I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gen 4 questions
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 10, 2023 01:42PM

I have a few questions about Gen 4 finish. I have the low build formula.

Bought this a few months ago as an alternative to the Flex Coat I usually use. Sounded like a better mouse trap. I'm now out of Flex Coat and have several rods I'm working on so I need to move forward with the Gen 4.

It didn't come with any literature, but I got the application instructions off another website. Used it yesterday for the first time. Instructions say to monitor the finish closely for the first three hours, checking for bubbles, and removing them. With the Flex Coat I breathed very gently through a straw and that worked most of the time. Should I still use that method or is there a better way since the material is different? I had a couple of bubbles in my first test and the "breathing through the straw" didn't seem to be as effective as with the Flex Coat.

Can I mechanically mix this?

Can it be applied at high speed (~100rpm) like I used to do with the Flex Coat?

Thanks!

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gen 4 questions
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 10, 2023 08:52PM

I’ve found Gen 4 applies like any other 2 part rod finish. The only thing I found was that I needed to mix it longer, like 5 min vs 3 min for some other brands. No biggie since the working time seems to be on par with Threadmaster Lites working time. I’ve used both Gen 4, the lite and regular. Both worked very well for the way I apply finish.

I don’t apply it while the rod is spinning under power. I hand rotate the rod, let it do its thing while hand rotating 180 degrees, then lock it down and spin at like 11 rpm, I think that is what my drying motors do, might be 19.

Never had bubble issues with any finish, use a small diameter hose, like medical IV tubing as a straw and blow out any that may show up initially, but after that, I’ve never had bubbles just appear after a few hours.

I have a friend that applies his Gen 4 under speed, around the 100 rpm mark, he said it was very similar to applying Flex Coat when he used that brand.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 10, 2023 11:54PM

Gen 4 has worked very well for me on a number or rods. I hit each wrap with a short burst from a heat gone to eradicate any bubbles, but I do not get many to begin with. I stir very well and let sit a few minutes then pour into a small aluminum cup that I buy from Mud Hole. I hit the cup with short pop from a heat gone and bubbles adios. I dilute with a few drops of DNA or even of late Isopropyl Alc.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 10, 2023 11:57PM

I get great bubble release in the foil containers with Gen4. I’ve only noticed a couple on the wraps and they readily released. I’ve only lit my burner once with Gen4 and I don’t think it was needed.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 11, 2023 12:22PM

David - If you have Facebook account I'd suggest you join the "Generation 4 Users Group" over there. The person that brought Gen 4 to market (Andy Dear) created that group and actively monitors to provide assistance to users.

I've just used regular build Gen 4 and have had no problems applying while rod is rotating at high speed (100+ RPM). Thus far I have not had to do anything after applying regarding bubble release. After mixing and placing on a paper plate covered in aluminum foil the bubbles seem to release on their own.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 11, 2023 09:19PM

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. You also answered questions that I meant to ask but neglected to.

I always pour out my mixed finish onto aluminum foil; I take a piece off a roll of foil about 5" square and form it over a jar lid. Then I put that on a small dessert size paper plate. It's a little less expensive that way. I've got an alcohol burner but rarely use it, mostly because the Flex Coat lent itself to being breathed on very gently through a soda straw if any bubbles were noticed. I'll just have to better acquaint myself with the different properties that the Gen 4 has. The last test I ran with it I mechanically mixed it for 5 minutes and it seemed to work okay; please let me know if you hear differently.

Kevin, thanks for the comment on high speed application; I started doing that years ago and like it because it is so easy to get clean edges without using tape. I'd love to see the dialogue on the Generation 4 Users Group, but I have an allergy to social media.

I seldom dilute finishes unless it's really needed. Used to add acetone to Flex Coat with a pipet but haven't needed to in quite a while. I was also pleased to see the lack of color change on the pictures of a previous post with the Vivid. Yes, they all say that they are "color preservers" (haven't tried the Vivid yet) but I've only found one that actually doesn't darken the thread at all and that's Al's Silk Rite color preserver from Lure Parts Online(used to be Angler's Workshop). Every other one I've tried will give you a slight color shift to greater or lesser degrees.

Again, many thanks and a Merry Christmas!

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster