I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR concept question
Posted by: samuel pan (---)
Date: January 06, 2024 09:34AM

Hi I'm doing research on how to build my first surf rod and my question is based on the article on Anglers Resource website titled "Building the KR Concept Spinning Rod"

So I decided to go with the 11' Black Hole East Coast 2-6oz lure rated blank and build it according to the KR concept.

The article suggests some guidelines like using the KL25H stripper if using lines greater 20lb braid, the choke and the next running guide should be of the KB series, and the rest of the running guides should be of the KT series. Then they recommended three reduction guide sets which are KL25H, KL12H, KL5.5M for Micro rods, and KL25H, KL12H, KL7M, KL6L or
KL25H, KL12H, KL8M, KL7L for long conventional rods.

So first question is what is the difference in attributes between a micro rod or a conventional rod and which one is recommended for a surf rod for plugging?

Second question is based on the guidelines would my guide order look something like this: KL25H (stripper), KL12H, KL7M, KB6 (choke guide), KB6 (next running guide), KT6, KT6, KT6, KG6 (Tip)?

Many thanks!

Edit: I learned that single footed KL guides are not the best for surf rods intending to use 30-50lb braids and the RV guides are too expensive. So I will be going with the KW series instead for my first build.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2024 06:02PM by samuel pan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR concept question
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: January 06, 2024 10:34AM

Samuel,

A Micro set up uses guides smaller than a size 6 running guide, I believe. Your mock-up guide train would be a 'conventional' build using size 6 guides.

If you scroll down the forum list, you will find some other discussions about the KR Concept. Towards the end of one of those chats surf rod guide trains comes up (on page 3?). Some good talk and explanation there by chris c nash, avid surf fisherman. Perhaps you have already read those posts. I'd try and help you more, but I don't know enough about surf rods to make a reputable comment.

I will copy a link to this discussion.

You are ahead of the game by reading up on the KR concept. Having a firm grasp on the concepts and nomenclature helps greatly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2024 10:43AM by Les Cline.

Date: January 06, 2024 10:41AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is a good discussion on KR.

Posted by: samuel pan (207.237.191.---)
Date: January 06, 2024 02:39PM

oh man thanks for taking the time to refer me to the discussion instead of saying "use the search function" like I should have and for the encouraging words. much appreciated.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2024 05:36PM

If you are going to use double foot KW guides for your surf rod, then you will be be doing a New Guide Concept (NGC) layout and not a KR Concept layout. For surf rods most people use the NGC and it works great. If you want a double foot KR set up then you will need to use the Fuji RV-H guides in the reduction train. However, they only come in a titanium frame, thus they are more expensive. SeaGuide has double foot high frame reduction guides (XQHG) that could be used in a KR-like layout, and they come in both stainless and titanium frames.

Norm.

Date: January 06, 2024 06:34PM

Thanks Norm! it is good to know that there is a more economical way of doing the KR concept layout even if it means venturing away from Fuji guides. I'm curious to know how SeaGuide compares to Fuji guides. What are your experience with them?

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: January 06, 2024 07:21PM

In my opinion, I think the New Guide Concept is the more ideal layout for your 11ft surf rod. The KR concept is more ideal for rods using 14lb mono and under or 30lb braid and under. Essentially, rods smaller and lighter than yours.

You can definitely use the KW guides for the NGC layout.

Date: January 06, 2024 08:16PM

Ryan Edamatsu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my opinion, I think the New Guide Concept is
> the more ideal layout for your 11ft surf rod. The
> KR concept is more ideal for rods using 14lb mono
> and under or 30lb braid and under. Essentially,
> rods smaller and lighter than yours.
>
> You can definitely use the KW guides for the NGC
> layout.

Yea after reading the thread Les Cline linked I realized that NGC with KW guides will be more economically practical. So I went and measured my Shimano Vanford 5000 and punched in the measurements into the GPS (Guide Placement Software) and these are the results.

Angle: 87.41 degrees
Choke: 70.59"
Reduction Guide Train: KW
G1 and G2: Too close
G3: 30 @ 18.74"
G4: 30L @ 27.64"
G5: 25 @ 34.76"
G6: 20 @ 45.71"
G7: 16 @ 52.17"
G8: 12 @ 55.47
G9: 10 @ 57.87"
G10: 8 @ 59.88"
G11: 7 @ 61.61"
G12: 6 @ 63.03"
G13: 5.5 @ 63.98"

Now I know they don't expect me to put guides 2 inches from one another so what gives? I'm guessing I can start at G4: 30L @ 27.64" then, G6: 20 @ 45.71", G9: 10 @ 57.87", G12: 6 @ 63.03", then fit as many size 6 guides as I can and then tip it with a size 6 tip top? Am I on the right track?

Date: January 06, 2024 08:33PM

I don’t do a lot of surf rods, and those that I’ve done I used KW guides in a NGC. However, with that said Fuji recommends the RV25 (55.9 mm), RV16 (36 mm), and KW12H (25.6 mm) as reduction train height grouping for surf rods. The SeaGuide XQ25H (55 mm), XQ16H (35 mm), and XQ12H (26 mm) are very similar in height to the Fuji guides, so they should serve as a suitable substitute. An XQ10 could be used as a choke guide, with XQ8, XQ7 or XQ6 guides being used as runners. Could also use single foot runners if you wished. A lot of different options available. These are my thoughts, and I’m sure others may offer something different.
Norm

Date: January 06, 2024 10:43PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don’t do a lot of surf rods, and those that
> I’ve done I used KW guides in a NGC. However,
> with that said Fuji recommends the RV25 (55.9 mm),
> RV16 (36 mm), and KW12H (25.6 mm) as reduction
> train height grouping for surf rods. The SeaGuide
> XQ25H (55 mm), XQ16H (35 mm), and XQ12H (26 mm)
> are very similar in height to the Fuji guides, so
> they should serve as a suitable substitute. An
> XQ10 could be used as a choke guide, with XQ8, XQ7
> or XQ6 guides being used as runners. Could also
> use single foot runners if you wished. A lot of
> different options available. These are my
> thoughts, and I’m sure others may offer
> something different.
> Norm

I am very very tempted to use 4 KL guides for the reduction train since Fuji says they're designed to work with 9ft+ rods using 30-50lb braid. The only thing stopping me is Chris Nash's experience with single foot guides on his 11ft surf rod and the fact that I don't know of a rod manufacturer that uses it for their surf rods. For example ODM uses NGC for their factory surf rods. Also Ryan Edamatsu's suggesting that KR concepts are for rods using braids under 30lbs. I am conflicted.

Date: January 07, 2024 12:05AM

A double foot KR concept for a surf rod with size 8, 7, or 6 runners (single ft or double ft), as outlines above, will work fine with 30 to 50 # braid. It would be considered a conventional KR layout vs a micro layout. Single foot KL guides would also work, but they are considered NGC guides. Could use KL30, KL20, KL12 to your runners. Another NGC option, KW30, KL20, KL12, to your runners would also work and gives you a double ft butt guide. A double ft NGC option is, KW30, KW25, KW20, KW12 to your single or double ft runners. It should be noted that the KL20 is taller than the KW 20, so it pairs well with either the KW30 or KL30. A bunch of different options out there. It just a matter of choosing an option you like.
Norm

Date: January 07, 2024 04:51PM

Thank you Norm. I have some deciding to do but I'll definitely update here when I do. I appreciate you and everyone's time.

Date: January 11, 2024 10:23AM

samuel,

I found a bit more good info/discussion about surf builds.. Send me an email and I'll send it to you (click my name and you can see my email address). It may help you - or at least get you thinking about things. I know when trying something new or for the first time, I appreciated all the help I could get, and I got a lot of help here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster