I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Carbon-Tech Reel Seats
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2023 03:16PM

Perhaps some of the lightest currently made.

Casting Reel Seats weigh in at 9.74grams, and Spinning at 12.04grams.

More information available at the link below.

[manage.kmail-lists.com]

Thanks for looking -
Aleks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Carbon-Tech Reel Seats
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 06, 2023 04:11PM

Hello Aleks.

Can the barrels be cut, and if so, what do you use, and does it leave carbon threads frayed out?

I sometimes shorten the barrels for looks & to lighten it up.

Thanks.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 06, 2023 05:14PM

Cutting these will not make a significant change in the weight of the rod. Cut a half inch off the light end of a 10 gram seat? Will change the looks, proportions, but nothing else. IMHO

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 06, 2023 05:45PM

Those look interesting. Few questions:

1. I presume that the casting version requires an insert and it is not included?
2. Assume will mate up with your typical Fuji AMTak and other nuts?
3. Will you have some of these at 2024 ICRBE to touch/feel?

Thanks.

Date: December 06, 2023 06:11PM

Hello Michael.

I understand that the weight would not be changed that much but I sttill like the looks on some rods when you cut the threads (barrel) to fit the reel and some grip options.
I am more interested in yhe fraying of carbon fiber threads.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Date: December 06, 2023 07:47PM

Robert,

Yes, you can - we in fact cut them for the Edge Epitome Rods. Not to save weight, but primarily not to have threads "poking" out of the locking nut.

Best,
Aleks

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Aleks.
>
> Can the barrels be cut, and if so, what do you
> use, and does it leave carbon threads frayed out?
>
> I sometimes shorten the barrels for looks & to
> lighten it up.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Date: December 06, 2023 07:50PM

Kevin,

No insert required, but if the blank has a very aggressive taper, you may have some unwanted space at the sides.

It will take a Fuji, American Tackle, SeaGuide , ALPS (the one channel type, they also have a two channel type) and PacBay. Size 16 locking nut.

Yep, we will be at ICRBE, and will have them there.

Best,
Aleks

Kevin Fiant Wrote:
> Those look interesting. Few questions:
>
> 1. I presume that the casting version requires an
> insert and it is not included?
> 2. Assume will mate up with your typical Fuji
> AMTak and other nuts?
> 3. Will you have some of these at 2024 ICRBE to
> touch/feel?
>
> Thanks.

Posted by: Josh Freeseman (57.140.32.---)
Date: December 07, 2023 12:03PM

Forgive me for being new to rod building, this may be an obvious question, but for spinning application, arbors (tape or otherwise) will still be required correct?

Date: December 07, 2023 04:43PM

Thanks Aleks.

Tifgt Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2023 05:16PM

How are the casting reel seats installed? I’m having a problem visualizing how these exposed blank casting reel seats work without the need for the reel seats coming with different IDs to fit various blank ODs, or without the need for an insert. Just scratching my head.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 07, 2023 06:10PM

X10 Norm, and Kevin, these guys just throw stuff out there and we sit here trying to figure out how to use it. No useable info. We're still waiting for answers on the new CF guides from an earlier post.

Posted by: Ben Lori (---.103.147.96.tpia.cipherkey.com)
Date: December 07, 2023 06:34PM

Meanwhile... I am still sitting here wonder when if a fly version will ever be release?

I actually just looked at my lightest fly reel seat and trying to compare it without the screws and cap I am at 10.7grams.
I'd be so interested to see NFC to release a "on piece" handle & reel seat.
Or at least a reel seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2023 08:08PM by Ben Lori.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: December 07, 2023 07:10PM

Lynn BeHhler Wrote:
> ... these guys just throw stuff out there and we sit here trying to figure out how to use it.

MudHole sells an American Tackle Bushido insert thats 15mm O.D.
Add that with the hood...add 10 more grams and about $5-$10 more bucks.

Date: December 07, 2023 08:35PM

Norm,

The casting reel seat is best used with a14.5 or a 15mm blank, that has a very slight taper. Like the C6O2 blanks, travel blanks, or the point blanks.

If you are trying to use them with a smaller diameter blank - you would need an insert.

Best,
Aleks

Norman Miller Wrote:
> How are the casting reel seats installed? I’m
> having a problem visualizing how these exposed
> blank casting reel seats work without the need for
> the reel seats coming with different IDs to fit
> various blank ODs, or without the need for an
> insert. Just scratching my head.
> Norm

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2023 10:47PM

Aleks - Ok, I understand now. Thanks! Sorta of what I thought. Their lightness and looks have me wanting to try a couple. For casting reel seats requiring an insert, I only use half an insert, just enough to be exposed in the reel seat cut out. I shim the threaded barrel end of the seat with a piece of polyurethane foam arbor. Get two inserts for the price of one, plus it cuts down on the total weight.

Norm

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 07, 2023 10:50PM

I really like the price point. Preceding ones have been lots more expensive than I would spend for even a special build.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2023 05:16PM

So basically, the cut out in the reel seat isn't to allow contact with your fingers and the blank, it's to allow contact between your fingers and an insert. And if you don't use an insert, you have to figure out a way to seal the gap between the blank and the reel seat.

Even at twice the weight, I'll stick with an Alps MVT casting seat.

And Aleks ..... are the OD of these seats like a tube? Or are there sections inside the seat that are larger than the quoted ODs like there are on the XO Skeleton grips / seats?

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: December 08, 2023 06:02PM

I really like the idea of the carbon seat , but I think they missed the mark by not making this in the style of an ECSM seat

Date: December 08, 2023 08:01PM

@ David -

We made them to solve an issue that we were having with the Edge “Epitome” line - which was shaving as much weight as possible anywhere/everywhere and still finding that there was 1/2oz of dead weight in the reel-seat.

It’s a different strokes for different folks for sure - will we use it on every rod in the Epitome line, even if we have to use an insert on smaller diameter blanks - yep.

Do I think it’s a good option for 15mm-ish sized blanks? Sure.

Can’t tell you how many emails we received if they are available to the builder - hundreds.

I think you are asking about the glue area, and it’s in the barrel and about 1/4 inch at the grip.

Best,
Aleks

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 09, 2023 01:34PM

I just weighed the tube that goes inside the woven graphite insert used on a Forecast GS16SKC skeleton spinning reel seat. The tube is 4" long, with an OD of 15.46 mm and an ID of 13.34 mm. The tube alone weighs 7.5 grams. So if you need to use an insert, your 9.74 gram reel seat is now a 17.24 gram reel seat. Add the weight of any arbors that may be needed inside the tube and the weight goes up. So you're not really saving all that much weight, are you?

And I wasn't really worried about the glue area on these type of seats. You can pass pretty much any bass blank completely through the seat, so this type of seat isn't subject to the same kind of stresses on the glue area that you see on the XO skeleton grips.

I have another MB 733 X ray blank that just shipped yesterday. Hopefully it has dimensions that are close to those that are listed for it. Even if it doesn't, I'll be starting the build with the XO skeleton spinning grip on one of the 4 X ray blanks I have, and will be posting photos along with a description of what I end up doing, to make it work to my satisfaction.

It won't be a video, but it will be something ........

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster