I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy cutting question
Posted by: Francis Santangelo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2023 07:16PM

Put on a decal and realized its a bit off angle. It’s bothering me and thinking about cutting the section off and re-wrapping it.

Better to do this after the epoxy fully sets?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy cutting question
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 21, 2023 09:16PM

Francis,

I would wait for the epoxy to set. It will make the process of removing the decal easier and less messy, IMO.

To clarify things, you are talking about removing the epoxy and decal and not cutting this part of the blank off, right? I would just remove the epoxy and decal and leave the blank intact. Is the decal area between split grips? If so, this is ideal.

Removing the epoxy and decal:
* If I had to remove a decal today that was covered with epoxy, there are two ways I would think about doing it:

Method 1:Carefully sand off the epoxy and decal with sandpaper backed with a sanding block. I'd start with 100 grit to get rid of the bulk of the material - then switch to a fine grit paper as I got close to the blank surface (like 400, 600, or 800). Sand and rotate the rod to take down the epoxy - no flat spots. The sanded epoxy will look 'whitish' in color and the dust will be like chalk powder. When the epoxy is gone, the blank will look black in color. Be careful, go slowly, and use a light touch. If you see black on the sandpaper, stop sanding in that area. The goal is to remove the epoxy and little to no blank material.

Method 2: Use a single edge razor blade, held at a 90-degree angle to the blank, and scrape it all off. Believe it or not, this will NOT cut into the blank and do a very good job of removing epoxy, and paint, from the surface.

Wipe off the dust on the blank with a clean, lint-free or tack-free cloth. I have washed with Dawn and dried with a clean (lint-free) cloth before and it worked great. Some discourage the use of alcohol or other solvents on a surface before applying epoxies, I suppose to avoid introducing contaminants.

That's what I would do if I were in your shoes. Hope it helps.

Date: December 21, 2023 10:23PM

Thanks for the response Les.

So to answer your question yes i just want to remove the decal which is over a wrap with epoxy on top of it.

What I was considering was to heat the area, take a fresh razor down to the blank, peel back the epoxied thread (possibly sand with 600 or 800?), then rewrap epoxy and apply a new decal.
The thread is a white glow nylon size A so i was going to cut along the bottom side incase I nick the blank an all.

I initially thought about trying to sand it down but didnt want to damage the wrap underneath and end up with more of a mess.

Have been weighing the risk/reward of doing all of this on top of it. The build is basically done, but If I can successfully fix this I would like to.

Date: December 22, 2023 12:22PM

So just to update those that care to know. I went with the plan I outlined above.

All i had was a very light coat over the thread and another over the decal.

I used a heat gun and took a razor to the back end very lightly and once i got the blade deep enough the wrap sort of spread on its own and got the entire section off successfully. With the new thread on is unnoticeable. Happy with how it ended up.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---)
Date: December 22, 2023 11:08PM

You could wrap over the decal area, epoxy, decal and final coat. Down side is won’t be level with the rest unless you build it up too

Posted by: Robert Henry (---)
Date: December 25, 2023 01:44PM

Francis,
Thanks for following up. That’s the way I have done it when doing rod repair. Works pretty well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster