I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MB736
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 06, 2024 02:32PM

Old MB736 xray = 790 grams of power
New MB736 xray = 630 grams of power

Measured myself.

This is not a complaint for NFC. I don't want or need anything from NFC. Seriously, no need to contact me or tell everyone here my order history. If I recommended the MB736 as a chatterbait rod for anyone here, I am sorry. Old one was great. New one not gonna work very well unless you fish only open water. Of course the one you get may be different. End of rant. On to the search for a chatterbait blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MB736
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2024 05:45PM

Here’s the CSS numbers I got for the theNFC MB736 and SJ736 X-ray blanks a few years back. Have measured several more of each and the numbers were very similar.
NFC MB736 X-ray IP 668 AA 71
NFC SJ736 X-ray IP 793 AA 75
Maybe you got your blanks mixed up, or didn’t get the proper blanks.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: January 06, 2024 07:26PM

If looking for a chatterbait stick take a look at the mhx cb845 ( I don’t like MHX but they did this one right)

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 06, 2024 09:16PM

Thanks for the suggestion Thomas

My MB736 was IP 790 AA 71
My SJ736 was IP 800 AA 76

I got them at the same time. Clearly the MB736 was way off spec or was another blank. But it wasn't an SJ736. I bought another 3 of the MB736 over the summer because I liked the first one so much. Then a ten pound pike wrapped me around the trolling motor and the original rod was broken. I wasn't too upset, because I had the other three blanks. Which turned out to be not at all like the one I broke.

Date: January 07, 2024 12:25AM

I would consider them to be the same.
Norm

Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: January 07, 2024 11:09AM

I have had ups and downs with NFC. Alex has really made some great improvements.

That said, they could really use some SKU rationalization and reallocation of time.

The 80/20 has to apply and they make 100s of blanks. If they cut it back significantly, they would still have plenty of variety. They could have better inventory management, and hopefully better QC as they should become more familiar with each blank.

My buddy got a blank with pen marks and writing all over it. We've gotten blanks that are 5" long and untrimmed or something (favorite blank btw haha), others like mentioned where I have no clue what it is.

Between my buddy and I, we have ordered 25 blanks and had issues with 4 that I know of. Three of which got but the specs were off. One was badly crooked and had to go back.

While shipping times and communication have improved. There still is some room to improve on the QC side.

If I was paying $150+ per blank I would not accept the level of service and quality.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2024 12:05PM

Peter,

Contact the people that can actually help with your issue.

kelsey@northforkcomposites.com or info@northforkcomposites.com

Aleks

Peter Yawn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old MB736 xray = 790 grams of power
> New MB736 xray = 630 grams of power
>
> Measured myself.
>
> This is not a complaint for NFC. I don't want or
> need anything from NFC. Seriously, no need to
> contact me or tell everyone here my order history.
> If I recommended the MB736 as a chatterbait rod
> for anyone here, I am sorry. Old one was great.
> New one not gonna work very well unless you fish
> only open water. Of course the one you get may be
> different. End of rant. On to the search for a
> chatterbait blank.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2024 12:09PM

Norm,

They are supposed to be very similar.

The difference is that the SJ action is slightly faster than the MB action.

Aleks 

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would consider them to be the same.
> Norm

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 07, 2024 01:03PM

NFC has been nothing but good to me. Only have had one blank that I questioned if I got the right one. It was an IM DS6107 but had CCS numbers more in lines with the Delta DS6107. Other than that, my recent order contained an IM MB704 but a decal for an MB734; the CCS is about 26g more than the other MB704 I ordered in the past, but still less than a 5% difference so I think it’s acceptable. Regardless, I have used RodGeeks (which I’ve had order issues ever since St Croix bought them out), MHX, CRB, Rainshadow and NFC blanks. For the price, I don’t think you can beat NFC. I prefer their actions over other brands and their sensitivity is unparalleled at their price points. It’s now to where I look at NFC before any other brand.

That said, MHX and Rainshadow have been the most consistent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2024 01:06PM by Evan Cobb.

Date: January 07, 2024 02:37PM

I’ve been very happy with both the MB736 and SJ736 X-ray blanks. In fact, I’ve never had a problem with any NFC blank I’ve built. They were all of very high quality, and made into exceptionally well performing rods. In my hands, the SJ736 X-ray blanks have consistently measure more powerful and faster then the MB731 X-ray blanks. Just my observations.
Norm

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (74.140.56.---)
Date: January 07, 2024 10:14PM

FYI I measured up two X-ray MB 736 blanks I got over summer. Here’s where they measured

NFC X-ray MB-736 IP=629 AA=71
NFC X-ray MB-736 IP=654 AA=72

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster