I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Taking the blue pill...
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 18, 2023 10:04AM

I been building rods a long time. Most of that time I was in my own vacuum of knowledge.
There was no internet, I didn't know about any groups or magazines.
I did however have access to several builders and learned a lot from them.
For the most part you buy the components, glue up a handle and tie on the guides and fish.
We all know there is much more to it than that.

Yesterday I was at McCay's used bookstore and found a book for $6.00.
It had a copywrite date of 1978. 1978?? An ounce of weed was $15 back then.
As I flipped through the pages I couldnt believe what I was looking at.
I felt like Neo from the Matix, "I know Kung Fu". I'm looking at pictures and articles on thing we are still discussing and debating today.
Then I come across a way to do something that is totally lost knowledge.
I look forward to reading this book from cover to cover...wishing I had this knowledge years ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taking the blue pill...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2023 10:11AM

There are other books from the same era you might be interested in if you don't have them - C. Boyd Pfeiffer's "Tackle Craft" came out in '74 and was expanded and updated in 1999. Plenty of custom rod building chapters within both. "How to make your own fishing rods" by Mel Marshall came out in '78. Clemen's first book, "Fiberglass Rod Making" came out in '74.

Date: October 18, 2023 10:17AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are other books from the same era you might
> be interested in if you don't have them - C. Boyd
> Pfeiffer's "Tackle Craft" came out in '74 and was
> expanded and updated in 1999. Plenty of custom rod
> building chapters within both. "How to make your
> own fishing rods" by Mel Marshall came out in '78.
> Clemen's first book, "Fiberglass Rod Making" came
> out in '74.
>
> .............
Mel Marshall's book was also there...I almost bought it.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---)
Date: October 18, 2023 11:47AM

Sweet find. We only paid $10 for a lid in Texas in 1978.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 18, 2023 01:30PM

Many of us can remember when that book was selling at a premium approaching between $80 - $100 maybe 20 years ago.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: October 18, 2023 03:51PM

That was awesome!

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: October 18, 2023 06:28PM

Learned a lot from all the books Tom mentioned. Most of the information is still pertinent today. My first orders for supplies were from Clemens, Pfeiffer, Cabelas, and Netcraft. I was extremely fortunate to have a master rodcrafter as my mentor..

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 18, 2023 10:12PM

Great Book for sure, I still reference back to it occasionally. Same thing with Billy V's Book on thread work. Great Book but I don't do a-lot of decorative wraps these days as I feel it does take away the vibration's and sensitivity of the rod. If I were building Trolling & Boat Rods that would be different.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: October 19, 2023 10:59AM

Chris,

Great find!

The interesting part for me is what you learned that opened your mind to Kung Fu.

What was your paradigm shift? What made you go, "Oh! I'll never be the same after this!" ??

Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---)
Date: October 19, 2023 01:47PM

I have a copy of the paperback on my shelf that I bought in 1984. It has a lot of epoxy and color preservative stains on it. Still a classic. Now I get most info from Tom’s magazine and YouTube.

Date: October 19, 2023 07:55PM

Les Cline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris,
>
> Great find!
>
> The interesting part for me is what you learned
> that opened your mind to Kung Fu.
>
> What was your paradigm shift? What made you go,
> "Oh! I'll never be the same after this!" ??

One thing that was kinda freaky is on page 193 there is reference to a guide spacing formula created by Victor M. Cutter of Greensboro, N.C.
He starts off with the placement of the butt guide and then spaces the guides according to his formula.
What was striking to me is that this is pretty close to what I do. I had this technique published in Rod Maker (Vol 25, 5).
He uses a lot less guides than I do and I use the metric system to measure. We both are using modern way to calculate.
I used Excell and he used a calculator that's "....becoming more available to households across the country."

I also came across a picture (p. 53) of "reel seat inserts of wood"...aka arbors.
He mentions using a three-sided file to cut grooves along the "length of the hole" (inside and out).
It just seemed like a much better version of what I was doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2023 09:31AM by Chris Catignani.

Date: October 19, 2023 08:32PM

Chris,

You do know Vic Cutter, don't you? He's worked at Bullard, Fenwick and Pure Fishing, all at a very high level. Pac Bay most recently. He's at most of the Expos and expects to be there again in 2024.

Take a listen to the recent Anglers Resource podcast on Mastering Rod Building. Vic talks about his history in the rod building and fishing industry. You will likely find it very interesting.

Date: October 19, 2023 09:25PM

Tom,

I don't think I know Vic...

Date: October 20, 2023 06:40AM

I have long felt that Vic and C. Boyd Pheiffer represent the greatest accumulated knowledge on the history of custom rod building and fishing. With Boyd gone, Vic remains probably the most knowledgeable guy on these subjects from both a personal and industry standpoint.

Date: October 20, 2023 09:45AM

Another gem from the books, in the acknowledgment section was a special thanks to Lamiglas chief rod designer, Gary Loomis.
I build a ton of rods on the GW72MH, M, ML back then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster