I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mottled thread
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 23, 2023 08:35PM

I'm doing a repair on a rod (replacing two guides) and trying to match the original thread color as closely as possible. It's kind of a jade green. I made test wraps of all the green threads I have (10) and found one that comes pretty close. It's a Gudebrod nylon size A in medium green. After applying some Flex Coat to the thread without any CP, the color is very mottled and streaky. I made an additional test wrap with reduced thread tension thinking that might be the source of the problem, but that one is streaky as well. Any thoughts?

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mottled thread
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: December 23, 2023 09:24PM

On another do-over try some gentle warming of the applied finish to see if it will yield a more uniform thread penetration and resulting color.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sf-cable.astound.net)
Date: December 23, 2023 10:00PM

Pack it tighter.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: December 24, 2023 08:28AM

Make a test wrap with no CP and apply finish. How does it look? Try another spool of thread and use CP on it and apply finish. How does that look? The only way to find the problem is to try a couple things and narrow down where the problem really is. It might be the thread. It might be the CP

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 24, 2023 11:51AM

He mentioned that he didn't use CP on the test wraps. The CP he used can't be the problem, if he didn't use it. Maybe trying CP is the answer?

I'd be curious if wetting a wrap with alcohol, as you would to get an idea of thread color once finish is applied, would show the same type of streaking? I'm guessing it probably wouldn't. But if it did, then that would point to the problem being with the thread.

From what I understand Gudebrod hasn't been made in quite some time. Had you ever used this spool of thread in the past without any problems, but now you're having a problem with it?

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 24, 2023 02:01PM

I would dispose of 10 yards off of the top of that spool and do another test wrap using a different epoxy that has better wetting properties. Check the breaking strength of your thread, if it breaks easily it may be dry rotting due to improper storage. You may have to go deeper into the spool to reach good thread.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: December 26, 2023 12:01AM

I made three more test wraps with the thread. Number one I packed really tight and had a lot more tension on the thread than I usually use. Number two I added ~0.6cc of acetone to the mixed finish. Number three I wet the thread with acetone and then used some of the remaining mixed finish(with the acetone in the mix). They all showed some streaking. Number one the least, then number two. Number three was actually slightly better than number two, but the thread went almost transparent (which I liked, but not for this application). Smart money is it's the thread. The rod I'm repairing is a GLoomis Conquest spinning rod. The customer told me to just get it close if possible; he could send it to GLoomis but would rather have me do the work. I'm going to order a spool of ProWrap regular nylon because they show a Jade Green and try a couple of test wraps; one without CP and one with to see what I get.

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 02, 2024 04:15PM

I used to have the same issues with the lighter colors of Gudebrod thread. These were solved for me by an old-timer who said it was my body oils, they were preventing the epoxy from fully penetrating the thread. He advised I either use light gloves (he mentioned cotton glove liners) when handling the thread or washing my hands thoroughly before handling the thread. As a hand-wrapper, I was constantly touching the thread and getting my body oils on it! I then began washing my hands with a quality soap and drying them thoroughly before using my older untreated Gudebrod thread and my problem was solved! I have never had any more issues with mottling or color streaks in untreated thread of any brand, color, or size.

Rich

Date: January 02, 2024 11:24PM

RIchard,

I use a power wrapper 95% of the time and am pretty fastidious about having clean hands when I do anything with a rod. I have more test wraps to do tomorrow, so I'll pay extra attention to clean hands. I've got some color matching to do, so I'll be both using CP on part of the wraps, and no CP on the other half. Curious to see if it still gets mottled with CP. As I mentioned earlier on a suggestion from another participant, it COULD be the thread.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Dave Sytsma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster