I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ATC Aero Reel Seat Questions
Posted by: Bob Ferreira (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 11, 2023 10:24AM

Hello rod builders, I am planning to use the ATC Aero Comfort Reel Seat on my next build. I am trying to figure out what are my options to finsh rod in front of the reel seat. Btw plannning to use the ART G2 Carbon grip in the rear.

My question is can I use the ATC G2 Uni-Lock fore grips to finish off the fore grip area?

If not, It is not clear to me that ATC makes a specific G2 Carbon Fore Grip and do not want to use cork or eva. Any thoughts/solutions.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ATC Aero Reel Seat Questions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 10:54AM

Every Aero reel seat I have ever used will take the nut off every brand of reel seat I have tried and vice versa, why reinvent the wheel when you build something when there are so many examples of good results out there? No one is reinventing the nut and bolt, I know I would want something I was familiar with and could mix and match if I was ordering for a large rod company.

Date: November 11, 2023 11:22AM

Hi Spencer, thanks for the reply! Forgive me my ignorance here. Let me see if i understand you. I think you are saying the reel seat threads and nuts are pretty standard. So I should be able to take any hidden thread nut and use that instead of the exposed thread nut that comes with the aero (i.e Fuji KDPS) and then glue any fore grip sleeve over the KDPS hidden thread. In this case, the nut and the for grip become one glued/bonded assembly that locks in the reel.

am I on the right track or am i still completely clueless?

Thansl
Bob

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2023 11:54AM

AmTac has carbon fiber foregrip sleeves that fit the G2 uni lock hoods.
[mudhole.com]
Norm

Date: November 11, 2023 11:58AM

Ok guys, I think I figured this out. The Aero Comfort does not have a uni-lock option. But The Aero CCT does. So by switching to the Aero CCT Uni-Lock version, then I can directly use the ATC G2 uni Lock Hood to finish the fore-grip. It was the fact that aero comfort not being available in Uni-Lock was causing my mass confusion.

Thank you all so much for helping me out!

Bob

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 11, 2023 12:26PM

You can build the Aero up-locking, too, and have the large "ramp" at the front and not have your hands on threads or other devices.

I strongly prefer the Fuji DPPS size 17 uplocking with a ramp off the front that matches the diameter of the seat hood. Nice smooth transition to the blank.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: November 11, 2023 12:32PM

I dislike the up-locking position for a reel seat very much. One of the reasons I started building my own rods. Just a matter of personal preference.
Norm

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 05:35PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can build the Aero up-locking, too,

Michael...that Aero has a palm swell that makes it usually a down locking reel seat.

Date: November 11, 2023 05:57PM

That is my understanding Michael, that the aeros with pam swell cqn only be used in down locking.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 06:21PM

I found that the CRB palm swell reel seat is considerably lighter than the AT seat. I leave just enough threads on the seat to fit the reel and use rubber winding checks in the end. The nut can go over the end of the seat if the winding checks just fits the inside of the reel seat.

Date: November 11, 2023 06:55PM

Hi Alex, this gets to the heart of my original question of what is the best way to professionally finish one of these seats if you have a standard reel seat w/o the uni-lock nut with tenon for the fore-grip sleeve. Although I understood so little at the time I made the post I am not even sure if what I was asking made sense.

So if I want to stay with the AERO comfort (no uni-lock version) it seems like this would be my best option. the catch is I guess is if you do not want your finger hitting threads you need to be willing to trim the reel seat, and make sure you don’t butt anything up against it such that the nut cannot be backed off. When needed.

Do I understand your suggestion correctly?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.75.---)
Date: November 11, 2023 08:47PM

I guess I'll have to take my uplocking aero apart and turn it around. Sad. It was working very well. ( sarcasm alert!) A little different, but it can be done and it works well.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 09:54PM

Yes, that's what I do. I use the rubber winding check.

Date: November 11, 2023 10:23PM

Hi michael, sarcasm appreciated.i just thought the grip would not fit the hand properly when reversed. I will try it when I get my aero comfort to see which way I like better. Is their an advantage to uplocking ?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.75.---)
Date: November 12, 2023 06:46AM

fingers are not on the threads, but it does change the reel position. It's about preference and not an absolute " won't work".

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: November 12, 2023 08:38AM

My apologies Micheal....I thought maybe you were confused.
But if you were going to turn an Aero around and fish it up locking...Why would you use THAT reel seat.
Seems like it causes more problems than it solves.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 12, 2023 08:47AM

I would use that seat up locking since I wanted to try it that way. It causes no problems.

It is not my favorite seat-I've only built one. But my issue with it is not its functionality- it's that in my opinion it's so ugly. I much prefer the Fuji DPSSD as mentioned earlier. I get the right size with a smooth transition forward, and a classy look. As previously stated, it's about preferences, not function.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 12, 2023 09:30AM

I;m with Norman on this. Unless it has a hidden hood, I find up locking reel seats to be extremely uncomfortable. Why anyone would want the heel of their hand resting on the hood and locking nut is beyond me. Throw in the possibility of contact with the threads on the thread barrel, and it's a definite no go.

But as always ....personal preference wins the day. We aren't the ones using the rod, they are.

Date: November 12, 2023 10:28AM

The Aero reel seat has a large ID at the fixed hood end of the seat into which the grip fits. Hard to image this seat would look good or feel comfortable in the up locking position with no fore-grip. The palm swell becomes a finger swell. Just my opinion.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 12, 2023 11:15AM

Personally, I preferred the Wiebe/Super Sticker spinning seat if I wanted a swell to the rear grip, the proprietary Edge Black Widow seat that is US made also looks like a nice design.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster