I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps Upgraded Chuck Wobble
Posted by: John Nesse (68.47.86.---)
Date: December 10, 2023 09:41PM

I’m struggling with my alps chuck and the wobble it’s imparting. I bought the wrapper with this chuck already installed. It worked great for over a year. Everything is still tight. I can barely tell it’s wobbling without a rod in it, but when I’m wrapping a rod (or more significantly when I’m epoxying thread wraps and therefore spinning faster) the wobble is very noticeable and making my work much harder. I absolutely cannot figure out how to diagnose the wobble or adjust the chuck. I’m interested in any advice that might help. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps Upgraded Chuck Wobble
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 11, 2023 12:16AM

Wrappers are not lathes, things like this happen, everything can flex, have you checked the bed to see if it is still tight, the larger and heavier your rod and components are the more likely this will happen as you swing more weight around. I've been lucky with my Custom Power Wrapper, it's made with mini lathe parts and has great for near 30 years, I have a few times had the work pinched in two jaws out of the three and it's done that. I have no idea how your Alps is built, my Pac Bay Wrapper with the better chuck is a mess compared to the CPW, everything is far less stable. Try getting your first support as close as you can to the chuck and make sure the rod rests level in the supports. Applying finish a little slower is all I can think of doing in the interim, some use their drying motor for the job.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: December 11, 2023 09:11AM

John - can you tell what is wobbling - is it at the chuck? Is it perhaps alignment of the stands to the chuck center plane? The main times I get instabllity is if a) the stand heights are out of alignment from each other and the centerpoint of the chuck b) there is a long distance from the chuck to 1st stand (sometimes you can't control this based on the handle and decorative wraps, etc) or c) I have a large stripper guide or roller guide which creates a level of unbalance.

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: December 11, 2023 10:16AM

Follow up on Spencer's comment about "...pinched in two jaws out of the three..."- if one or more of the rubber jaws are damaged or displaced, the blank will be gripped off center with respect to the chuck's rotational axis and the blank will wobble. Might have to replace the rubber jaws (about $8 for 6).

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 11, 2023 11:47AM

John,
When diagnosing chuck run out or wobble, be sure to concentrate on only ont thing.
i.e. the chuck and its jaws.

You are concerned with the chuck, the chuck mount and the chuck jaws.
You are not concerned with rod stands, the rod rests, nor the lathe bed. Of course all of these parts are necessary for a perfect rod wrapper, but none of these items have anything to do with chuck run out or wobble.

When working with such a situation, be sure to start from the beginning as Mary Poppins would say.

Start with the chuck head stock and its bearings. Is the head stock secure and not moving at all when the motor is turning the chuck. Do you have any runout or wobble in the shaft on which the chuck is mouunted. i.e. you need a solid stand with no movement and you need a solid shaft that is not moving sideways or up and down at all when the shaft is turning. If you have verified that you have a rock solid mount for the head stock and have 0 wobble in the head stock bearings, you can move on to the chuck.

At this point - do not worry about the jaws on the chuck.

Rather, now, work only on the chuck itself. If you have access to a dial indicator and stand, use it. For example:
[www.amazon.com]

However, if you don't have access to a dial indicator, you can simply use masking tape and a marker. Use a stand of some sort. Place a layer of masking tape uniformly across the face of the chuck. Then, holding the marker on the stand, facing the masking tape on the rotating chuck, have the chuck turn at a slow speed with the marker held close to the chuck to find if the face of the chuck has any runout or wobble as it rotates.

If you have a wobble or runout on the face of the chuck, you need to resolve that issue before moving on. Is the problem in the head stock bearings, is the problem in the shaft that runs trhough the bearings. i.e. is there a bend in the shaft. Is there an issue in the way that the chuck is mounted on the shaft?

Once you have made sure that you have 0 run out or wobble in the head stock shaft, bearings and the mount of the chuck itself, it is time to move onto the jaws.

To verify this and you may also use it for your initial checking, use a piece of absolutely straight drill rod. Chuck the drill rod tightly into the chucks jaws and then check the runout of the long straight drill rod. Note: we are only speaking of the chuck and the chucks mount in this entire exercise. We are not considering rod stands or rod rests at all. Of course rod stands and rod rests are an important and necessary part of a power wrapper, but it is not germain to the issue of chuck wobble or run out.

------------------------------
So, you have now checked everything on the chuck mounts and the face of the chuck itself. You are now checking for wobble or runout in the jaws. If you have a perfect head stand, a perfect set of bearings, a perfectly running chuck face with 0 runout or wobble, but have wobble in the end of a straight drill rod that is mounted in the chuck the problem has to be in the chuck;s jaws, the jaw mounts or the internal alignmnet of the chucks jaws. So, when it comes to the chucks jaws, you have to insure that each jaw is identical and that each jaw is mounted pefectly with - 0 slop or play.

=====================================
At the end of the day, if you have a wobble in your rod holder that is the chuck, head stock and stand assembly that you can't resolve and see no solution - then move on to an entirely different setup.

Consider emulating or dubplicating what Renzetti uses for its head stands and chuck. Essentially, Renzetti is using Machine Shop quality head stand, bearings, shaft, chuck and jaws.

When I built my first power wrapper a long time ago, I had issues with wobble, and simply lived with the wobble. One way to live with the wobble that simply works very well, is to take about three #64 rubber bands and wrap each one around the butt of the rod or around the blank if you are working iwth a multi piece rod and insert the rubber band wrapped grip in your chuck. With a cushion of rubber on the rod butt or on the rod blank, the chucks jaws do not need to be very tight to have a slip free setup to turn the rod. Then, just let the chuck wobble a bit and take care of the issue by simply aligning the rod stands and rod rests accurately so that as soon as one is away from the end of the rod, there will be no runout or wobble to worry about.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
p.s.
Years ago, on the same vein as the renzetti lathe, I moved on to a "Taig" set of hardware to hold my rods on my power wrapper. i.e. a Taig head stock and a Taig chuck with a 3 or 4 jaw setup with perfectly matched soft aluminum jaws.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
However, my current setup uses a custom built head stock that is made very simply from a block of nylon, two 1/2 inch bearings inset into the block and a 1/2 inch keyless drill chuck that comes with its 1/2 inch straight 1/2 inch shaft. On the end of the 1/2 inch shaft, I have a 2 inch timing belt pulley that is driven by a dc motor that has a similar timing belt mounted on the motor shaft that drives the head stock.

For example:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

In this case, the small DC motor to drive the head stock is covered by the piece of pvc tubing that is directly below the head stock chuck which is the keyless 1/2 inch Jacobs chuck.

p.s.
I sold off my Taig head stock and other taig chuck as part of a power drive setup that was wanted by another rod builder.

p.p.s.
In the case of the jaws that you see on the taig chuck in the picture of my setup, each of the jaws were removed from the chuck and line matched with an inside countour having a 1 inch diameter to give a full grasp of the typiccal rod butt that I am working with. I keep a layer of painters tape over the face of the jaws to both soften and give a better grip of the jaws on the butt of the rod without having to use so much pressure that would leave marks on the new rod grip. The jaws were machine matched by a shop to have identical shape and length to essentially eliminate virtually all run out or wobble in the chuck.

Take care

-------------------------------------
If you wish to purchase any Taig parts or accessories, here is a starting point: [taigtools.com]
One can browse the catalog to get ideas on what might or might not be useful for you as a rod builder.

Little city Machine Shop is another supplier of quality machine shop parts that may be useful for a rod builder in some fashion:
[littlemachineshop.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2023 11:49AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: December 11, 2023 11:53AM

Hi John,
I'd suggest the following tests to hopefully pin down the issue.

Remove the rubber jaw covers, close the chuck completely (with nothing in it) and power it at different speeds. If you observe runout/wobble, then something is going on with the chuck and you should reach out to Bob with Batson Warranty here: [batsonenterprises.com]

If no runout is observed in the first test, I'd then suggest spinning a blank in the chuck without the jaw covers installed and again check for runout/wobble. You might throw a few wraps of tape around the blank, sticky side out, to keep it from flying out of the chuck, and of course adjust the rod supports so that the centerline of the blank is aligned to the same height as the center of the chuck. If you don't observe any runout, the issue is likely that your jaw covers are worn (unevenly), or the weight of the components on a particular build. If you observe runout with the jaws opened up enough to hold a blank (with no jaw covers) then reach out to Bob in warranty and he'll fix you up.

The Alps Chuck has earned it's place as one of the better chucks in the industry over many years. I've yet to see one have mechanical performance "degrade" over time, but there's a first time for everything I guess. If you do need jaw cover replacements, the part number can be found here: [batsonenterprises.com] These can be purchased from several of the more popular Batson dealers.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 11, 2023 11:54AM

Two thoughts...

1) make sure the rod is centered in the chuck, If for any reason (cleaning)you removed the chuck jaws and did not put them back in the right chuck grooves which can make the rod run off center..

2). You may be running the wrapper too fast and the butt guide may cause a unbalance and severe wobble. When I am turning fast I tape a equivalent spare guide 180 degrees to balance the rod, I find the butt guide makes the biggest difference sometimes I may have to balance the next largest guide.

Have fun

Posted by: John Nesse (---)
Date: December 11, 2023 12:40PM

Thank you all for the advice! I will be working on it this week to try to figure out the issue. I’ll follow up here. This is greatly appreciated!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster