I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Carbon Fiber Guides
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 05, 2023 01:14AM

Dennis Danku Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, not for me. Too much bulk in the frame.

I agree. I’ll happily wait for a sleeker generation, if one arrives. There are multiple problems with the really thick frames. Along with using more carbon fiber, It takes a thick ring of ceramic to span that material. The thread tunnels will also be very tall and voluminous. These will need to be filled with quite a bit more finish to keep everything looking neat after drying (voids never look right), and to prevent water intrusion.

Titanium is a really good guide material. Along with being light and strong, it maintains shape memory, has a long vibration decay time, and is perfectly noble in regards to being corrosion proof. Supplanting titanium might take a few tries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 05, 2023 10:55AM

I don't mind thicker frames and guide rings IF they end up being lighter than a titanium frame and guide ring of similar size . If they could make the frames as thin as stainless and titanium they would but I don't see that being possible with carbon fiber at this time . The bottom line for me is are they lighter than titanium framed guides of equal size . I also don't think you will be able to thin the foot out, that bulk is needed to maintain their strength and that imo is their biggest negative from what I see from the images.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 05, 2023 07:20PM

I am not a fan of the squared off edges on the feet, but the pattern is pretty sweet! Would match very well with the woven carbon fiber handles from NFC...

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 05, 2023 07:51PM

How does to frame react to bending, accidental or not?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 05, 2023 08:55PM

So NFC, can the feet be ground? Tapered.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 05, 2023 09:03PM

Kerry Hansen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does to frame react to bending, accidental or
> not?

The photos in the OP show that the guides are manufactured with unusually large radius bends, likely to limit bending stresses. I’m guessing this tells us something about how they react to bending.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 06, 2023 08:21AM

My concerns are;

1) Can the end of the foot be tapered and dressed for a smooth thread wrap transition.

2) Is the bottom of the foot flat or radius-ed. I grind / machine / file or sand a radius under the guide foot for a more secure contact against the blank.

3) What will be the price range.

I know the foot can be dressed but the exposed whiskers of the fibers would have to be resealed or somehow impregnated.

I like the concept and believe these guides have a place in rod crafting.

Have fun

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: November 06, 2023 09:07AM

If you have worked with carbon fiber grips you know that unlike fiberglass the carbon stuff can be sanded without leaving any sort of "wiskers" sticking out. It sands smooth.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 06, 2023 04:52PM

But if thinned tapered and thinned down will they be strong enough? Right now that looks like a pretty fat foot.

To me doesn't matter since they are so obtrusive and unattractive, so won't use them. My mind would never let go. It's just me.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2023 07:26PM

Guides are way overbuilt for the job they have to do. They'd be plenty strong.

Rich Forhan covered this in his podcast with Bill Falconer a couple weeks back. Even a heavy bass, heavily loaded, only puts about a pound of load on any of the mid to lower section guides. Much, much less on the guides on the upper half of the rod.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2023 07:37PM

I know there are a lot of questions - and answers are forthcoming.

For now - which do you prefer? A rounded ring frame design or classic?

For those that commented on the guide foot, those are easy (easiest?) to adjust.

Aleks

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: November 07, 2023 08:04PM

teardrop

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 07, 2023 09:25PM

I've seen carbon fiber frames that actually look very much like standard metal frames and they look very sleek and not bulky or thick at all which surprised me .

The NFC frames have a certain appeal to them and I'm not sure if I would prefer the NFC style or the style that looks a lot closer to traditional frames, I would have to see them in person but I'm leaning toward the NFC style . One thing that spooked me is the prices for some of the other carbon fiber guide frames that I saw , not what I was expecting and it appears I was wrong when I said I expected them to be cheaper than titanium framed guides .

I have no idea what NFC has planned for pricing but the ring material chosen will have an impact on that but It looks like carbon fiber guide frames will become much more prominent moving forward and I think it's a good thing because there are significant benefits to them over stainless steel which have been a mainstay for rod builders seemingly forever. The real question is how much lighter will they be than titanium and will they be cost effective enough to replace titanium with certain types of anglers .

Date: November 08, 2023 07:06PM

Classic.

Posted by: Brian Jackson (107.115.203.---)
Date: November 08, 2023 07:49PM

My vote would be for the classic design but they both look great

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 08, 2023 11:33PM

My preference is the rounded style, the classic to me looks like GUMBY.

I like the guides and would try them.
Have fun.

Posted by: Robert Henry (---)
Date: November 14, 2023 07:53PM

I'd gladly try them out, just make a casting set soonest!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2023 03:04PM

So what does a tip top look like?

Date: November 15, 2023 07:03PM

I believe a conventional tip has to be used with these guides.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.norvado.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 19, 2023 07:49AM

New ideas are fun to see. I have to say being a classic guy - I prefer the sleek look of nice stainless guides. And if they have stainless rings, they are already super light guides, so not sure how much performance advantage there would be?

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster