I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod builder kit - RodTeck
Posted by: Neil Toland (---)
Date: November 22, 2023 10:34AM

I’ve searched here and didn’t see any mention of this product and procedure. Wondering about giving it a shot but would like to hear some experiences with it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod builder kit - RodTeck
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: November 22, 2023 01:28PM

I read over the kit contents and the one thing that stood out was their use of light curing UV resin for the guide wraps. This stuff made inroads into rod building a few years ago but only barely. Too many drawbacks. Do a search on this forum for "UV curing finish" and you can find a lot of users results with that type finish.

Date: November 22, 2023 05:40PM

Will do, thanks

Date: November 24, 2023 06:19AM

I didn't find any results for "UV curing finish" at all. Pretty obvious few use it I guess.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 24, 2023 12:00PM

Hello Neil.

Here is the only article I remember in RodMaker about UV curing finishes, there is no author associated with it just the writing hand(meaning I believe) that Tom or a staff writer wrote it.

Volume/Issue...Article...................................................................................Page.
5/1 Epoxy: UV Wrap Finish System Product Test of Quick Coat Brand. 28

From what I remember the major drawback with the UV curing stuff is that when it cures it keeps curing, over time until it gets brittle.and cracks or flakes off, now they may have found a way to fix that, but I would check on that before I ever used it on one of my rods.

In this article they used a kinda largish light box to cure the finish.

Hope this helped.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: November 24, 2023 01:35PM

I would steer clear of UV cured resins. They will become brittle and flake off at some point. If I were you, I would get the beginner kit from Mudhole. I'm sure Flex Coat probably has a comparable kit that would also be a good choice.

Date: November 24, 2023 05:59PM

This is the video that has me curious:

[www.youtube.com]

I may try contacting this fellow. Wouldn't cost that much to give it a shot I guess but learning curves are pretty steep for me. And too, would hate to foul up a blank in the process. Anyway, was just looking for some firsthand experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2023 06:05PM by Neil Toland.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 25, 2023 11:04AM

My idea of what looks really awesome and what . the guy in the videos idea of what looks really awesome, are worlds apart.

I understand that wrapping guides can be challenging and not necessarily all that fun, but I personally wouldn't go the tape route. You're wrapping something that is much wider than a single thread, around the tip of a guide foot and then around the foot and the blank. Your chances of getting it as smooth as wrapping a guide the normal way, are IMO, pretty slim to none.

Certainly nothing wrong with trying something new, but I would be trying it on a scarp piece of blank or something of that sort, and make sure I had the process down pat, before I'd try it on an actual rod I was building. And I sure as heck would see how difficult it is to remove a guide put on in that manner.

Not from a seeing how strong the attachment point is point of view, but from a what happens if I mess up and need to do it over point of view.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---)
Date: November 25, 2023 11:59AM

I've been fishing several rods all yar with the carbon tape wrapped guides and UV finish and they are just fine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2023 03:51PM by Billy Vivona.

Date: November 26, 2023 04:41PM

Thank you for that first hand information Mr Vivona. Firsthand information was what I was looking for. Appreciate your response.

I’ve been wrapping guides with thread for about 3 decades but things change. Stumbled upon this video and was curious. Again I appreciate your real world perspective.

Date: November 26, 2023 08:20PM

Neil I have a couple of videos of a woman wrapping a guide and finishing it on my Instagram. I'm not going to claim it's going to last longer than thread and epoxy, I don't know for sure. But I do know for a wuick turnaround on repairs, or i my case - I shipped 3 blanks to Florida and was able to build myself 3 fishign rods and take them fishing within a couple of hours time - with no wrapper, no turners. Nothing except the handles I brought with me guides, and the carbon tape and UV finish. I freehand wrapped the guides on a kitchen table.
WAY better option than I build 3 rods and ship them and the rods brek in shipping like one of the packages I Sent down tehre with just blanks.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: November 26, 2023 09:16PM

I been useing UV resin for about three years now and I think it has its place on the work bench.
I primarily use it to just tack something down...like fiberglass tape, it helps stop it from wanting to unwind.
I have also use it on thread and it does a decent job as a finish...also a finish on lures.
At the end of the day...I would still go with epoxy for a glue and a finish.
UV resin undoubtedly is warp speeds faster when use with a UV torch.

Date: November 27, 2023 02:42PM

Well I just jumped through the hoops of Instagram installation and saw one of the videos you referred to Billy. That looks pretty slick

Date: November 27, 2023 03:41PM

I'm not a big fan of IG for rodbuilding, but it's an effective tool to reach people. IMO, I feel it's worth it to have a kit handy. The UV Curing resin has a lot of uses other than just as a guide wrap finish. When I was at the ROd Forge facility a couple of weeks ago they timed me and it took 7 minutes to coat and cure 9 guides. With practice and on my set up at home I'm sure I could have a rod coated and out on the water in 5 minutes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster