I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Older Sage RodBlanks
Posted by: Barry Burt (---.surfnetc.com)
Date: December 15, 2023 11:30PM

I just received a windfall of older Sage rod blanks still in the package with the original prices on the tag. Most are fly rod blanks but there are also 3 spinning rod blanks. Here is the list of blanks and their prices: 080SLT 3pc no price, 181SLT 3pc no price, 490SP 2pc $165 ,490XP 2pc $165, 490VPS 2pc $174.38, 690SP 2pc $268, 890XP 2pc $276, 890SLT 4pc $184, 1090XP 4pc $308, GSP370 2pc $150 and GSP153 2pc $ 89. Knowing that these blanks are from the late 90’s - early 2000’s and that blank technology has come a long way since then would these prices be too high if I were to sell them? I just don’t have the time or inclination to build this many rods. Any help on fair pricing would be much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Older Sage RodBlanks
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 16, 2023 01:34AM

In my opinion, the premium fly rods of that vintage were fairly sophisticated and the better designed ones hold their own okay relative to contemporary ones. The resin systems have progressed, but some blanks in the early 2000’s had improved quite a bit in this area over the early to mid 90’s. Those prices wouldn’t seem much out of line if a warranty was in effect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 01:40AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 16, 2023 02:06AM

0 and 1 power rods don't seem to be near as popular as the used to be, The XP, SP, SPL SLT rods all have their champions, 2 piece won't be as popular a the 3 and four piece, some go completely gaga over the 5 piece models. The GSP series are nice, but you don't see them much due to cost I believe. Sage has spent a lot of time and money trying to get the actions of these old rods with their high end carbon and resins, I think the vast majority think they didn't succeed, if they have actually fished the old models.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 10:54AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: December 16, 2023 01:15PM

Fly fishermen are a different breed and they appreciate different things. Sometimes “retro” is a favorable thing and sometimes it’s so good companies may bring something back (ie Scott Fly Rod’s “G” Series fly rods). I think guys that used those blanks in the past would know better how they compare to today’s rods. I’d say they’re worth at least what they’re stickered at from back then though (inflation alone covers that).

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 16, 2023 03:55PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sage has spent a lot of time and money
> trying to get the actions of these old rods with
> their high end carbon and resins, I think the vast
> majority think they didn't succeed, if they have
> actually fished the old models.

I sold and occasionally used Sage rods just a little before this era. I think they succeeded at what they were trying to do, although I didn't agree with it. They really bought into the stiff, fast philosophy of fly rod design. After a few years of the old school guys deriding them as “parking lot rods”, they added a soft and much slower series. It seemed like they went well past the “Goldilocks” point for the sake of differentiation. I used my pro-deal to purchase Thomas & Thomas rods which were far less popular. It was nearly universal when I handed one to a Sage owner that they would get sheepishly interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 03:56PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Barry Burt (---.lsancax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: December 16, 2023 04:29PM

Appreciate your input. Thanks it help to get other’s opinions.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 16, 2023 07:36PM

The oldest Sage price I have for your 080SLT and 181SLT are $255 and $257.50 respectively.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster