I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting rod running guides
Posted by: Reade Belote (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 09, 2023 07:48PM

New rod builder here. Have only built spinning rods so far. My son wants to build a flipping stick with recoil guides. I have seen post for the stripper guide size but was hoping for help with running guides sizing. Any help is appreciated! Thanks for helping a new builder!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting rod running guides
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 09, 2023 09:32PM

Running guides can be any size that will pass any knots you have to pass. Most of my casting rods are no larger than 5.5's. I have a few at 4 and they work fine. The heavier the guides the slower the recovery from deflection, so go as light as you feel comfortable with.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: October 09, 2023 09:36PM

I concur with Michael. I like small and light.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 10, 2023 01:16AM

Your pretty restricted in choices with REC guides, on double foot they stop at a 6, on single foot they stop at a 4 start at a 5. If you use a fluor leader, not knowing line size and knot, I certainly will not go under a 5.

Your pretty restricted in choices with REC guides, on double foot they stop at a 6, on single foot they stop at a 4 start at a 5. If you use a fluor leader, not knowing line size and knot, I certainly will not go under a 5.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2023 09:33AM

Just something to consider. I have heard from others that if you use braided line, Recoil guides are rather noisy. If that's something that may bother him, you might want to consider other options.

Fuji KT running guides in titanium or black titanium with SIC rings in size 5 are only 20 cents more per guide, and I know they aren't noisy with braid. 4s and 4.5s are less expensive than Recoils Of course you gain a little in ID with Recoil guides and you don't have to worry about knocking out a ring.

Just something to consider ....

Date: October 10, 2023 11:21AM

Flipping, I wouldn't think would generate much chance for noise from the REC guides, and it really isn't a big deal even when you are actually casting line through the guides.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2023 12:33PM

Understandable Spencer. I just mention it because some people can find some sounds annoying. I know the sound a Shimano DC casting reel makes is one of those sounds for me. It's the only reason I'll probably never get one.

As far as the sound of braid goes, I hate the sound it makes through the guides when reeling it in. But I will say that because I only use braid for pretty much one thing, that I haven't tried any of the smoother versions they've come out with in the past few years. Aside from the very early versions of braid they used to call Kevlar, I've only ever used original Power Pro. Maybe some day I'll give some of the newer "quieter" braids a try.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: October 10, 2023 02:10PM

Please note that the sizing of Recoil guides is not the same as most other "standard" guides. The size of a standard guide is measured by the OD of the ring insert, as Recoils do not have an insert they use their own system. This is not exact, but for general reference a Recoil guide OD will be 1 size smaller than the model # dictates (the difference gets to 2 or 3 mm on guides 20 & over). Therefore a size 6 Recoil is closer in comparison to a "standard" size 5 guide, a size 7 more like a 6 and so on. The other anomaly is that the single foot running guides needed for most casting setups are listed as "Spinning" guides - sizes 6, 7, and 8L specifically.

To sum everything up, any Recoil single foot guide 8L and lower are to be used as runners and guide sizes will be smaller than the model# says it is - hope this helps.

Posted by: Ray Morrison (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 10, 2023 03:06PM

Here's a couple quick measurements of the ID of the REC single foot to compare to other running guides you may have used.

Size 6, ID = 3.83 mm
Size 7, ID = 4.65 mm

I don't have experience with braid and recoils. I typically use mono or floro.

I've used the size 6 as runners on a casting rod and like them.

As another reference, on an older G Loomis GLX crankbait CBR 855 I have, the runners are REC size 7.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 10, 2023 05:20PM

Great info on the ID's of Recoil guides. Certainly not what I thought at all. Curious if anyone has compared the weight of a #5 Recoil with that of a Fuji titanium with SIC ring #5? I have one spare #5 black titanium w SIC ring, but my scale won't weigh something that light.

Posted by: Reade Belote (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 10, 2023 07:06PM

Thanks very much for all the info. You guys rock! I think it might be easier to look the the Fuji titanium, and re examine the recoils when i can get hands on some in real time. Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster