I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tape on Ice Rod Handle Length?
Posted by: Marcus McCleery (---.nwlnmn.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: December 21, 2023 04:45PM

I guess with the new "stick-to-itself tape" Reel seats are being eliminated from ice rods. Just had some high school seniors come in and order some Walleye ice rods with no reel seats. They want a butt a split and and a grip that they can tape a handle to. I started making them and am questioning the length? I made the platform 4" long and now it seems too short. thankfully I can remake em. Does anyone know what those lengths are? Don't want their hands hanging off. I think I may need to go to 5"?? - Thanks for your help !!

Marcus McCleery

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tape on Ice Rod Handle Length?
Posted by: Brian Jackson (---)
Date: December 21, 2023 05:35PM

That sounds about right to me. Many people grip the stem of the spinning reel almost like a pencil. The split between the butt and grip rests in the crotch between the thumb and forefinger

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: December 23, 2023 01:47PM

Ask the customer how long they want the grip. Everyone has different hand sizes and grip styles.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 24, 2023 12:36PM

Marcus,
When I was building lots of ice fishing rods, I was buying 5 inch grips that worked very well. Since I was doing so many, it just made more sense to purchase the grips, ready to go.

For myself, every ice rod that I own uses a tape on reel seat. When fishing in the cold, the cork grip is much warmer than any sort of metal, nylon or other reel seat material.

Posted by: Marcus McCleery (---.nwlnmn.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: December 24, 2023 12:49PM

Thanks Roger. I just made some with eva foam and made them 5" I like that better for my bigger hands. The other 5 rods I turned Basswood handles that are also warm and easy to tape reels on.

Marcus McCleery

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 25, 2023 08:58PM

This is a grip that I turned from Alaska - Diamond Willow. The client had brought it back with him after a trip to Alaska.

I ended up making several ice rods with these wood grips turned on a lathe.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

For the rod finish, I simply used 2-coats of flex coat thread finish and it has held up very well indeed.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster