I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old St. Croix garage rods…Good for Florida?
Posted by: Francis Santangelo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 18, 2023 07:16PM

Found 2 St. Croix rods in the garage

One is a SWC70MF rated 15-30 and is some sort of composite with no lure rating
Other is a PM70MHF rated 20-50 3/4-3oz

Rods are slightly weathered, could use a light sanding on the grips and a replacement guide or 2 but in decent condition.
Being a North Easterner, I used to use them for stipers and blues in HS but am wondering if they could handle offshore species in florida since my parents just moved down there?

Hoping the SW could be used for jigging larger snappers and grouper and the PM for live bait.

Anyone familiar with these and what the best SE Florida application would be?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2023 07:18PM by Francis Santangelo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old St. Croix garage rods…Good for Florida?
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 19, 2023 01:31AM

[stcroixrods.com]

[stcroixrods.com]

You can see both models in these rod charts. I would use them without hesitation for anything in their weight range. Both of these rod series had good reputations for reasonable sensitivity while being durable. The Mojo saltwater doesn’t carry a casting weight as they were more multi-purpose, including jigging and bait. I’d think it could easily handle six ounce jigs as I’ve used them on similar weight rods. Any species you would feel comfortable on 30lb mono should work. The rod chart goes to 40lb for braid, but most anglers seem to use more like 50lb braid as a substitute for this size of mono. If you use a scale to dial in a true 12lbs or so of drag (which is actually a quite a lot when accurately measured) you should be okay. Obviously, you won’t instantly pull a giant grouper away from a line cutting reef with this level of drag. If you need to do that, it’s a different tackle-size of ballpark. PNW anglers have caught many stubborn, triple digit halibuts with 12-15lbs of drag. I bought a Penn 4/0 from an elderly sailfish angler that maxed out in this range. After a rebuild, it hit 17lbs. The point is to know your intended drag use and reel’s true capacity to evaluate the suitability of a rod. Measuring is rare and many anglers believe they use way more drag than empirical data reveals.

I’ve not owned either rod, but I have owned several St. Croix Premiers and similar composite St. Croix/Rod Geeks. None have ever failed. I take a GLoomis Musky rod on nearly every saltwater trip. It’s a very versatile backup and the freshwater label doesn’t change this. I do use it a little on saltwater most years and it’s been fine for about 20 years. If I hadn’t built some United Composite rods I would use it as a primary within its weight range. There are plenty of experienced saltwater anglers who use musky labeled rods for inshore and light to moderate weight pelagic fishing. The cork grips have held up great and some makers still use them for saltwater.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2023 10:19AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Date: December 19, 2023 11:34AM

Great thanks Kendall.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 19, 2023 12:02PM

There is no industry standard ratio for drag weight versus line weight. A conservative rule of thumb is 33% for rated mono weight, which in your composite’s case would be 10lbs. I have enough experience with these SCII composites to go a couple of pounds more without any worry. That’s enough to get most of your target fish species away from the bottom up to the low to maybe mid-40lb size class. I think it’s all relative to how easy it is for them to tangle and cut on bottom structure. We catch large halibut on west coast sand domes without monster drags and rods.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: December 20, 2023 08:26PM

What species do you mean? Snook? Maybe.Bonefish easily. Tarpon probably not. Bay, inshore or offshore?

Date: December 22, 2023 03:03PM

Mike Ballard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What species do you mean? Snook? Maybe.Bonefish
> easily. Tarpon probably not. Bay, inshore or
> offshore?

Was hoping to fish them on boats offshore.

Sounds like you don't think they would be able to handle it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2023 10:57PM by Francis Santangelo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster