I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Thread color shift due to no color preserver.
Posted by: Jeffrey Merlino (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2024 12:49PM

I wanted to add the following photo to help the OP illustrate his point:

[photos.app.goo.gl]

I took this photo when I was rebuilding a SA System 5 rod and trying to match thread color to the original. What this photo shows is 3 wraps of three different threads with a couple of scraped original thread laid in for comparison. The stickie on the thread carrage refs the thread number and whether the wrap was treated with Al's silk-rite (A), nothing (-) or Flex Coat CP (F) and then covered with a quick coat of Spar.

Pretty easy to see the difference in thread color with/without CP as well as non-CP thread color to the original (on the carrage is 704 on the left and the Guidebrod thread on the right).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 21, 2024 01:12PM

John, no I haven't tried anything but epoxy finishes made for wrapping guides. I've used Trodak U 40 LS Supreme, and Flex Coat High Build with Ultra V. And because of what I've been reading about it, I have some Gen 4 that I'll be trying. I can't imagine the Gen 4 is going to be much different than the Flex Coat though. I really like the Flex Coat. I guess we'll see.

And I definitely agree that side by side comparisons in the same image is a much better way of displaying the affect that finish has on thread. Earlier in the thread Richard shared his manner of displaying the difference side by side, by wrapping double foot guides and leaving one wrap unfinished, and applying finish to the wrap on the opposite foot. Instead of wrapping a guide, I plan on just doing a wrap of each other color side by side, and only applying finish to one of the wraps.

Also I mentioned how I am going to take pictures of the wraps in direct sunlight. With the thread colors I've used on my builds to date, direct sunlight really didn't change the appearance of the color all that much. Such is not the case with the test wraps I have posted in this thread. While the wraps still have a color shift, direct sunlight brightens them up to the point where they look lighter than they do under artificial LED lighting that I have over my rod wrapping table.

For instance, I was in love with the shade that the Forged Steel color thread looked under artificial lighting. When in the sun it appears silver with a blue tinge to it. Not really what I was looking for, so I have a few more shades of blue on the way from Mud Hole that I hope I'll be happy with.

To some it might seem like a colossal waste to keep trying different color threads just in hopes of it being a color you'll like. And based on the number of spools of thread that I have that I will most likely never use, I can see how they might think that way. But ..... I don't like how the CPs I have used, dull the sheen of the thread to a degree. I think it takes away some of the richness of the color. So I try different colors until I find one that I like. I enjoy doing it.

And who knows, if the day ever comes to where I decide to start building rods for people other than friends, I'll have a rod with a bunch of test wraps on it, that potential customers can look at

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2024 01:23PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 21, 2024 06:24PM

Here are some pics of some thread and wraps all on a dark carbon test blank. I am a fan of the Nylons that become translucent with finish applied. Only downside is that you can't hide trim tags in most cases so keep that in mind.

[www.dropbox.com]

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 22, 2024 05:02PM

Kevin, Awesome !!!! I love the thumbnails and the ability to scroll through the various pictures. In an earlier post to this thread Mark Brassett suggested using something like Postimage. I signed up for it, but haven't played with it yet. I'm going to work with it as well as the dropbox.com that you used in your post. I'm not super computer literate so which ever is easier to use. will be the one that gets the nod. !!!

And thanks again for posting the pictures. Some of them are colors that I will be posting pics of as well, some of the others that you have pictured, are definitely thread colors I will be ordering. I have a couple of rods where I have just plain black wraps on, and I'm wanting to add some color. Really liking those purples you have pictured.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 23, 2024 11:28AM

David,
The forged steel looks great; I like the understated appearance as opposed to the contrasting colors that are sometimes used. Fuji has a lot of guides in Gunmetal color, and they made a Gunmetal thread for a while. For some reason, I think they discontinued that color because I don't see it anymore, but when I discovered that I bought up 5 spools that a supplier had. Both A and D UltraPoly. I get several requests for "thread to match the guide finish" but with the Gunmetal it goes too dark without CP. Wish I had some that was NOCP. Anyway, I'm in that scenario again right now, but the shade isn't just quite right, so I'm going to make a test wrap with Flex Coat CP and U-40 Color Lock 2 to see if it knocks it down just enough. As I've said before on another thread, most of the CP's will give you a slight color shift (darker) than what you expect to see.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 23, 2024 04:02PM

David, if you're speaking about the Forged Steel color in the pictures I linked in the opening post, I totally agree. I love the color under the LED lighting from the light over my wrapping table. Then I took that rod outside into direct sunlight. In direct sunlight it looks nothing like it does under the LED lighting. It's much brighter. It's actually not a whole lot darker than it looks on the spool. It really has a beautiful sheen. It almost glows. Which is why it looks so much brighter in direct sun.

That's why when I get all the various test wraps on my test rod, I plan on taking pictures with the colors in direct sunlight.

I ordered a few more darker shades of off blue in hopes of getting a color that in direct sunlight, looks like the Forged Steel does under LED lighting.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 24, 2024 01:55PM

David,

I spent a fair amount of time in my shop last night doing test wraps. Maybe I got lazy, but I used some DNA on the wraps to try and discern what would happen if I just used epoxy without color preserver. Oddly enough, almost everything I used the DNA on didn't go way dark; I was surprised at what I was seeing, especially with the 023 Fuji Poly Neon Gunmetal. One thing that prompted all this is an order I have for a spinning rod and the customer is really focused on Michigan State Green with white trim bands. He told me "There's a Pantone and HEX color for the green" which is true, but that doesn't mean that there is a thread made in that hue. I got the Pro Wrap 525 Oak Leaf to get really close, so he's going to have to take it or leave it. I'm going to make up some Flex Coat I've got laying around and hit last night's test wraps with that to verify. I don't want to waste Gen 4 on the job. Incidentally, I've always been an avid Flex Coat fan, and still intend to use it from time to time, but the Gen 4 definitely has fewer problems with bubbles and fish eyes. I think you'll like it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 26, 2024 12:38PM

David,
Thanks for the post.

I agree with your post 100%.

I never use CP, unless specifically asked for by the client of the rod.

I don't use CP for exactly all of the reasons that youstated.

Good post.

Date: January 27, 2024 02:24PM

I'm posting a link to a picture of some thread colors that Ken Delbridge sent me. The way he displayed his, is the way I plan on posting the pictures I take. I want to thank Ken for going to the trouble of doing this kind of thing. Definitely an above and beyond the call of duty kind of thing in my book. Here is a link to what Ken provided. Thanks Ken, much appreciated. [www.rodbuilding.org]

As you can see, Ken is lucky enough to live in a part of the country that actually gets sun in late January. lol I have my test wrap rod turning in my dryer as I write this. I have 16 different colors on it to share, but looking at our weather forecast, we may not have sunshine until the middle of July. LOL Not even a glint of sun is in the 7 day forecast.

Although I really don't want to .....I may just go ahead and take and post some pictures without the wraps being in direct sunlight. While it won't be a true representation of what the final product will look like, it will give an idea of the color changes for various colors. And who knows ? We may actually get a glint of sun when I am actually at home and can get out and get some quick pictures. I know I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

A couple of the new colors I wrapped have some serious promise. It just depends what they end up looking like once I can see it in the sun.

Anyhow...... thanks again Ken. And anyone else that feels like contributing, just go ahead and post right to this thread.

Date: January 28, 2024 06:59AM

Well .... the sun isn't going to be coming out here any time soon, So rather than delay posting more thread color, I did the best I could to get a better representation of what the final product will look like. From what I saw by taking my first offerings out into direct sunlight, the colors will brighten a bit. How much, will depend on the color. You also really don't get a feel for the richness of the colors without seeing them in the sun. I'm just going with these for now. Once I get some sun, I'll take new pictures and replace these pictures, with the new ones.

As far as a color I am definitely thrilled with..... the 819 Ghost Grey will definitely be going on a rod I'll be building using an MB 725 C6O2 blank and XO skeleton casting grip. I'll be putting a brand spanky Shimano Chronarch MGL 150 HG on it. Gonna be sweeeeet lol

Anyhow ....... I borrowed some of the ideas from members who have posted to this thread. Using their ideas is a definite improvement over what I had first posted. Don't beat me up too bad for the sloppiness of the finish edges, or the dust you can see in some of the photos. I know I should have wiped the rod down before taking the pictures. smh .......

All of the thread is regular Pro Wrap nylon

316 Raspberry [www.rodbuilding.org]

325 Fire Red [www.rodbuilding.org]

404 Teal [www.rodbuilding.org]

407 Cool Mint [www.rodbuilding.org]

413 Island Lagoon [www.rodbuilding.org]

416 Denim [www.rodbuilding.org]

425 Blue Suede [www.rodbuilding.org]

513 Guacamole [www.rodbuilding.org]

519 Rainforest [www.rodbuilding.org]

701 Rattan [www.rodbuilding.org]

728 Desert Sand [www.rodbuilding.org]

749 Brown [www.rodbuilding.org]

755 Chestnut [www.rodbuilding.org]

819 Ghost Grey [www.rodbuilding.org]

836 Forged Steel [www.rodbuilding.org]

841 Iron Ore [www.rodbuilding.org]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster