I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Inshore Rod Build
Posted by: Bob Ferreira (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2023 01:43PM

Hello, I am newbie to rod building and to the forum, so go easy on me :) I am in process specifying components for a medium powered open water inshore rod (meaning do not plan to use in structure). It will be used to target you typical florid inshore species, trout, Spanish mac, red fish, etc. I fish almost exclusively with artificial lures including soft plastics, top waters, bucktails, spoons, etc. My goal is to build a light, sensitive, well balanced, and comfortable everyday inshore rod.

Here is components I am leaning towards. Would love your feedback on anything and everything, Is this a great rod blank for my application, etc. Have I chosen anything that does not make sense for my application or may be incompatible with other components. Trying to keep component cost to ~$175 excluding the reel.

Component Brand Model Description
Reel Daiwa Fuego LT 2500-XH
Rod Blank ATC SJ72/8-15 Bushido Spin Jig Rod Blank. 7.2, Medium, Fast
Reel Seat ATC AERO-16-CF AERO Comfort Finish Reel Seat, Size 16, Black/Stainless
Rod Guides Fuji BCKLAG209H Fuji KL-H High Frame Spinning Guide Kit, Alconite, 209, BC Grey
Rod Tip Fuji BCLGAT-5.5-5 Fuji Micro Spinning Top LG, Alconite, Size 5.5, BC Grey
Rear Grip ATC G2H9RGS-M3K G2 Carbon 9" Shaped Full Length Rear Grip for AERO-16, Matte 3K Finish
Butt Cap ATC G2HBC-MB G2 Carbon Handle Butt Cap Assembly, Matte Black

anyway any insights would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty set on the reel seat because I know I love it.

Thanks
Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2023 02:40PM by Bob Ferreira.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Inshore Rod Build
Date: November 10, 2023 01:46PM

sorry it removed all my formatting for the table.. make it a harder to READ :(

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2023 07:43PM

Go with a lighter blank like a NFC X-Ray IS 702-1 (LMX), P702-1 (HM LMX) or a Phenix K2 712L-C and use 20# braid. Guides should be Titanium framed tall H20mm, H10mm, M5.5mm, B4mm X 3, 4mm X 3 and a 4.5mm Tip Top. This is what I have done for these saltwater species. With Ti you won't have to worry about corrosion and Fuji and Seaguide both have frames that will work.

Date: November 10, 2023 08:17PM

Lance, Thanks for your inputs - much appreciated. will definitely check put these alternatives. A quick follow up question for you. When going with the 20# braid does it make sense to move to a 3000 size reel?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 11, 2023 06:19AM

Yes on the 3000 reel. The Daiwa 3000's are not that big. I use both the Tatula and Fuego in 3000 size, very light, both work very well. I don't know if there is a difference in their drags, but you want the best drag you can get.

Regardless of what guide frame material you get, the rod and reel should be rinsed with fresh water immediately after every use in salt water. If you have to use stainless for cost limit, Fuji CC is probably as good as you can get and will work if you rinse as mentioned..

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 09:56AM

The 3000 is the Daiwa size I would use. The Ballistic MQ is becoming my favorite spinning real ever. The numerical sizes aren’t standardized across the industry and they relate more to line capacity. Some makes and models vary between when they jump their numerical sizes to different base frame sizes. This can affect weight, drag strength, and spool diameters quite a bit. Shimano often puts their 2500’s and 3000’s on the same frames while Daiwa usually shifts their 3000 up to their medium base size.

The days are gone with scaled reel frames for every numerical size. It’s become standard that two to four size classes of spinning reels are built on the same basic reel frame. They vary only by spool depth or sometimes by rotor and spool diameter. If you look at a reel size charts you will often see multiple sizes with the same drag specification and identical or slightly varying overall weights. They are on the same real body and they share gears, shafts, drags and other major components. Some companies like to leave the popular 3000 size on their smaller frame because they know people shop specification charts for low weight. If you compare the Shimano Stradic FL charts and the Daiwa Ballistic MQ charts, you will see the Stradic 3000 is simply a 2500 that holds a bit more line. That’s great if you need nothing more than extra line capacity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2023 10:40AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Date: November 11, 2023 10:32AM

Thanks Kendall for the input. the 2500/3000 is one of the bigger debates I have had in my head. In the end I think the 3000 will offer more flexibility in terms of what line I load on it

The only real advantage to the 2500 XH is the higher gearing ratio which allows a little more line per turn.

Ballistic is definitely interesting option, initially ruled it out on budget considerations.

Thanks for taking time to share your insights!!

Bob

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 10:53AM

I find that this class of Daiwa and Shimano to be able to go at least 15 years with regular use and proper maintenance (I use revolving spool reels a lot, though). The more precisely made and aligned hardened brass gearing lasts a lot more use cycles. Line management gets better with this class, too. The Procyon looks to be the Ballistic minus the magnetic lubrication and some bearings.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 11, 2023 11:27AM

Tatula LT on sale at TW.

Posted by: Tim I. Johnson (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 11, 2023 12:30PM

I agree with what Kendall and Michael said, 3000 size, also comes with a T handle, which I also prefer. The Ballistic MQ is very nice, Daiwa also makes a Tatula MQ that has a higher gear ratio than the Ballistic if that helps you.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2023 02:20PM

Bob Ferreira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lance, Thanks for your inputs - much appreciated.
> will definitely check put these alternatives. A
> quick follow up question for you. When going with
> the 20# braid does it make sense to move to a 3000
> size reel?

Bob,

I cast mostly artificials and use a Shimano 2500 Nexave with 20# power braid that has the diameter of 8# mono and caught many redfish, flounder, trout, macs and even a few jacks (got spooled too). I will tie on a 15# or 20# fluorocarbon leader using a Uni knot and it can pass through the 4.5mm tip top. A small reel is light and pairs well with the blanks I have mentioned. I have a Daiwa Saltist 3000 and it seems like a large reel. I built a 7'6" spinning rod for it using a Fuji PB blank. That reel has 30# braid on it. Kendall is spot on about those reel sizes.
Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2023 02:27PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Date: November 11, 2023 03:49PM

really appreciating all the great input and helping learn as I go.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.75.---)
Date: November 11, 2023 08:51PM

Before believing that all cork grips are lighter than all CF grips, weigh both materials of the same design and size.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster