I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Incredibly frustrated
Posted by: Al purvis (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 01, 2024 08:45PM

Just wanted to vent something on here. I’m currently finishing up a kr concept nfc x ray build. I noticed that two of my wraps (the first and fourth running guide from the tip top) looked to be slightly shorter than the rest of the running guide wraps. I pulled out the caliper and the rings on these two guides measured smaller than the other runners. (I ordered size 4.5 kt runners) I actually had a spare size 4 laying around and the smaller guides measured exactly the same as the size 4 I had.

Evidently the supplier I got them from, whom I’ll leave nameless as they are great, must have somehow had some size 4’s end up in their 4.5 bin. I know for a fact none of my inventory got swapped up as they obviously label their baggies they put the guides in and I hadn’t even opened the bag until started building this rod.

Anyways, I just wanted to vent how frustrating it is having to rewrap micro guides because of this lol I think I may develop an eye twitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2024 08:46PM by Al purvis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Incredibly frustrated
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2024 09:37AM

I can imagine it is frustrating. But with the advent of such small guides and even half sizes, it's often hard to quickly eyeball guides and sort them perfectly. The difference between a 6 and an 8 is evident. The difference between a 4 and 4.5 not so much, particularly for older eyes.

Posted by: Al purvis (---)
Date: January 02, 2024 11:58AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can imagine it is frustrating. But with the
> advent of such small guides and even half sizes,
> it's often hard to quickly eyeball guides and sort
> them perfectly. The difference between a 6 and an
> 8 is evident. The difference between a 4 and 4.5
> not so much, particularly for older eyes.
>
> ..........

No doubt! I had my wife looking at the guides with me before I pulled out the caliper asking her if she thought they looked smaller, we both had a hard time telling. The caliper confirmed my fear but there’s no ill will towards the supplier I can see how such a mistake would be made.

Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: January 05, 2024 09:21AM

Hi i use the yellow paint brush handle and slide then on hold your thumb nail at the stop from the guide and then you can match them up before you start to wrap not scientific but it works for me happy new year

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: January 05, 2024 09:19PM

Probably an honest mistake on the vendor's part.

It is also an opportunity for the vendor to take a look at their order fulfillment and inventory quality control. Is your experience the only one they have had recently? Is this a rare SNAFU or an on-going issue? This is all to say that, IMO, a great business really wants to have excellent customer service and outcomes - and would find your feedback invaluable. I'm almost sure they would appreciate the opportunity to rectify their mistake, do right by you, and maintain your trust and future business.

I say: Give them the chance to make it right by you. You'll appreciate it and they will, too.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: January 06, 2024 08:24AM

Definitely happens, I kept getting wrong guides from one of the big sponsors and called to be a pain. They sent someone to the warehouse to discover all the cerecoil had been stocked with standard recoils. I didn’t catch it at first due to poor worklight back then. And being old. Customer service was great, stuff just happens.

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: January 06, 2024 06:29PM

With this kind of error, it is fortunately easy to identify as you can just measure the ring sizes.

Now you mention it, I have always wondered about mistakes and guide mixups from the vendor when ordering. What if the ring material is not what was ordered? I think this can be much more difficult to identify, as one can't just measure the rings. Maybe you can look for color differences, but I wouldn't think that is reliable, as many ring material are the same color- black.

Some are easily identifiable, such as Fuji Fazlite guides have a blue tone to them. Fuji also use different frame colors/materials for different types of their guides (Aluminum oxide, Fazlite, Alconite are available in BC or CC finish, but not SIC, for example.) This can help narrow down the possibilities of the ring type for a uknown guide.

It has crossed my mind a few times about this possibility. What if I were to order Alconite guides and unknowingly received Aluminum oxide? Or purchased some zirconium guides and they are titanium oxide in reality? Even if it was a honest mistake and things gets mixed around, you may end up finishing the project and fish with the guides for years, never knowing the error that has occurred.

With a reliable supplier who many trust and is a big name, such error is very likely minimal and rare.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 09, 2024 02:25PM

Al,
When you have some spare time make yourself fome guide sizing sticks.

Make one for micro guides.

One for small to medium guides.

And one for large guides

Sure, one can always use a caliper, but with a calibrated sizing stick, simply drop it on the stick and see where it stops.

An example of a ring sizing stick:
[www.google.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster