I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji ultra poly thread
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---)
Date: December 23, 2023 02:24PM

I just finished wrapping an NFC blank with Fuji Ultra Poly thread size A. I thought it was NOCP but there is significant darkening of the wraps when putting on the rod finish. I was using Blue Dun #10.
I was wondering if you use color preservative when you use Fuji Ultra thread?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji ultra poly thread
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 23, 2023 03:01PM

I don't know if Fuji offers the Ultra Poly in a color fast version. If not, then you need to use color preserver to keep the color as close as possible to the color of the thread on the spool.

I know that on Mud Hole's web site, the product details for Ultra Poly read ......" Use with color preserver, to maintain more of its original color"

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: December 23, 2023 03:18PM

The Fuji Blue Dun I got is labeled “NOCP Poly thread”. I guess it’s different than the “Ultra” Poly.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2023 03:50PM

The Fuji UltraPoly thread comes in two different types; regular and NOCP. If the spool doesn’t state NOCP then it isn’t. The regular thread will require CP to maintain the color, otherwise it will darken and become more translucent. The NOCP thread will retain it color and remain opaque without the need for CP.
Norm

Date: December 23, 2023 05:10PM

Thanks for the replies. I just assumed it was NOCP, but it wasn’t labeled that way. Not a big deal as I stopped finishing when doing the first guide. When I asked “Siri” the links said it did not need color preservative. Last time I trust her!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 23, 2023 05:57PM

If you like the result of the first one, do the rest too. Some builders never use CP. Sometimes you can get some really interesting colors by using regular thread and not using CP. If you want a ripe sweet cherry color, use regular merlot or garnet. Experiment, you may find some neat stuff.

Date: December 23, 2023 07:08PM

Yes, not using CP can give some very nice looks.
On this particular rod, a 8 ft 3wt NFC Gary.
Loomis Classic, I want to try to duplicate the original Loomis finish. I have fished an original for 30 years and it’s my favorite rod. I think the whole Gary Loomis story is an interesting one.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: December 23, 2023 07:16PM

I never use CP. I adjust the colors to look good knowing that they are going to get a bit transparent. So once you know they are going to appear darker and a bit transparent you choose your colors based on what you know the end result is going to be.

Date: December 24, 2023 07:07AM

However, if one wants bright, vibrant colors with regular thread, CP has to be used. At least I've never found a way to get a bright candy apple red without CP (assuming regular thread, which I like for its sheen.).

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: December 24, 2023 03:07PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, if one wants bright, vibrant colors with
> regular thread, CP has to be used. At least I've
> never found a way to get a bright candy apple red
> without CP (assuming regular thread, which I like
> for its sheen.).

Trick I learned from Ernie Horvath at a NC gathering the year ICRBE was cancelled due to Covid….

Wrap with metallic silver - then overwrap with regular thread (red in the example). No CP - just epoxy. Result is a deep rich candy apple look.

You may find the need to apply a light coat of epoxy to the metallic to make it easier to wrap but it’s not always needed. I use Hitena A metallic which is a hair smaller than Fuji A and can wrap over without issue.

Other colors of underwrap can yield nice effects as wel - such as gold metallic under red

Date: December 24, 2023 03:09PM

Date: December 24, 2023 05:11PM

Neat! Didn't know that, thank you.

However, having said that, I would rather do one wrap instead of two, and use CP to get a bright wrap and a lighter tip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2023 05:13PM by Michael Danek.

Date: December 24, 2023 06:15PM

They are totally different looks - NCP looks to me like painted on plastic - so to each their own - the extra effort is worth it to me. As to lighter tip…. Well with applying epoxy only after wrapping the second wrap and using the a very fine A metallic and size A nylon, I am going to seriously doubt a noticeable difference on anything other than ultralight blanks but I’m not going to get caught up in that debate

Date: December 24, 2023 06:17PM

Overwrapped with Maderia and no CP so even a bit lighter than Fuji A

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2023 06:18PM by Michael Ward.

Date: December 24, 2023 06:20PM

One more a light and bright :)

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 24, 2023 06:51PM

I haven't tried NCP thread, but I have done test wraps using U 40 and Flex Coat CPs, and the thread doesn't have the same sheen as regular thread with just finish over it.

Michael Ward, I am interested to hear about your results with the Gen 4 Vivid color preserver that you had a thread about not all that long ago. In the pictures you posted it appears that there was a nice sheen to the thread after applying the first coat of Vivid.

I'm curious as to the results after the second coat of Vivid, and then results after you applied finish to the wrap. I have a bottle of the Vivid in my Mud Hole cart. If the thread has a nice rich sheen after you applied finish over it, I'll go ahead and order it.

Like others have mentioned, I choose thread colors based on what I think they'll look like without CP and just finish on them. I've gotten some beautiful colors that way, but it would be nice to find a CP that doesn't change the color of the thread that much, and still have the thread retain that beautiful sheen.

Also, I love the looks of the over wrapping you pictured, Some beautiful vibrant colors. Very nice !!!

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 24, 2023 08:29PM

I love the look of variegated thread without CP.

Make a test stick and see what thread will or won't look like under epoxy before making a final decision. So easy, and so smart when considering the lifetime of the finished product and the time involved to change it after the fact.
For example, I personally don't mind seeing the guide foot 'shadow' under the wraps after epoxy is applied. There is an elegance to the maker's mark of creation....showing how something was made. and what it is made of.

Date: December 25, 2023 07:25AM

Lots of good ideas!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster