I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heddon #10
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: November 06, 2023 06:58PM

Is this rod worth refinishing or would it be better to just leave it alone and hang it on the rack? The whole rod has raised blotches along its length. If I want to refinish it, any advice would be well appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2023 06:59PM by Mark Brassett.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heddon #10
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2023 07:24PM

I've collected Heddon rods for many years. The #10 was a big seller but was one of their lower end models. However, Heddon used very good cane on all their rods and other than the smaller number of guides and less expensive reel seat, the #10 is a decent rod.

One thing you have to be careful of with the older cane rods is the glue used to bind the segments. If you see any delamination along its length, it may have been stored in a very dry or hot area for many years and could easily blow apart and fail if you fish it.

Posted by: sam fox (205.185.135.---)
Date: November 07, 2023 12:00PM

I have refinished several of these rods. If you want a restoration to original rod find someone to finish it but if you want it restored to fish but still keep it fairly original you can do it. Get some of the citrus stripper and take all the eyes off the rod then inspect it like Tom has said. If you find any delaminations then gently open them as much as you can by gently inserting a blade in the delamination and inserting a tooth pick to hold it open then get as much epoxy into it as possible remove the tooth picks and wipe it dry. wrap the repair area with thread, good and tight and let dry. After drying remove the thread and use the stripper on the whole rod. When wiping the stripper off with the green pad or when sanding use caution as bamboo splinters can go deep into your hand Wait 24 hrs. after using the stripper and lightly sand any rough areas. Use 2-3 coats of Permagloss by wiping it on with a sponge or a coffee filter. Put on new eyes using silk thread. Clean or repair the grip and finsh the rod with 2-3 more coats of permagloss on the eyes. Do not use epoxy on the eyes as it is heavy and will lose the hex look of the rod.

Date: November 07, 2023 01:11PM

Thanks, Tom and Sam. For now it will just be a wall hanger. I will eventually get around to a restoration and will follow the advice given.

Date: November 07, 2023 04:37PM

Take a close look at the blotches. I've seen these before but it's been years ago. I seem to recall that I was able to remove them fairly well with a good cleaning. Really depends on what they are - old mold or mildew spots, water spots, etc. If they are deep into the blank finish you could be dealing with heat spots or something that isn't going to respond to a general cleaning.

Date: November 08, 2023 05:46AM

The blotches are raised blotches. I think the finish has bubbled up all along the entire length of the rod.

Date: November 08, 2023 07:23AM

You may be dealing with a previous heat issue.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---)
Date: November 10, 2023 10:01PM

Being in Michigan I’ve restored/refinished more Heddons than I can count. What you are calling blotches are actually the varnish that has broken down. Heddon ised a custom mix and sprayed it on. You can actually scrap most of it off then wipe it down with DNA. Be car around any writing.
It’s been said there are two kinds of Heddons. Those that have been refinished and thise that need refinishing.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2023 05:53AM

If I was you, get a copy of Bamboo Restoration Handbook by Micheal Sinclair. The book is out of print, but you can find used copies out there, bit pricey, but worth it.

The book will take you step by step thru the restoration process and it has many of the specifications of bamboo production rods, like what brand and color of thread was used.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 08:05AM

Or you could just ask here and get answers from people who have done that work before and are willing to share

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster