I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank cutting question
Posted by: Francis Santangelo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 09, 2023 08:59PM

Doing a pair of rods for very young kids. The grand parents wanted small rods as xmas presents. The IS601L would be too light for how the rods would be used.

I have 2 CRB IS701H blanks that i was planning on cutting the butts down by a foot each.

Is this ridiculous or will it be alright?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank cutting question
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: December 09, 2023 11:08PM

I think I’d look for a shorter blank that fits the intended use. Cutting a foot off is too much, IMO. If you decide to go forward with that plan, just know you’re going to change the action of the rod.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 09, 2023 11:13PM

I think it is ridiculous, alright, and halfway in-between. The better blank companies seem to put maximum cut-offs at about six inches. RodGeeks has long stated this. Doubling this length seems a bit ridiculous. However, this is a rod for kids and slowing it down this much might even be an advantage for young anglers. Thus, it’s probably alright. Finally, there is probably some ultimate strength and action lost with losing this part of the taper. This is the basis for an in-between call.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: December 10, 2023 08:08AM

Cut em’ down, the kids won’t mine the action as they drag them across the concrete, hit trees, and sword fight with them. ;)

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: December 10, 2023 09:26AM

I say cut it i have cut a foot off the bottom of blanks to get what i was looking for and on others i have cut a foot from the top.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 10, 2023 10:10AM

Cut it, the children will have a ball, they are oblivious to things like action, stiffness, resonant frequency, Titanium, carbon fiber and all the other things that give the serious builder, stress, heart burn and nightmares.

All they are interested is in fishing and having fun.

If you dress it up with their name and some other personal touch you will be a rock star.

Have fun .

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2023 10:55AM

It's not ridiculous at all. You're looking for a rod with particular attributes and of a particular length, and there isn't always a blank available in stock form, that will fit the bill.

You have the blanks in hand, so it would make it easy to judge whether or not what you're proposing to do, will result in what your customer is looking for.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 10, 2023 12:52PM

The shooter series of MHX blanks are available, but he is definitely time poor right now. Cutting a foot off would definitely reduce my pleasure as a casting tool overtime, my son still uses the rod I built him 44 years ago, depends on the attitudes of the kids also whether or not they will use this rod long-term..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2023 01:49PM

Just mock up a handle a foot shy of the butt. Cast it, retrieve it, pull on it a bit. You'll then know exactly what you're going to have if you do cut a foot from the butt and build the rods that way.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 11, 2023 07:05AM

Another option to get some guidance in what cutting will do is to do the CCS process first with the whole blank, then mounted to simulate a cut from the butt, then with line attached back from the tip to simulate a cut from the tip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 11, 2023 11:56AM

p.s

Especially, at this time of the year, consider using an ice fishing blank for use for a childrens rod.

You can pick up very inexpensive fiberglass ice fishing rod blanks up to 4 feet or so that will do just fine for a youngsters blank that will be very light and easy to use.

Or:
Pick up a "Snoopy" fishing rod and reel from your favorite ratiler for $15 and take a child fishing.

Life does not have to be complicated or expensive.

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.norvado.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 11, 2023 06:41PM

I would not hesitate. I have cut a foot or more off a blank I liked lots of times to get the shorter rod I wanted. Some lend to it better than others, but I think the one you are working on - and being for kids - will be A-OK.

Date: December 11, 2023 08:17PM

I would not hesitate, either, except to try it out like Tom K suggests. If you are into CCS, do that too. Sort of like measuring twice, cutting once. But if you like what you get there is no reason that cutting 6 inches or twelve inches or 18 inches will cause a problem.

I'm not in favor of starting kids with toy rods or things like ice rod blanks which are really not effective for most techniques. I believe in starting kids with real rods and reels that really work, instructing them in proper use and maintenance. Kids pick up on stuff very quickly and can handle a real rod very soon. I started my grandkids on 6 1/2 foot spinning rods/reels, and they had no troubles.

Posted by: Francis Santangelo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 15, 2023 12:50AM

Ended up cutting the rods down a foot.

Tested the grip and reel seat at 6ft previous and did some static deflexion also and liked it. Think it will be more than fine for kids.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 15, 2023 05:13AM

Glad it worked out for you.

Date: December 15, 2023 07:23AM

Thanks for the report. So often advice is asked and given, but nothing comes back indicating how it all worked out. Thanks!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 16, 2023 02:31PM

Note:
When building rods for the kids some years ago, I went to mudhole and purchased 6 foot ultra light rod blanks in their assorted rod blank catagory for very little money. I think that at the time I was paying about $3 per blank - when I bought a dozen at a time.

I built up the rods with eva grips, a simple reel seat and inexpensive buides. I mounted small inexpensive open face spinning rods, and all of the kids were casting with ease after 30 minutes of instruction in the boat.

They all caught a lot of fish on these rods.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 16, 2023 03:55PM

Here is how it worked out for me.

When my grand daughter was 7, I made a 4.5 ft spinning rod from a 6 ft light action blank. She was proficient in a few weeks. She is now 12 and since then has graduated to a 7 ft medium action for largemouth bass.

You are wasting time, cut the blanks, make the rods and get them into the hands of the kids.

The kids that want to pursue the sport over time will gravitate to higher end equipment.

Have fun

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 16, 2023 05:41PM

Hello Folks.
If you want some reading, here ya go:

Vol/Issue........Article..............Author.........../////////////////.......................Page
19/5 Blanks: Trimming Effects. By Mike Ballard. 14
15/4 Blanks: Trimming Rod Blanks. By Bill Colby. 26
13/5 Blanks: Extend-A-Butt. By Bill Colby. 24
6/3 Blanks: Extending Your Rod . By Tom Kirkman. 22
6/6 Blanks: Characteristics, Properties and Terms, Part 1. By Emory Harry, And Jack Hurt. 28
7/1 Blanks: Characteristics, Properties and Terms, Part 2. By Emory Harry, And Jack Hurt. 16

Have Fun.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster