I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New guide concept
Posted by: Lawrence west (---)
Date: November 12, 2023 09:55AM

Can someone please help me understand the new guide concept? I usually build lighter rods with the kr concept using klh guides. I understand that method to an extent. I am a visual learner so I need to see it work on a rod.

I’m building an 8ft saltwater rod for redfish and drum with a 5k certate and 30lb braid

My ask is for someone to tell me what guides I need to buy and spacing.

I’m sure this has been asked multiple times and any and all help is appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New guide concept
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 12, 2023 10:16AM

Here are the resources needed to successfully do this. It’s quite easy to get it right by following these instructions and using these tools. Without all the information that is needed by the software, a remote attempt on this forum would be inaccurate. Without having the rod in hand, the “straight edge test” also isn’t possible. If you do it yourself, the results will be better and you will have mastered an important part of the process.

[anglersresource.net]

[anglersresource.net]

I’d probably go with 5.0 running guides and use a couple of more than the software calls for. I think it will put you in a size 20 first (stripper) guide, but I don’t use 5000 sized reels to know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2023 10:24AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: November 12, 2023 11:07AM

Here is an article from the library by Tom Kirkman which does a good job describing the New Guide Concept (NGC). The KR concept is an off shoot of the NGC. Because I use braid, I rarely use the NGC anymore, I prefer the KR concept with its high frame small ring reduction guides designed for rapidly choking line coils.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: November 23, 2023 04:50PM

Braid will work with nearly any good guide system. Mono not so much. Yes the lighter pound tests are more supple but I had some 10lb mono on a rod last week that was awful no matter what system I tried to use. It was a super abrasion resistant line and I guess it is just too stiff to work well though it is rated as 10lb test.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 23, 2023 06:58PM

Here's an old one for you. [www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster