I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marathon, FL - Trout, snook and jack blank
Posted by: Francis Santangelo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2023 10:54PM

Building an inshore blank for someone who fishes down in marathon and Marco island for mostly inshore species.
Going to be a surprise present from his brother and he is not sure what weight and line he is using.

Was considering between one of the Rodgeeks 7’6’’ geeks inshore models or one of the NFC APFG blanks
I would assume he is using 10-20lb test and throwing 3/8-2 ounces at most? Would they be fishing even lighter? (North easterner here)
The only good input i got was that his brother likes a little more action in his rod.

Any advice on models to consider or tackle typically used for this would be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marathon, FL - Trout, snook and jack blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 23, 2023 03:11AM

Not sure what "a little more action' is, but a medium inshore would be a good choice for trout and jacks, not my choice for snook. Med Hvy would be ok for snook, not so good for trout.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: December 23, 2023 06:33AM

I'm with Spencer. You will have to choose one or the other. Big snook and jacks with a MH and trout and small snook with the M.

Posted by: Robert Henry (---)
Date: December 23, 2023 08:54AM

For trout I use medium or medium light moderate or fast. They have very soft mouths. Don’t have snook up here in the panhandle, but that setup wouldn’t be ideal for Jacks. Need a more powerful rod for them.

How much time do you have? I have a NFC IS 764 and 705 X-rays on order…should be shipping soonish and I can get you some info on them.

Have built a few IS 703 X-rays as inshore casting rods. Great for a dedicated trout/small redfish rod. Not enough power for the others you mention in most people’s opinion.

I am a big fan of the NFC X-ray inshore line, but I went in blind as there isn’t much data on them out there.

Posted by: Francis Santangelo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 23, 2023 12:09PM

ok got it thanks for the input.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: December 23, 2023 12:50PM

My go-to for inshore (trout, reds, and flounder) is the equivalent of the rodgeeks x-comp 7’3” 0 power. It is light enough to enjoy catching trout and strong enough to handle the larger fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster