I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone built on the NFC Flip 766-1 (SM)?
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: November 24, 2023 01:53PM

Looking to build a new flipping rod (bass). Just curious if anyone has built this blank and how do they like it for flipping. Another option is the Flip 764-1 (HM). It's a lighter blank, but it's a heavy power blank. I don't know that I need that as I don't punch or frog around heavy cover. I mostly pitch and flip laydowns and docks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2023 02:08PM by Daryl Ferguson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone built on the NFC Flip 766-1 (SM)?
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 24, 2023 05:24PM

Daryl, I haven't built on that blank, but I personally would go with the IM version of that blank. I have a rod built on an MB 666 IM blank, and one built on a MB 668 SM blank. The SM blank is a lot heavier than the IM. Heavier in the sense that if I had known the 668 SM blank was going to be so heavy, I wouldn't have gotten it. You're talking a rod that is a foot longer so the weight difference will be even greater. I can't imagine what the tip weight for the Flip 766 SM blank would be compared to the IM or HM version of that blank. I gotta think the SM version is definitely heavier than you want for flipping and pitching.

Go for the lighter blank that's going to have the lighter tip weight.

As far as the NFC HM blanks go, I have read on another rod building related web site, that people have had trouble with them breaking. So that may be something to consider.

Also .... and this is just my personal thinking. Flipping and pitching are short line techniques. Because the line out is so short, I don't believe a high modulus blank over a mid modulus blank is as important as it is when you're making long casts. If you were making long casts, then yeah, I would go with the HM. But on a short line, the IM blanks are more than sensitive enough to feel even very subtle bites.

Date: November 24, 2023 06:01PM

Thanks David, I’ll check out the IM.

Posted by: Ken Delbridge (192.55.54.---)
Date: November 25, 2023 05:09PM

I have built & fished on the FLIP764 and 766 HM's, I would consider the 764 a finesse flipping stick. It has a pretty moderate action, very sensitive. If you are fishing sparse cover where you don't have to horse on the fish, and you need to use smaller presentations the 764 is great. The 766 is a little beefier, still a fairly moderate blank in my opinion, but both are incredibly light. The moderate action can be appreciated if you are fishing close to the boat and you are using braided line.

This may sound a little crazy, but if you look at the deflection images the SW764 IM LMX would be what I would consider a more traditional flip stick but it comes in around 3oz (around an ounce more than the FLIP blanks). Might dance with that blank next year for extra heavy cover work needing a 1/2-2oz pegged weight in really thick tules/grass/wood and you have to physically pull the fish out.

If you want a rod that will handle punching/heavy weights and you really want to go with the Flip series, I would go with the 769 IM... or test that SW764.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: November 26, 2023 11:46AM

The SW764 makes a pretty dang good ARIG rod too!

Date: November 26, 2023 02:24PM

I worry the SW 764 might a bit too heavy, literally & in power. As I stated, I never punch heavy cover. I’m pitching/flipping lay downs and around docks, standing timber and the like.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: November 26, 2023 07:46PM

If weight is a large concern , then your pick should be the IM 769. I have built the HM766 and it came out at 3.6 ounces, a real pleasure to fish with but is lacking in overall power for my preference.

Date: November 26, 2023 09:02PM

Weight is always one of my top priorities. I’m not 20 anymore. Lol
I’m giving the IM 769 a hard look.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2023 04:11PM

Weight at the tip is what you need to concentrate on with flipping and pitching rods, IMO that type of rod is where a balanced rod and reel combination is a must.

Be open to the possibility of adding some weight to the butt to counter act tip weight. Build it as you would but don't epoxy the butt cap on, then tape some weight to the butt and see how it feels. The rods going to weigh more, but I guarantee it will fish lighter than its' weight would lead you to believe. Give it a try, and hopefully you take this the right way ..... I mean really give it a try. Practice a half hour or so with the weight taped on. Practice a half hour or so without the weight. Tip heavy rods get heavy really fast.

Just something to keep in mind....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster