I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on light or ultralight blanks
Posted by: Steve Stolle (---.one-eleven.net)
Date: December 13, 2023 12:38PM

Hello to all. I have been searching for a rod blank 9 feet long 2 pc that is rated for 1/32 lure weight. What i am seeking is the ability to perceive very light crappie bites coupled with the ability to cast long distances. Right now I am using a rod I built , Batson REVS90L-2SB , the rod performs well and I am very happy with it. Where I would like to improve on it is the feel for light bites . I have another Batson rod I built, REVS72UL-2Sb , this one has the feel for bites I would like in a 9 foot rod. I do not have the means to buy several blanks to experiment with so I am hoping to tap into the extensive knowledge base here for advice. I have seen one rod blank with the specs I am pursuing. The Phenix Elixir series B-FX-S 902-2. Doing homework on the Elixir blank 2 things concern me 1) durability , will it break easily and 2) availability , when could I get it it seems to be out of stock everywhere. I have considered extending a blank , using an article found here from Rodbuilding Magazine as a resource. Extending a rod blank requires a good blank with proper characteristics as a candidate , again knowledge I do not possess. So I hope my ramblings are making sense lol. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on my quest for a super crappie rod lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on light or ultralight blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 13, 2023 01:44PM

My choice for distance and slinging light weight would have been the 9 1/2 ft, light powered Rainshadow, your rod has a 5.5 tip I believe, the other a 4 tip, yours low lure weight is 1/4 oz. the IST 1141 F is 1/16 oz. Schneider's to the left shows they have some at around half price. Durability, they have been catching steelhead, salmon and trout with those blanks for decades and decades. I use mine for crappie and other panfish all the time. Looking at Schneider's Hot Special section, your blank would be listed as IST 1082 F if you want to do a comparison yourself.
NFC also has a lot of UL and L powered blanks of many lengths.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2023 02:58PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 13, 2023 07:12PM

If you can live with 9'6", look at the IST 1141 just below the one Spencer mentioned, also at Schneider's. It is however M, instead of M-fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2023 07:30PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: December 13, 2023 07:56PM

Thank you Spencer and Lynn I will look into IST 1141. These are the specs on my present rod ,

REVS90L-2SB
Series : Revelation RX7
Item Length (in) : 9'0"
Rod Blank Color : Satin Black
Rod Blank Application : Panfish
Rod Blank Application : Bobber / Live Bait
Rod Blank Application : Float & Fly Bass
Material : RX7 Graphite
Number of Pieces : 2
Action : Mod-Fast
Power : Light
Line Rating (lbs.) : 4-10lb.
Lure Weight Rating (oz.) : 1/16-1/4oz.
Weight (oz.) : 2.1oz.
Butt Diameter : 0.402
Tip Top Size : 5.0

Date: December 13, 2023 08:14PM

Huh, your specs don't match the earlier or current specs for line and lure ratings on that blank. Butt and tip match, but line rating is 6 to 10, lure rating is 1/4 to 1/2 oz. in both earlier (2019) and recent catalogs and they hold no mention of recommended presentation uses you posted. Most be specific rating given by Git Bit or whoever you bought from. My specs are Batson company specs.

Date: December 13, 2023 09:03PM

The above specs I posted are from the Batson website . I just posted them to be more specific on what I have .

Date: December 13, 2023 09:34PM

My apologies, they snuck a new one in on me, Even had its own sneaky category, I learn something new everyday.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: December 14, 2023 08:35AM

Steve - Email me @ voodoorods@cox.net. I have a blank I can send you to test out if you want.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.191.137.156.ipv4.supernova.orange.pl)
Date: December 14, 2023 04:17PM

How about a 2 or 3wt. fly blank?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster