I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Generation 4 Vivid Color Preserver first looks
Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: December 09, 2023 11:07PM

Generation 4 Vivid first takes….

For those not aware, Vivid is a new color preserver on the market from Andy Dear - of Generation 4 epoxy. With Chromaseal no longer available we’ve all been looking for a good alternative.

Finally got a wrap done to give Vivid a go. Open chevron wrapped with Maderia. First pic is before application of Vivid. 2nd pic is after 1st coat. (2nd coat is drying now)

I know it’s a newly mixed formulation and has had little to no shelf time to settle, but when I opened the 4oz bottle to (gently) stir, I didn’t detect any solids on the bottom like I would get with the most recent Chromaseal

There is a slight aroma to Vivid compared to Chromaseal, but it’s nothing that’s obnoxious or troublesome. If anything it’s a bit sweet or fragrant.

I applied with the same brushes I use for applying Gen4 - the blue handled “China bristle” brushes I get off Amazon in bulk quantity. I applied first by brushing on, but then by spinning the blank in the rod lathe at speed like I have always applied Chromaseal (and Gen4 epoxy). On the first and second coat no signs of bubbling.

After the first coat there was a bit of a gloss sheen from the product. Very consistent across the blank and even on the open sections of the satin blank. This is a bit of contrast to Chromaseal that would “dull” the thread (before epoxy applied when the dullness would disappear) and often it would not seem to flow well over the bare blank.

After making sure any extra product was removed with the brush I placed in my drying cabinet which was set around 79. Just laying on the rod stands - no turning

The second coat was applied after about 3 hours as that’s when I got back from dinner. Second coat went on without issue. With recent bottles of Chromaseal I’d experienced “fisheye” with the CP on a second coat over some Maderia thread but no issues with Vivid - it laid down nice, smooth and even.

It’s in the dryer again now. I’ll apply the first coat of Gen4 epoxy in the morning - that of course will be the real test. I assume I could go ahead and do so sooner (after 2 hours) per the info on the bottle but did want to clarify that first.

I’ll follow up once epoxy has been applied with final pics.

I’ll also do some side by side tests of Fuji and Madeia thread with Chromaseal, FlexCoat and Vivid and do some guide wrap adhesion tests when I get a chance.

In full disclosure, while Andy did send me a 2oz bottle, I actually purchased a 4oz bottle for testing and use prior to receiving the sample from Andy - so my comments & opinions are my own.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2023 11:22PM by Michael Ward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Generation 4 Vivid Color Preserver first looks
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: December 09, 2023 11:11PM

I’m always amazed how CP is almost undetectable on some colors. I can barely distinguish the difference on the lime green. The baby blue got a bit darker with the CP. Looks good, however.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: December 09, 2023 11:18PM

It’s a bit hard to tell in those pics as lighting and such of the pics may be a little different. I’ll run some side by side test of bare thread and various CPs soon

Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: February 23, 2024 11:00PM

Michael,

I applied for the first time this evening and it does not brush like a water soluble product. I was brushing it on and working into the thread and that looked like a mistake, I guess I’ll see after the first coat dries. I was putting on 50wt silk variegated thread, so I’m interested if it does not dull like the flexcoat.

Mike

Posted by: Michael Ward (12.174.154.---)
Date: February 24, 2024 07:01AM

Apply it as thin as you can. A couple coats. It creates a glossy finish when dried

Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: February 24, 2024 10:57AM

Thanks

I’ll give that a try.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster