose, but it's an option. Taking any length off a blank will technically slow the action, but I can tell you from experience doing it, that it does not change the way the rod will fish as far as working a bait. The only time you'd notice a loss of power is when it's under the load of a fish.

At least that has been my experience with the 3 rods I have that are built on trimmed down blanks.

Date: January 07, 2024 11:39AM

I don’t have any personal experience with any of the other specific blanks you mention. But, it appears, when you eluded to “inconsistencies”, that you’ve done your due diligence as far as research. My research found the same thing. As far as cost difference, I firmly believe in an old saying that goes “Buy once, cry once”, meaning pay the extra money and be done with it. Again, I don’t offshore fish enough to warrant building a rod for that specific purpose, but if I did, I wouldn’t hesitate to build on the PB blank.

Date: January 07, 2024 12:02PM

David, thanks for the info and links, some great info in there. My understanding of the CCS system is very basic at best lol, I think i know just enough to ensure I over think every possible option.
I've often wondered if you can really feel 20 to 50 grams difference in the hand, sounds like you definitely would. The etes 68ml was my first choice for this build for a couple reasons. One its available from a supplier here in Canada for a very good price. Two, I was hoping it would fish and feel similar to the old st croix avid 69mlxf. That's a rod I have some experience with and loved. Unfortunately this supplier doesn't have the 72ml in stock. I'd be buying / shipping it from the states. Which puts it into the same price range as the PB.
From my experience on here, I know you know your batson blanks. In your opinion is the 68ml up to the task? 90% of the time it will have a 1/4 oz jig head on it and fished straight up and down over the side of the boat.

Date: January 07, 2024 12:09PM

Daryl, buy once cry once is a very fitting statement, I've built a couple different walleye rods now, but still find myself reaching for factory rods in certain situations. Hindsight has me thinking I should've just spent the money on a premium blank to begin with.
I certainly appreciate the info from you guys though. I'm a chronic overthinker and this info will definitely help me make a decision.

Posted by: Kurt Dikkers (---.clma.centurylink.net)
Date: January 07, 2024 12:11PM

Justin, I have that model of PB rod that I use for bass fishing mostly off shore. It is the most sensitive rod I have which includes several x-rays. Each time I fish with it, I remark how I caught 2 to 3 extra fish due to being able to detect bites as the bait falls after the cast; even on a slack line. I use braid with a fluorocarbon leader.

Posted by: Justin Clarke (---)
Date: January 07, 2024 12:25PM

Kirk, thanks for the reply. I know sensitivity is pretty subjective but thats great info. The walleye here often pin baits to the bottom or inhale it so lightly its almost like a slack line bite. Set up will be a daiwa ballistic 2500 with 10lb braid to 8 to 12lb fluro leader.
Just curious. Do you have any experience with the PB 701lxf?
That's another blank that looks like it might perfect for what I want

Posted by: Justin Clarke (---)
Date: January 07, 2024 12:25PM

Kirk, thanks for the reply. I know sensitivity is pretty subjective but thats great info. The walleye here often pin baits to the bottom or inhale it so lightly its almost like a slack line bite. Set up will be a daiwa ballistic 2500 with 10lb braid to 8 to 12lb fluro leader.
Just curious. Do you have any experience with the PB 701lxf?
That's another blank that looks like it might perfect for what I want

Date: January 07, 2024 12:28PM

Sorry for the double post guys. My phone is doing weird things today.

Date: January 07, 2024 12:39PM

I just read the specs on the 701. It looks like it would be a good choice. I think I would prefer the 69 if I were building for myself. I would prefer the shorter blank.

Posted by: Kurt Dikkers (---.clma.centurylink.net)
Date: January 07, 2024 12:41PM

I do not have experience with that rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2024 12:43PM by Kurt Dikkers.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2024 12:42PM

Justin, I only have experience with a few Rainshadow blanks. 6 different ones to be exact, and only one of them is an RX 10 Eternity (the other Eternity was an RX9) The only RX 10 blank I have experience with is the ETEC72M. I built it as a spinning rod, and it's probably the most sensitive rod I currently own.

I hesitate to say whether I think the ETES68ML you're considering would be up to the task. I can only go off CCS numbers, and for me personally, I am sure I would find it under powered. Fishing it straight up and down beside the boat could be a saving grace. For me personally, and this is just based off the CCS numbers, the ETES 72ML would be as light as I personally would go. And truth be told, I'd go with the ETES 72M. And since it would be for fishing right beside the boat, I might trim it a bit. Maybe down to 6' 10" just to make dropping down on fish you see on your electronics a bit more precise. Although .... unless you have an older unit with a 20 degree or under cone angle, it's hard to say just how close to the boat a fish you spot on your electronics actually is.

Anyhow .... as I have mentioned in the past. I am reluctant to comment because of my preferences for rod power may be different than yours.

Date: January 07, 2024 12:55PM

Thanks guys, sounds like I should really just bite the bullet and spend the money on the PB. I kind of suspected that's how this discussion would go. David I appreciate all the info you've provided. I'll take a harder look at the 72m etes. I'd definitely have to trim it abit. Just from a storage point of view I'd need it to be 7ft of shorter. As far as seeing the fish goes, I run a livescope for all vertical fishing. Knowing where my lure is in relation to the fish is a non issue.

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.mscw.id.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: January 07, 2024 01:11PM

I have not fished the blanks you mentioned.

I fish vertically with the IMMWS62M for walleye using 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs with plastics. Anything heavier is too much in my opinion, and I use other rods. I measured the power of the IMMWS62M at 362 g. The ETES68ML is listed at 312 g. I bet ETES68ML would handle 1/4 oz vertical jigging just fine. It might be a bit light for 1/2 oz, however. I wouldn't worry about it handling a big walleye.

I hope this information helps.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2024 11:31PM by Jordan Smith.

Date: January 07, 2024 02:40PM

Jordan, thanks for the info. I looked at the immortal walleye line as well. I have an immc 72mf that I built intending to use it for lighter lake trout stuff / heavy current walleye, but it's way too powerful for that. It's a crazy strong blank. The purchase of that blank is actually what drove me to look into CCS data for the first time. It's a great rod and plenty sensitive, but just not what I had in mind for that build.
And from a vanity point of view, I'd rather build on an unpainted blank for this particular build.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 07, 2024 07:07PM

I have an Elliot 610 MLXF here and I can only say it is a very nice blank for the money. I can't provide #s. Very similar to the Bushido DS69 4- 10.

Date: January 07, 2024 08:08PM

Thanks Lynn, similar in power I'm assuming? Based off my DS69 8-15 I'd guess it's on the lighter side of a dropshot rod?
Thanks again for all the info

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 08, 2024 12:14AM

You need to spend more time looking yourself and less time trying to get a review from others. The Elliott 71MXF got my attention immediately, the stiffer tip compared to like powered blanks in the catalog led me to believe it would also carry more weight well, improving the top end jigging power, the larger butt diameter led me to believe it may carry larger loads well, and the weight of the blank makes me believe it will be a dandy rod to fish if you do your part. There are some dandy places to shop in Canada if that helps with expenses.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster