I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aero Seats on Spinning Rods - Up Locking or Down Locking?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.norvado.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 22, 2023 08:27AM

I like the American Tackle Aero seats. Do you guys build them Up Locking or Down Locking mostly?

It seems if you hold with the reel stem between middle finger and ring finger, down locking is spot on.

But I often hold the reel stem between my ring finger and pinky - and then up-locking fills your hand really nice.

I pause on using them some, as I'm not sure they allow you to float between holds as much - or do you guys find you can switch your hold and it's OK?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aero Seats on Spinning Rods - Up Locking or Down Locking?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2023 08:43AM

Early on I mounted most of my spinning seats uplocking. Over some time I reversed course and now almost always mount them downlinking. Due to the shape of the seats you've mentioned, I'd think you'd want to mount it whichever way provides the most comfort and control.

Posted by: Ed Rose (---)
Date: November 22, 2023 11:02AM

I like the locking ring/nut at the top of the grip (downlocking).
I'm right handed and found that over the course of the fishing day my right little finger would loosen the lock nut on up locking seats, whether fly rod or spinning.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 22, 2023 12:54PM

I like the Fuji IPS/VSS and Wiebe/Super Sticker reel seats both ways. leaning more to uplocking on bass, trout, etc. rods, but just the opposite on salmon/steelhead rods. I find the less smooth transition from grip to the reel seat uncomfortable uplocking on the Aero. G Loomis uses the Wiebe/Super Sticker reel seat design to this day uplocking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2023 01:47PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 22, 2023 01:19PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I vote down locking.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2023 01:21PM

There was recently another thread on the Aero real seat. Some of the comments got into the subject of uplocking vs downlocking. See this link: [www.rodbuilding.org]

From your original post sounds like you may be wanting to switch/experiment with how you will hold your rod. If that is the case, I wouldn't think an Aero seat with the defined palm swell area built into seat would be the ideal real seat. I would look for something that has a more constant OD when oriented either way such as your typical DPS style sized to fit your hand.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: November 22, 2023 01:42PM

I'm so confused!!! I mount mine with the locking nut towards the tip top. Very comfortable for me.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 22, 2023 06:24PM

I like "up-lock" on all spin seats.
But, an alternative is to use a larger, sz 17 or 18 conventional seat.
That may give you the best of both worlds.
Happy Thanksgiving,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: November 23, 2023 04:47PM

If it were a pipe style seat with the same shape and diameter all the way end to end I would say do whatever you want. I like downlocking. But since these seats have a shape that is not the same end to end you are really going to have to mock up the rod and go out and do some test casting and retrieving. You will know in about fifteen minutes which you like best. A quarter to half hour now can save years of fishing with a rod that later decided should have been mounted in the other direction.

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2023 07:11AM

Personally, the 2 rods I have built with the Aero seats were downloading with no foregrips.

Posted by: Mark Stevens (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: November 26, 2023 02:37PM

on the aero seat specifically I prefer the nut at the top so the palm swell hits my hand right BUT I loathe ever feeling threads or the roughness of the nut so I only use those with ULH hoods - it really feels great in the hand. same for the apex.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: November 26, 2023 02:46PM

I like down locking, just more comfortable to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster