I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone use Permagloss on labels?
Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: October 27, 2023 04:13PM

Looking for a different, thinner, solution. Anyone use Permagloss for rod labels instead of epoxy? Does it hold up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone use Permagloss on labels?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2023 04:53PM

Yeah, it'll hold up forever. But...

PermaGloss is likely to eat up most labels if you don't apply CP first. And PermaGloss isn't going to give you that super smooth epoxy look.

You can apply epoxy quite thinly. Use a stiffer brush and put on less. Otherwise I'd look at a clear spray coating.

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: October 28, 2023 12:26AM

It seems store bought rods use something else other than the epoxy we use. Theirs seem way thinner and too perfect. When I go real thin, it seems hours later it pulls away in some spots (like fish eye contamination) or the label edges start showing themselves. Label seems like it never gets evenly coated until I put on multiple coats, which in turn promotes the “wavey” finish. The best I’ve accomplished was building it up, then sanding down smooth, then adding a thin coat on that (and hope no dust gets on it). Looking for an easier way. I have not tried thinning the epoxy down with denatured alcohol or acetone yet.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2023 08:45AM

They're using epoxy, or in many cases, they simply screen print the information directly on the rod blank.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 28, 2023 02:39PM

John, have you tried putting down a thin coat of finish, letting it cure, then place your decal on top of it, and then finishing with another thin coat of finish?

I've only put one decal on any of the rods I've built, but I have done 3 or 4 others as practice, on a scrap blank that I use for color testing thread wraps. I have only used NFC decals thus far, so I don't know how other manufacturers decals work. But it works great on the NFC decals. I can see no hint of even an edge of the decal anywhere.

Just a thought.

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: November 01, 2023 10:34PM

I’ve done thin coats, and I’ve done thick coats. I’m sure decal quality has something to do with it as my coatings on Rainshadow decals come out near perfect. Anything else, it’s a crap shoot. Just noticed that the last two NFC labels I epoxied had the ink run a bit. Never had that happen before.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: November 02, 2023 01:00AM

I would have to say that the area of the decal, particularly on unsanded blanks such as NFC LMX or Epic G blanks, that I have a hard time making the area over the label super smooth. Even if I sand it and do 3 or 4 thin coats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster