I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS Rod
Posted by: Bob Canupp (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 25, 2023 12:38PM

Guy brought me a CTS surf rod that had a failure on the fore grip and rear grip. The material used is some sort of rubber type sleeve that is no longer holding firm to the blank. The rear grip is 24 inches and customer wants it replaced, preferably with carbon fiber. any ideas on getting a 24 inch carbon fiber rear grip and what the material is that was used by CTS. I'm afraid he may have to send it back to CTS. Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS Rod
Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: November 25, 2023 01:42PM

Doubt it was build by CTS but rather a custom on their blanks and the grip is heat shrink of some form / likely flock or scale pattern heat shrink. Very common on surf rods - at least down this was in NC and Va

Assuming he does not want a carbion fiber grip the full length between butt and reel seat? If you’re not removing the reel seat you’d need to over ream to install from the butt and arbor - then use a thread / epoxy ramp or something to close off the gap. There are several options for preformed carbon fiber grips from Batson (Alps/Forecast), North Fork composites and others.

If he wants carbon the full length then I think you’ll be looking at making your own from carbon fiber sleeve, foam core and epoxy. Or - could consider a carbon fiber tube that would have an ID larger than the rod OD and arbor it then address any needed transitions. You can get the tubing in longer lengths

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2023 01:44PM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: Bob Canupp (---)
Date: November 25, 2023 02:34PM

Thanks for the info. Yeah, he wants carbon fiber the entire length but I'm not up for making the one for him. I do very small stuff and not trying to make grips. Is there likely anywhere I could purchase one? Guess I'll make some calls. Indeed in NC. I do believe it is heat shrink and it just completely let go of the blank. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 25, 2023 04:26PM

Best bet for your need in carbon fiber is using tube material that will after a little resizing it slip right over the existing grip, install a new butt cap and you're done. It comes in two diameters .920" or .980" ID. Lengths to 60 inches are available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2023 01:18AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: November 25, 2023 04:30PM

I don’t think I’ve seen 12” carbon fiber but check NFC’s website. The carbon tubes are an option but won’t have the “texture” of the “raw” carbon fiber…. Batson/Forecast has one you can get from their distributors and NFC may have something similar

[batsonenterprises.com]

Sometimes if the heat shrink does not shrink enough it can let go like that over time - I’ve started to put a very thin layer of structural epoxy on the blank before shrinking. The next guy may curse me tho :)

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: November 25, 2023 08:59PM

You could try to piece together two 12” CF grips or a 12” and 14” grip from NFC. The 27mm ODs of the two grips will match up perfectly, just need to remove the tenons for alignment. If necessary the seam could be over wrapped and epoxied, or just epoxied. Might work.
Norm

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2023 11:33AM

I would try and talk him into cutting off the shrink tubing and replacing it with cork tape or the 3M Safety Walk tape like GLoomis did on their rods.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-198-50-155.net)
Date: November 26, 2023 01:19PM

If the original grip was just sleeved over the rod blank butt then you could do a carbon skin in the same way but I think that is a lot of work just to get the look. I would use one of many heat shrink tubing types.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster