I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TOG ROD
Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: October 20, 2023 10:59AM

Looking for recommendations for a 6-foot tog rod that has a good back bone.
Thanks in advance for any and all help! .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TOG ROD
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 20, 2023 01:10PM

I’m on the wrong side of the country for Tog, but do some reasonably parallel bottom fishing with rods I build. That length seems a little short. It takes more information like: jigging verses bait rigs, jig type and weight range (if applicable), intended reel, and line preferences to really nail-down a good match. You might want a slower, more parabolic action or a fast one depending on these particulars.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 20, 2023 02:24PM

The Rod Geek XC 733 was dialed in for Togs I have heard from very good sources.

Date: October 20, 2023 10:17PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Rod Geek XC 733 was dialed in for Togs I have
> heard from very good sources.

I was thinking either the XC 733 or XC 734 would be hard to beat in that price range without knowing Tog specifics. If staying short is important for some reason, I would be quite comfortable that the United Composites US65H would work well for bait and some types of jigs in the general weight range of Tog fishing. I’ve not built on that one, but I have built the next length longer US70H, and like it. I’ve also built on the similar, but even longer 7’9” US79Mega blank with great results. This UC segment is on the fast side of moderate-fast, so they aren’t probably the best for butterfly jigging. They are great for moving bait and using Pitbull Tackle’s Bora jigs. The same company’s Deadfall jig works okay on them, but a little more parabolic action would be better.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: October 21, 2023 07:46AM

Kendall the reason is they are going to fish the harbor refuge wall at the mouth of the Delaware bay they suspend the boat with a toggle line in the wall and a anchor out in the sand they move the boat around to find a hole that the tog are hiding in .and must be able to get them out before they get back into a hole . That is why a short stiff pole is what this captain wants.

Date: October 21, 2023 11:54AM

Short and stiff in that weight range gets into a pretty small spectrum of blanks. The ideal one might be the UC DHX-US60XO, but it’s a bit deluxe for charter use. The Seekers, Calstars, and Black Holes cost even more.

[getbitoutdoors.com]

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 21, 2023 12:43PM

I agree with the choice of Rodgeeks blanks But, 7 ft. would be the shortest I would go. You need the arc to not only set the hook but pull the fish away from its lair.Another choice at about half the price would be GitBits Saltwater Composite blanks at 7'10". I take 10" off the top and it makes a great blackfish rod and still has plenty of flex in the top third of the blank.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster