I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which power wrapper?
Posted by: Al purvis (---)
Date: October 26, 2023 09:04PM

Hey guys,

Im in the market for a power wrapper. I’ve had my eyes set on the flexcoat power wrapper/finishing machine but saw that mudhole has the rbs gen 2 wrapper(appears to be equivalent to the flexcoat one) on sale slightly cheaper. I know both flexcoat and mudhole offer quality products so I’m sure both units are fantastic but was wondering if anyone had any insights to offer to help with my decision. Anyone have either of these units? Are there other wrappers on the market that you can suggest?

Thanks guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which power wrapper?
Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2023 09:41PM

Great topic!

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2023 10:35PM

I have the DC777 flexcoat wrapper/finishing machine and have been very happy with it. This is the only machine I've ever had so can't really compare to others on the market. The Flexcoat motor has great adjustability (forward and reverse and speed control) without having to mess with any belts or anything. The slip clutch is super nice when applying finish to allow you to easily stop the rod rotation and hit a small area or do some touch-up work. They recently have updated some things and have a newer machine called the DX777. If you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest checking out the videos on the machines at the Flexcoat website [youtu.be] and [youtu.be]

Also checkout the "Catch the Wave" video for some pointers on applying finish.

I would say you would be very happy with the Flexcoat machine. Give the folks at Flexcoat a call and I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions for you. Great people.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 26, 2023 11:27PM

X2 with Kevin, also that slotted board behind the motor has room for tool/supply storage if you buy the accessories that work on those slotted board panels you can install in your shop or garage.

Posted by: John McCleish (---.esvabroadband.net)
Date: October 27, 2023 08:04AM

I've got the DC777 too. That machine is the cat's meow. If you get the DX777, you'll never look back. And if you go to FlexCoat to pick it up, I'll bet John Cates will even walk it out to your car for you.

Mac

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 27, 2023 12:36PM

Al

It is a good question and I enjoy reading all of the valid and often biased responses of the pros and cons of the various wrapping machines available.

I do not think you could go wrong with any of the top brands, any shortcomings can be managed with satisfactory results.

I got around that confusion by making my own wrapping and turning system that suits my specific needs and most likely, I am the only one that can operate it.

If you are mechanically inclined you may consider building your own wrapping system.

Help for selection of motors and hardware is readily available on the site.

Sadly, depending on how deep you dive into it, the cost can be more than the existing ready made units.

Fortunately I have been blessed with mechanical skills and am able to build my own equipment. So...

My philosophy is " I did not like factory rods so I build my own, I'm not excited about factory wrapping units so I built my own".

Again, you can't go wrong with any of the units mentioned above.

Have fun

John

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 27, 2023 01:07PM

If you plan on constructing lots and lots of rods then a power wrapper makes sense .

A saw somebody selling one in the "For sale" section .

"Selling Flex Coat OEM Power Rod Wrapper for $375. I purchased this rod wrapper new. It was used to make about six rods"

I wrap by hand without power but I also don't build tons of rods .

Posted by: Harry Sandoval (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2023 02:21PM

I am in the same search and I think the scales have tipped in favor of the flex coat because of the faster dryer speeds which look like it could help level finishes faster.
Also, after adding a slip clutch to the variable speed rod dryer I bought to start out with, I can't imagine finishing without it.

On top of that, I don't think I can bring myself to turn cork on the same machine I will be applying finish on. In fact, I think that all of my grip turning will be outside in order to keep my shop/garage in a cleaner state...

So even though the CRB looks cooler, is less money, and has better looking rod stands, I think for what I need, the Flexcoat has the better features that will be more useful to my situation...

Let us know which way you go and how it works. I still have time to change my mind since my current hand wrapper setup on CRB rails is working great...
Harry

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 27, 2023 02:47PM

Don't know how dryer speed makes the finish level faster since you can get a beautiful job just 180 turning the rod by hand every minute or so, than even less as it sets up. I'd choose function over bling everytime, the Flexcoat people have the experience to build it right, just look at the wheel overlap on their wrapper and the simplicity of design.

Posted by: Travis W Thompson (163.116.133.---)
Date: October 27, 2023 04:05PM

chris c nash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you plan on constructing lots and lots of rods
> then a power wrapper makes sense .
>
>
> A saw somebody selling one in the "For sale"
> section .
>
>
> "Selling Flex Coat OEM Power Rod Wrapper for $375.
> I purchased this rod wrapper new. It was used to
> make about six rods"
>
>
> I wrap by hand without power but I also don't
> build tons of rods .

Ditto

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 27, 2023 04:15PM

Al purvis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys,
>
> Im in the market for a power wrapper. I’ve had
> my eyes set on the flexcoat power
> wrapper/finishing machine but saw that mudhole has
> the rbs gen 2 wrapper(appears to be equivalent to
> the flexcoat one) on sale slightly cheaper. I know
> both flexcoat and mudhole offer quality products
> so I’m sure both units are fantastic but was
> wondering if anyone had any insights to offer to
> help with my decision. Anyone have either of these
> units? Are there other wrappers on the market that
> you can suggest?
>
> Thanks guys!

My thoughts. Don't buy based on cost. Seen on here so many who did THEN upgraded for better chuck (thus purchasing two chucks) for one thing. i chose to not have my dryer on same base as my wrapping. You need to choose which way it turns thus have thread either coming from back or front. Finally, I do all dusty turning separate from my clean wrapping room. I even blocked the floor register so I don't circulate dust in the clean room. Think about it before you buy. Like the old adage, "measure twice and cut ONCE"!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 27, 2023 05:24PM

Hello All.

I've got 5 or 6, a couple I built 2 or 3 Pac Bay plus a bunch of different drying set-ups and I like Em all.

I never did a lot of rod selling but I think I did my share of building.
When I was hard on building marlin rods I liked the way the motors ran through the long under wraps, when I was back to nature, building rods from just about anything you can think of from reeds found in the back yard too willow or birch or oak limbs cut from the tree an sized-up on the rod or wood lathe depending on size.

A power wrapper can be useful even when not using the motor, you can use it to put tension on your rod so in the middle of a wrap you can get up and answer the phone, or go to the head, I sometimes hook my rod into it and set up for weaving so it's easer to keep trac of rotations.

Yep I like Em All.

Pick one or build one you'll find a use for it.,

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 28, 2023 12:00PM

Note:
An excellent way to have a power wrapper is to have a motor on the power wrapper that will reliably turn the rod continuously at 5 rpm and simply turn up the speed to any faster speed that you wish for wrapping.

That way, you are working on a rod and wrap at speeds that are convenient for you.

Then, when it is time to apply finish you can apply finish at any speed up to the maximum speed of the wrapper.

Finally, for the long drying time, simply turn the speed dial down to a drying speed you prefer and you are set.

No belts to change, no plugs, to change, no rods to move to a different machine.

If you are into production rod building, then, it makes sense to transfer the rod to a multi rod dryer of any design you prefer to free up the machine that is used for wrapping and finish application.

This is typical of the production sequence used by all of the name brand production rod factories.

--------------------------------------
For a wrapper system, I consider the following needs.
The ability to turn a rod at speeds from 0 to a maximum comfortable wrapping speed - somewhere around 150-400 rpm.
The ability to have the same machine to reliably turn the rod at speeds from 5 rpm to the maximum speed - in either direction mandantory.
A chuck on the machine that is 100% bullet proof and will reliably hold the rod with no fear of failure.
I personally prefer the use of a single motor, so that there is no belt changing or other tooling changes required to go from wrapping to finish application to drying.

Best wishes

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 28, 2023 09:11PM

I would go with Flex-Coat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster