I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mag taper, medium/light blank search
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.cust.empireaccess.com)
Date: December 06, 2023 06:26AM

Interested in building a 7' (or near) mag taper medium/light power, fast-action spinning rod for lake trout jigging. Having trouble finding a blank with those specs. Thank you for the help, appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mag taper, medium/light blank search
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 06, 2023 07:23AM

All subjective terms except length, hard to say what would match them since most blank makers don't define these terms the same.

Doesn't "mag taper" mean most likely more power than "med light" and also imply "X-fast" action? From my definition of ML power I would think you would want more for jigging lake trout. Sure would be nice if you had CCS numbers your were trying to match.

If you had a specific blank that you were trying to match maybe some of our builders would know another close match.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (72.18.59.---)
Date: December 06, 2023 11:18AM

Thanks Michael - I'm looking for a blank similar to a "JTX-MAG medium light", (https://jtodp.com/product/jtx-mag-med-lt/)

I've been using MB843 and MB844 type blanks for 1/2 - 1oz jigs, was curious about using a medium-light action in combination with a stronger butt though.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: December 06, 2023 02:03PM

I’m not sure what mag taper really means, to be perfectly honest. However, MHX has a series called “Mag Taper”. Perhaps check with them to see if they have something to meet your needs.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.243.57.---)
Date: December 06, 2023 03:34PM

Mike,
CTS has a model called "AIR" that has a "Turbo Taper" AKA MAG.

They run from 6.5 to 8..0 feet.

It would be the equivalant of a fast action fly rod.

Attaching link - [ctsfishing.com]

If interested - contact me for special RB.Org pricing

Herb
CTS Rep

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2023 03:36PM

"Mag Tapers" were originally meant to indicate very steep tapers - large butts and small tips. Very fast actions with powerful butt and light tip powers. The term may be more marketing than anything else these days. I suspect it depends on the manufacturer.

Date: December 06, 2023 05:16PM

If you have that rod you are trying to match, measure it for CCS and tell us what you get.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 06, 2023 05:33PM

Took a look at the JTX Mag Medium Light you mentioned above on website. Mentions 6-10# line weight. If you happen to have that rod in hand and can do some CCS measurements than this group could definitely give you some suggestions on options that would likely fish similarly.

Anyhow, based upon what info you've provided I would take a look at the PointBlank 7' MLF (PB701MLF). If you are just vertically dropping your Laker Jigs I wouldn't be scared away by the 1/8 to 3/8 lure rating. Or if you wanted to step up a bit in power look at the 7' MF (PB701MF). I have personally built and fished the Pointblank 6'-9" MLXF and the 7'-3" MLF and IMO they have a lot of backbone and lifting power. I used them this summer on the Great Lakes to catch smallmouth upto 6#. I was making long cast in 10-30 ft of water and using drop shot, tubes and other mostly bottom baits. I don't know what size class lakers are the norm where you fish but I'd think those PBs would handle fish in the 15-20# range without major issue. We were going to try a bit of Laker jigging this past summer on Traverse Bay and those would've been the rods we used (didn't get to try it out with some bad weather days and running out of time). A lot of guys use them on Redfish inshore as well. Very responsive blanks.

If you went with the PB 7' MLF (or MF) you also have a very versatile rod for lots of other applications.

Here is a link to the Pointblank Spec Sheet: [pointblankrods.com]

You can get them at Voodoo Rods (and many other suppliers) [voodoorods.com]

I'm sure there are many other offerings from Rainshadow, NFC, and many others. NFC even uses the power category of Mag Medium Light but that is very dependent on what category of blank you are looking at on NFC's site.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 06, 2023 05:48PM

Since Vivian Todd works for Mudhole and before was the blank designer for Lamiglas, I'm not surprised by them using the term Mag Taper, they used it quite a bit in Lamiglas descriptions. The 68 MXF blanks you see from our sponsors and others are going to be close in the tip, but probably not have the power of your 843 in the butt. I used a classic G Loomis MBR 843 C, MH for jigging lakers in Lake Tahoe back in the late 80's, early 90's and it worked very well. I bet the classic NFC would work just as well, they may have just what you need in their new designs, none of us has used all on them. Wouldn't hurt to call. If I was doing it now, I might look at the SJ 803 or 804, they use the SJ 804 cut to 7 ft. 6 in. in their hover chinook salmon rods.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 06, 2023 07:04PM

Date: December 06, 2023 07:30PM

Gentlemen, thank you all very much, very appreciated! I do not have a finished rod to make a comparison with, I recently saw a video demo of one of the JTX rods and thought it might be worth a try building if possible. Kevin, thank you for the Point Blank recommendation, I will check those out. Spencer, thank you - one of my current favorite laker jigging rods is built on a Lamiglas blank, I'll look at NFC also.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: December 06, 2023 07:53PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Mag Tapers" were originally meant to indicate
> very steep tapers - large butts and small tips.
> Very fast actions with powerful butt and light tip
> powers. The term may be more marketing than
> anything else these days. I suspect it depends on
> the manufacturer.
>
> ............

Thank you for the explanation.

Date: December 07, 2023 06:45AM

Mike, what is the weight of the jigs you will be using?

Posted by: Mike Canavan (72.18.59.---)
Date: December 07, 2023 09:43AM

Mike, I'm using mostly 1/2 - 3/4oz jigheads with paddletail plastics mostly, on occasion will go to 1oz. heads.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: December 07, 2023 12:53PM

Hi Mike,
You might check out models SB842 or SB843 in Rainshadow's RX6 lineup. These feature what I'd consider near mag tapers with fast actions, and will definitely punch above their weight when necessary for large lakers. And, the price is right. You can search dealers for them here: [www.google.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: December 07, 2023 04:40PM

I don't think most "ML" power blanks will handle the jigs you plan. Geoff has a good recommendation, IMO.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 08, 2023 12:41AM

Mike, If you go with Geoff's suggestion, Schneider's to the left has those blanks on sale in their "Hot Specials" section, can take a bit of the sting out of your search for the "One".

Date: December 08, 2023 08:25AM

Thanks fellas, I will take a look at the rx6's, appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2023 08:26AM by Mike Canavan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster