I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC SB724
Posted by: Tim I. Johnson (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2023 11:11AM

Hello,
Anyone that might be able to tell me how far up from the butt of this blank do you have to go to reach an OD of 12.5mm ? TIA.
TJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC SB724
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2023 11:44AM

I just checked on an SB 724 I received very recently. From end of the butt to 12.5 mm ....... 15 3/4"

My blank is a tad bigger than the numbers posted on the web site. The butt of my blank is .590" .... and a 5/64 tube tip top fits perfectly

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2023 12:15PM

I just checked my SB724 with a smooth mirror finish with 12.5 mm metal winding checks. They was about 12-13 inches from the end of the blank, depending on the winding check used. The battery for my digital calipers was dead.
Norm

Date: November 04, 2023 12:23PM

Thank you David and Norm, David was your blank mirror, or unsanded, just curious. Thanks again

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2023 03:13PM

Tim, no problem. Mine was the unsanded version, but I sanded it just enough to make it a smooth finish.

That's quite the difference between what I gave you, and what Norman gave you. Not sure what to think about that. I just checked it again and came up with the same number. I checked both times with my digital caliper.

Differences in blank taper I suppose. I just checked the OD at 12 1/2" from the butt and I came up with 13.14 mm

Date: November 04, 2023 03:23PM

Thanks again David, what are your impressions of that blank ? wanting to build something similar to IMMS72ML power wise but maybe a little nicer, I think you are familiar with that blank too ?

Date: November 04, 2023 04:24PM

Tim, no, I'm not familiar with that particular blank. The closest Immortal blank I have to the IMMS72ML would be the IMMC73ML. Flexing the two, the SB 724 feels a lot like the 73ML. And the CCS numbers I came up with for both would bare out how they feel. AA for both rods are virtually identical, and their IP are only 30 grams apart, with the 73ML being the more powerful. The 73ML is built as a casting rod, and I use it primarily for throwing 3.8 and 4.3 Keitech fat impacts on 1/8 - 3/8 oz jig heads. I also use it for tube jigs, as well as lighter Texas rigs with up to 5/16 oz bullet weights.

Looking at the Rodbuilding.org CCS data base, they have the IMMS72ML listed as a little less powerful, but with a much faster action. CCS numbers I got for the SB 724 are an IP of 513 grams, with an AA of 71. The IMMS72ML is listed as an IP of 480 grams, with an AA of 81. That leads me to believe it has a pretty soft tip. Probably a great higher powered drop shot rod.

Anyhow ..... I'll be building my SB 724 as a spinning rod. It will pretty much be my shaky head rod.

Date: November 04, 2023 05:50PM

Just checked my measurements using my vernier micrometer. The diameter at 13” up is 0.495” = 12.57 mm. The butt diameter was 0.5825 and the tip fit a 4.5 tip top. Pretty darn close to the specs given by NFC.
The CCS numbers I got for this blank were Ip = 463 and AA = 74.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2023 05:57PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2023 06:09PM

Norman, I'm wondering if my blank having different dimensions that yours, although not by all that much, is enough to have such a discrepancy in our distances from the butt being so different. Seems somewhat logical as the butt of the blank I have is .0075" larger and my tip top needs to be a 5, to fit. Those kind of discrepancies could push where 12.5 mm is on my blank versus yours.

Could also be why my CCS numbers are different than yours. Less taper over the length of the blank, a little more power and a little slower action.

What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2023 06:12PM by David Baylor.

Date: November 04, 2023 07:37PM

David - Could very well be how they trimmed the blank. Taking a little off the tip but keeping the same length, would certainly make the butt a little larger, and put the 12.5 mm point a little further up the blank. Such a trim might also account for the differences in our CCS values.
Norm

Date: November 05, 2023 07:38AM

Thank you both for the info, as always, very helpful
TJ

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2023 03:17PM

Another data point. I measured my SB724 at 73 degrees and 398 grams. Butt is 0.5925. Tip is 4-1/2. 12.5 mm is 13-3/8" up from the butt end.

Date: January 28, 2024 09:20AM

I'm working on two builds right now, with one of them being on an SB 724 blank, and since I can't find the I messed up thread from a while back, I figured I post to this thread. What with it being a build on the same blank n all. LOL

Anyhow....... I epoxied the polyurethane arbor in the reel seat last night, along with an Alps TRS trim ring that I like to use between the reel seat and rear grip. Put my little Irwin squeeze clamp on it to hold the TRS nice and tight, and went back to watching the Barrett Jackson car @#$%&.

I get up this morning, take off the clamp, grab my 3/8" Flex Coat pilot bit and reamers .... bore out the arbor with the pilot bit and reamed to fit the blank (I already had the rear grip epoxied on) I'm watching the 24 hours of Daytona and all happy about my investment in the pilot bit because it worked so well .... grab the reamers and ream it to fit the blank, which was soooo much easier because I used the pilot bit ...... Go into the room where I wrap my rods, grab my Rod Bond, mix up a batch and slather it on the blank, grab the reel seat and start sliding it on the blank and well ................ I'll let the picture I am linking tell the rest of the story.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Needless to say I called myself a dummy a time or two lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster