I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Drop shot blank in Cananda
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 20, 2024 04:25PM

Fizzing fish is a good question with various opinions. I tend to believe that pulling them up slowly from this depth range is better than putting even a small hole all the way into their bladder. It’s over a BAR of pressure change so it’s a real consideration. I don't see many lethargic releases from slow ascents from these depths.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ryan Keller (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: January 21, 2024 07:49AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ryan, I have only handled a few Bushido gear rods,
> one the 4/10 dropshot, but many more of the
> discontinued Bushido fly blanks, I wholeheartedly
> agree that they are blanks that bunch well above
> their price point, you won't be disappointed.

I did not go with the bushido blank for the dropshot rod. I ended up with the rainshadow revelation because of a sale that really dropped the price. I do however have a bushido 7'2 ml fast that I am currently building (slowly). I am very happy with that blank for the price point and if it fishes like it feels it will I would not hesitate trying more bushido builds in the future.

Posted by: Ryan Keller (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: January 21, 2024 07:55AM

David Baylor Wrote:
> Ryan, ahh ok. I thought you had the blank in hand.
> And I can understand the disappointment of not
> being able to get the RX10 version, but the
> Revelation blank I built on is very nice. And is
> pretty darned sensitive. My jerkbait rod is built
> on a Revelation REVS68ML and I can feel the tick
> of a fish taking a jerkbait as it sits there
> suspended, or slowly sinking. Plus the blank
> finish really allows a wide choice of thread
> colors.
>
> And I think I have mentioned to you before how I
> have really been trying to shy away from
> recommending blanks for certain things. Rod power
> preferences are just like color preferences for
> guide wraps. Some people like the same thing, some
> people don't.

I agree. What is right for one person is not necessarily right for another. The only true way to tell is to have components in hand. Unfortunately for me that's not an option so I am hoping for the best. I think I will be pleased with the revelation. It should hopefully be delivered this week. I will probably not have time to build it up right away but at least when it's here I can start puttering away on it

Posted by: Ryan Keller (---)
Date: January 25, 2024 07:59PM

My supplier called me Sunday afternoon as he was getting my order ready. There was a stocking issue and they did not have the REVS610MXF in stock but he had 1 IMMS610MXF. When I ordered it said it was the other way around. I ended up getting the immortal for $68 Canadian. I think that's pretty good.

The order arrived yesterday but I just got a chance to really check it out tonight. I wasn't sure I was going to like the color based on the description but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be and I do like it. I love the action and I think it will be just what I was looking for.

The problem I have is when I started looking harder I saw what I thought was sticker residue from a sticker that had been removed. I started trying to clean it off and it wasn't residue it was the blank peeling. It has some sort of clear coat on it and it is peeling. It starts about 15" from the butt and continues upt to about 19". So I can't hide it with the handle.

Has anyone else encountered this with these blanks and if so what did you do about it? Will it just continue to peel? If it does it is not going to look like a quality rod in my opinion.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 26, 2024 10:10AM

The Immortal is my go to series for good performance at a value price. I’ve got one that is openly exposed to highway wind and gravel road dust. Its finish still looks new.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 26, 2024 04:25PM

Ryan, send it back and have them send you another one. I've built on 3 Immortal blanks, and have never encountered what you described. Everyone of them have had a perfect finish on them. I actually would have suggested the Immortal version, as they are phenomenal blanks. Especially for their price point. But not everyone likes the color. I love it.

And I hate to keep harping on rod power, but the Immortal version has an IP 150 grams higher than the RX10 version. I think you're going to be very happy with it. Their sensitivity isn't that much below the RX 10. Gonna be a great rod !!!

Date: January 26, 2024 04:45PM

David Baylor Wrote:
> Ryan, send it back and have them send you another
> one. I've built on 3 Immortal blanks, and have
> never encountered what you described. Everyone of
> them have had a perfect finish on them. I actually
> would have suggested the Immortal version, as they
> are phenomenal blanks. Especially for their price
> point. But not everyone likes the color. I love
> it.
>
> And I hate to keep harping on rod power, but the
> Immortal version has an IP 150 grams higher than
> the RX10 version. I think you're going to be very
> happy with it. Their sensitivity isn't that much
> below the RX 10. Gonna be a great rod !!!

David, I have contacted the supplier that I bought the blank from and he is getting ahold of batson to get it replaced. He said he has seen a few that have done this and batson was terrific to deal with he said. So we are just waiting for a reply from them on what to do next. I am glad that he is dealing with it because again being on this side of the border makes it harder for the shipping part of it all.

So far just from the feel of it i do love the blank. I like the color and it matches the gun smoke guides I bought for it very well. I still haven't decided on a reel seat and handle yet. I'm really leaning towards a small Tennessee handle.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 26, 2024 07:43PM

Ryan, he won't have any problem getting a replacement blank from Batson. I actually had a problem with the straightness of the RX9 ETES610MXF blank I have mentioned in this thread. They sent me a replacement without even needing to send them a picture. It was a no questions asked type of thing.

Date: January 26, 2024 08:10PM

Thats is great to hear David. I have heard great things about their customer service at batson so I'm hoping this process goes smoothly. Like I said being in Canada it is usually harder to get stuff across the border. If it goes through a business it is usually alot better. Usually when I order something it gets held in customs for at least 2 weeks.
Regardless of how long it takes to get here after what I keep hearing about their customer service I am pretty confident that it will get looked after.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: January 27, 2024 07:00AM

A nice 13.5” Tennessee handle work great!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster