I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Varnishing Reel Seat Wood Inserts
Posted by: Alan Mock (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 10, 2023 03:23PM

I’m looking for on advice on best practices for applying varnish to reel seat inserts. I have tried dipping the insert in the varnish followed by sanding with 320 grit sand paper and then dipping again. Also tried applying it by brush but results were pretty much the same. It takes repeating the process 3 to 4 times before I get an acceptable finish. Feedback is very appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Varnishing Reel Seat Wood Inserts
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 10, 2023 03:36PM

I like Tru-Oil, a polymerized varnish for this sort of thing. I wipe it on with a soft cloth saturated in the "oil" and then sand very lightly with 400 grit paper before applying another application. Generally I use 3 applications.

If you are working with any highly resinous wood, such as those in the Rosewood family, you'll want to give the insert a "solvent bath" for a day or so to remove the resin which tends to prevent any sort of top coating from drying or curing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 10, 2023 09:07PM

Alan,
I put the inserts on the rod dryer and apply two coats of thread finish and let cure.

Easy and very long lasting.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 11, 2023 04:22PM

Alan,
Tom offers good advice concerning giving the wood a “solvent bath” (DNA). I would do it for almost any wood, just to make sure and for the piece-of-mind. While Tom’s suggestion of Tru Oil and Roger’s of thread epoxy are certainly very good, I have become very fond of PermaGloss for finishing wood projects, not only rod building related but other smaller wood and composite projects as well. Its viscosity is so thin that it penetrates deeply into the wood while producing a very glossy, durable finish yet can still see the grain of the wood (depending upon how many {few} coats are applied).
3 replies with 3 different suggestions should confuse you adequately. In the end, all 3 work.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 11, 2023 08:04PM

Here is suggestion number 4.

A mixture of beeswax and mineral oil. Typical uses are cutting boards rolling pins bowls.....

The oil sinks deep into the wood and after 2 or 3 days the oily feel is gone.

The bees wax tends to seal the pores. After a few days the wood can be buffed to a satin sheen.

A typical formula is, Beeswax 1 oz by weight and mineral oil 4.8 fluid oz. You can go to the internet for more details for mixing and applying.

Have fun

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s3309.c3-0.atw-cbr4.atw.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: October 11, 2023 08:23PM

I met a fine gunstock maker who shared his favorite pore filling/finishing method with me. Many hand rubbed applications of Pro Custom Oil gunstock finish.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Alan Mock (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2023 08:43PM

Lot's of great advice. Thank you!!

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 11, 2023 09:29PM

Most wood finishes fall into either the more natural oil based or the synthetic polyurethane based camps. Oil based polyurethane finishes can be mixed with things like tung oil to complicate this even more. The shellacs are sort of an in between, third camp as they are based on a resinous insect secretion that is relatively hard and durable. Waxes can be incorporated into or on top of any of them. All types of finishes can be formulated endlessly with various proportions and additives of things like UV filters or Japan drier. The right finish and application method completely depends on the aesthetics you want and how important different performance parameters are to you. Thirty-six people could give you 36 different and legitimate recommendations. The biggest thing that can go wrong is spontaneous combustion of some mixtures, such as with linseed oil, in rags. Most tried and true formulas are going to work just fine. I knew some late gunsmiths and stock makers who argued quite a bit about concoctions that were nearly the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2023 09:49PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: October 12, 2023 08:31AM

I'll throw out two finishes I like. If I want a gloss finish I use Gorilla Glue, sometimes with an epoxy undercoat to fill the grain. This is a link to it's use as a rod finish [cdn.shopify.com]. Here is another one from This Old House [www.youtube.com]. If I want a more subdued finish I use Odie's Oil.

t

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster