I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can I get some opinions?
Posted by: Al purvis (---)
Date: October 14, 2023 11:10PM

Do you guys think my hook keeper is too close to this winding check wrap?

I would like to keep my winding wraps this length on this rod so changing the length of the winding check isn’t an option so if it’s too close my option is to move the hook keeper up. I like the distance between the two now but I have never used a rod with this style of hook keeper before so I wasn’t sure if after I epoxied the thread wraps would the hook keeper area be too crowded for functionality?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I get some opinions?
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 14, 2023 11:13PM

Looks OK.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 14, 2023 11:42PM

If that doesn't work, you are using some big hooks.

Posted by: Al purvis (---)
Date: October 14, 2023 11:55PM

Thanks for the responses. I was worried that the thickness of the epoxy could make it a little crowded for hooks/drop shots. I moved it up a bit just to be safe

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---)
Date: October 15, 2023 06:22AM

I’m not a spin or casting rod builder, but is that hook keeper facing the right way?

Looks to me like it should be turned around so the slot is up and away from the blank, so when a hook goes into it, it is kept away from the blank as to not scratch it up.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 15, 2023 06:37AM

It is installed correctly-that's a drop shot keeper intended to capture the sinker when the line is taut. I think if installed the other way it would be too small to be practical and would not work for drop shot.

I really dislike that keeper, though. Easy to get too much wrap epoxy around and into it, too small for some lures. I really like a size 2 single foot wire fly guide. Very functional, can even be bent to make it work for drop shot, easy to wrap and finish, unobtrusive.

The best of all keepers in my opinion is the one designed and made by Norman Miller-Bob Guist can probably tell us what issue of the magazine it was featured in. It works well for all techniques, easy to wrap (only one wrap required), corrosion proof.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---)
Date: October 15, 2023 07:25AM

Ahh, okay, now I can picture how it functions.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 15, 2023 07:27AM

As far as the placement, pictured ..... you have it wrapped on the rod, how does it work for you without epoxy on the winding check wrap? My personal feelings are is that it is too close. Not to the winding check wrap, but to the fore grip. I'd want it another inch or so further away from the fore grip.

And yes, it's a drop shot keeper, but I don't use them to hold the weight, I think it's a horrible design for a drop shot keeper.. Having an open hook danging between where the weight is secured and the tip of the rod is a poor idea at best. I have one of this style keeper on my drop shot rod, and one of these days, probably this winter, I'm going to change it to a regular double footed wire hump/ hoop style keeper. Anyhow ..... the way I use this style keeper for a drop shot is, I put the hook under it and just wrap the drop line with the weight on it, around the stem of the reel. And that's just when I am transporting the rod in my rod box. When I have the rod on the deck of my boat I just let the weight lay on the deck.

But ...... I think they are awesome keepers for rods that use treble hooked baits, or rods where a snap is used to attach the bait to the line. When you take the bait off to transport the rod, the snap slips over the end of the keeper easily and keeps it very secure. I have them on all but one of my rods I use with treble hooked baits.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: October 15, 2023 08:56AM

Looks fine to me. I put mine a little farther out, but that’s just a personal preference. I also place them on the side, perpendicular to the top of the rod. That said, I don’t put hook keepers on rods I build for myself. Also, the drop shot keeper is very popular (at least with the bass guys), but I don’t know any that use them as they’re intended. They use them as a hook keeper, not a weight keeper.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 15, 2023 08:59AM

Daryl Ferguson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks fine to me. I put mine a little farther out,
> but that’s just a personal preference. I also
> place them on the side, perpendicular to the top
> of the rod. That said, I don’t put hook keepers
> on rods I build for myself. Also, the drop shot
> keeper is very popular (at least with the bass
> guys), but I don’t know any that use them as
> they’re intended. They use them as a hook
> keeper, not a weight keeper.

I use it the same way...typically I will put them on a rod (fsay for flipping) where I'm throwing plastics with the hook rigged weedless.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 15, 2023 09:29AM

Here you go Michael.

Volume/Issue............Article..............Author................Page.
21/1 Hook keeper, Open-End. By Norman W. Miller. 14
19/1 Hook Keeper, Does A Custom Rod Really Need It? By Chuck Bretz. 22

P.S. The second one is a bonus..

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2023 09:39AM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 15, 2023 10:16AM

Thanks, Robert!

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2023 11:11AM

Here is a picture of my hook keeper. It’s made of titanium welding wire bent to shape. It takes a few minutes to make, costs less than 15 cents, works extremely well, and will not corrode. I have been making this hook keeper for over 20 years. If you like the traditional double ft loop hook keepers you can use the titanium wire to make then yourself.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: October 15, 2023 11:55AM

For those that might not have known, that hook keeper, though called a “drop shot” keeper, actually excels at holding hooks at the bend. That way, Texas rigged plastics do not have to have the hookpoint removed to hold the bait. I typically place it 2 thumb widths away from my reel seat, as I like to be able to place a finger or two on the blank as I fish (a reason why I wouldn’t have the winding check wrap so long as in this picture). Though it feels more intuitive on the side of the blank, I’ve found that it interferes less (line catching it) when placed on the same side as the reel (bottom for spinning, top for baitcasting).

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 15, 2023 12:19PM

It totally depends on how you hold the rod. I hold a spinning rod with 3 or sometimes all fingers ahead of the reel stem and put my finger out on the rod blank. The short foregrip and close hook keeper would be a non-starter for me. If you grip further back and your fingers don't reach the hook keeper then it is just fine. For drop shots I have the hook keeper near the butt of the rod (split grip) and use the Fuji ez keeper above the grip. Hook goes on the ez keeper (which is moveable) and the weight goes on the keeper near the butt. A bit complicated, but the weight and hook are both on a keeper.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 15, 2023 06:11PM

I would move it out a half inch or so.

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: October 15, 2023 06:42PM

The placement is good enough. I had one that is further up away from the fore grip and on the side of the rod. Sometimes the line gets caught in it and it is a annoying hassle. I would fix that by moving it closer to the reel seat/ foregrip and positioned either on the top or bottom of the rod, not on the side. Which you seems to have done correctly in the picture.

Also, it wouldn't be too crowded even with epoxy on it. You should be able to put a hook over it without problems. Unless you are using a unnaturally heavy gauge wire for a hook in which that rod would reasonably never see.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: October 15, 2023 06:48PM

It does get tight on larger worm hooks after a couple coats of epoxy. I’d say 3/0 and above, but It works good for securing the DS weight or the smaller fine-wire hooks. The way you had it looks like it would cause the hook to snap into the keeper after the epoxy but if your using this for securing the line at the weight it would work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster