I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need another coat of Gen 4
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 26, 2023 12:11AM

I've been liking the Gen 4 a lot. I went a little too thin on a second application (I'm using the Lite Build) and would like to add another thin coat. According to the directions you aren't supposed to put another coat on after a couple of days and it's been over a week. When I was using Flex Coat I have successfully put additional coats of Flex Coat on after 4 or 5 days when I needed to without problems. Is this going to be an issue with the Gen 4?

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need another coat of Gen 4
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 26, 2023 07:28AM

I believe Andy Dear (guy who put Gen 4 on the market) talked about this subject on the "Mastering Rod Building" podcast. If I remember correctly Andy indicated that a lot of people successfully apply additional coats several days/weeks after previous coat application with no issues however to be sure the next coat adheres he recommended lightly scuffing previous coat with a scotchbrite pad or some other light abrasive. I listened to that over a month ago so you may want to have a listen just to confirm. Here is link to podcast [podcasts.apple.com]

You can also find it on other podcast providers as well....

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: December 26, 2023 07:57AM

Optimally, you’d put the next coat on sooner, but you’ll be fine doing it now. It’s not going to hurt anything.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 28, 2023 03:03PM

I have used Gen4 on several blanks at this point, and had no issues in applying a second or third coat after several dats had passed. As stated above, if concerned, just scuff it up a bit with light sandpaper, or just try it on one wrap and see if anything negative happens.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 28, 2023 09:10PM

Kevin,
I accessed the podcast and learned a lot. When I was using Flex Coat most of the time (still do in certain applications) I always machine mixed it for 5 minutes with my shop between 68 and 75 degrees. Turned out great 99% of the time. Andy said not to machine mix it; do it manually with a stir stick, and that ideally my shop should be 70 degrees. It's his product so I'm not going to bend the rules, but so far I've machine mixed it every time and haven't had any problems, even when I mixed 1.5 or 2cc for test wraps. I'd watch it mix and it seemed to be folding nicely without any noticeable unmixed components. I don't do social media (I guess I'm a Luddite), but as long as I can access the podcasts I think I'll be okay. Should that not be adequate I might have to suck it up and open a Facebook account just to read the dialogue on the Gen4 page.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: December 29, 2023 12:08PM

I’ve machine mixed Gen4 for 3 years now / about 3 min a mix - with no issues. It is true that the metal mixing piece will not scrape the sides of the cup as well as hand mixing - when I pour out the epoxy into my dish I then use the brush to help get it all out of the cup and sometimes I’ll see some consistency differences that result / but I’ll stir it a bit in the dish - just a little - and then I apply at speed on my power wrapper and figure that mixes any that needs to remain. Not had a (knock on wood) bad mix yet moving anywhere from 1 to 6 cc of each part

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 30, 2023 09:13AM

Over the years, I have applied a new finish on some rods that were years old during a refresh of the rods.

I will simply say that I clean the rod with Windex, wipe it with a paper towel, let it dry overnight and apply the finish.

Yes, I read the recommendations about scuffing up the previous finish. I have to admit that in the years of rod building I seldom, if ever scuff up a previous finish. I simply apply the finish and let it dry.

I have never seen or had any issues with the finish lifting after the application and drying of the finish.

But, if you wish to scuff the finish, go for it - scuffing - in theory - will insure a better final result.

Best wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster