I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slow pitch jigging blank recommendations
Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: November 30, 2023 11:43AM

I'm looking for recommendations for an SPJ rod for targeting 100lb class bluefin out of San Diego on a head boat.

My buddy is going on an SPJ specific multi-day bluefin tuna trip out of San Diego in May and needs a heavier SPJ rod.

He is well versed in SPJ but has never needed a setup quite this robust. I've never built an SPJ rod but would love to give it a shot for him.

I know the usual blank manufacturers offer SPJ blanks but I'm having trouble finding something beefy enough and long enough for this task. It would need to be 7'6" ballpark and stout enough to handle those triple digit bluefin.

Also, any tips for a bass rod builder stepping up to target big pelagics?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slow pitch jigging blank recommendations
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (2.59.157.---)
Date: November 30, 2023 09:07PM

Patrick,
Look at the CTS Slow Motion blanks.

[ctsfishing.com]

Contact me for special RB.Org pricing if interested
Herb
CTS

Date: December 01, 2023 09:22AM

Thanks, Herb. I'd looked at your blanks previously but didn't see anything long enough for what I need. Do you have longer blank options?

Also, your max jig weight is under what I'm looking for on the link you provided. Are there longer and heavier blanks available?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2023 09:23AM by Patrick Coco.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 01, 2023 11:36AM

Patrick,

I strongly suggest looking into a spiral wrap if you are building a casting rig. I like the Simple Spiral.

Also, I'm not too familiar with slow pitch saltwater jigging for triple-digit fish....is a 7'6" rod the way to go?

Posted by: Geoff Staples (208.52.76.---)
Date: December 01, 2023 11:58AM

Hi Patrick,
Rainshadow has added 7'6" slow pitch models to our lineup for 2024 (they're in stock and shipping now.) There's also new XH models available in 6'6", 7'0", and 7'6" lengths. A full list of models and specs can be found here: [batsonenterprises.com]
If you'd like to discuss your particular build with our sales staff, or get a build suggestion (build print), you can reach out to us at 360-681-2381. If you don't feel like venturing into building a slow pitch, you can also check out the rod builder profiles below. All of these builders all can make you an awesome slow pitch setup. Hope this helps.

[batsonenterprises.com]

[batsonenterprises.com]

[batsonenterprises.com]

[batsonenterprises.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: December 01, 2023 11:58AM

It will definitely be spiral wrapped.

And typically spj rods are shorter, But when fishing on big head boats, a longer rod is needed for a couple of reasons.

Date: December 01, 2023 02:45PM

Thanks, Geoff! That 7'6" XH might be just what the doctor ordered.

I order almost all of my components from the lovely folks over at Voodoorods.com so I'll shoot them an email when I'm ready to get that build on.

Posted by: Ken Delbridge (192.55.54.---)
Date: December 01, 2023 08:37PM

Patrick are you looking for a slow pitch blank or a heavy jig blank? They are usually not the same.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (2.59.157.---)
Date: December 01, 2023 10:11PM

Patrick Coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, Herb. I'd looked at your blanks previously
> but didn't see anything long enough for what I
> need. Do you have longer blank options?
>
> Also, your max jig weight is under what I'm
> looking for on the link you provided. Are there
> longer and heavier blanks available?

Patrick,
Looks as though you're all set.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster