I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Florida "66" fly reel
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: October 20, 2023 10:38AM

I know this is a rod building forum, and if this is against the rules, please let me know and it won't happen again. I am looking at an Old Florida 66 fly reel for sale, and my understanding is that they used a cork washer for the drag. People have commented about cork drag washers here and there, and the consensus is that they are a good deal providing the washers are "well maintained" by greasing them and whatever good maintenance entails.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Old Florida reels? The company has been history for many years apparently, having been bought out by Nautilus. If the reel in question had a cork drag washer that was dried out and essentially a goner, can washers be created as a last resort? Also, from what I can gather, the reel sold for about $250. new. It is for sale for that price now. Does that make sense?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Florida "66" fly reel
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2023 10:40AM

They had a very good reputation in their day. Cork drag washers do wear out and often meet their maker due to fishermen leaving the drag tight which compresses the washer/s to the point that they will not recover. I suspect you could experiment with some sheet cork and various lubricants and figure out a good combination that would put the reel back into useful service.

Date: October 20, 2023 12:24PM

Thank you Tom.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 20, 2023 02:29PM

I bought my Lamson Litespeeds for $200 30 years ago, look what they cost now. Same with whatever other fly reel you want to mention. They changed their look but little else.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-198-50-155.net)
Date: October 22, 2023 08:05AM

The Old Florida reels are not really that old. Most were built in the late 1990s to early 2000s. They are still considered to be very good reels .Good weight and balance and as their maker used to say almost as simple as a hammer. Not much to go wrong with them. Later the company was sold and renamed Natilus but the reels were not the same.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: October 22, 2023 10:07AM

You may find this link useful. IMHO, for what you are likely to pay for one today, you won't find a better reel.

[alantani.com]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.203.218.---)
Date: October 22, 2023 10:51AM

Ernie,
Contact Nautilus at 305 625 3437.
Speak to Charlotte. They may have old parts - or be able to help with a retrofitted drag.
Herb
CTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2023 10:51AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Date: October 22, 2023 07:54PM

Thank you guys...especially Russell and Herb.

Date: October 27, 2023 02:28PM

So....In my search for an older but decent quality reel, and after realizing that getting parts for Old Florida reels could be a challenge at this point, I got the impression that an Abel reel is what I may be looking for. Aside from possibly being a little heavy, there were no significant critiques of the Abels, and there were otherwise nothing but accolades for their older reels, although those reviews were made at around the time the reels were being manufactured. Nevertheless, it sounded pretty good to me.

I ended up with two 3N models, and one No.2 model. I'm R hand dominant, and I reel R handed with salt water fly reels. Although the No.2 is permanently set up for L hand retrieve, the company has the pawl that will allow me to reverse the retrieve to R hand. I guess that's one of the differences at this point between a company in business and one that is not. Does anyone have any of these models, and if so, what do you think?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2023 04:56PM

I used to sell them in my fly shop. They're very good reels. There are lots of very good reels out there and some just as good for a lot less money. But, I doubt you'll be disappointed in the Abels and parts should still be available if you ever need them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster