I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC Travel Blank - Which blank?
Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: October 02, 2023 11:53AM

Alex,

I'm confused on what the true power and action are.

The lure ratings, line ratings, and blank weights are nothing like your traditional blanks. I cannot purchase these without better info.

MB683: 10lb max / 1oz max / 1.77oz
FW684: 6lb max / 1.5oz max / 2.2oz
SJ683: 10lb max / 5/8oz max / 1.75oz

MB704: 15lb max / 1.5oz max / 2.54oz
MB705: 17lb max / 3oz max / 2.98oz

I'm trying to find something similar to the Delta SJ705 and MB704.

I think the 683-4 looks like a great all around medium plus.

Where would I look for the next power up? Without going up in blank weights and lure rating.

The MB705 seems oddly powerful and heavy. The line ratings seem odd too.

Hard to order without better info. Would love bend profiles.

Respectfully,

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2023 11:57AM by Rob Carey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC Travel Blank - Which blank?
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2023 01:25PM

Just CCS measured the NFC travel rods I had on hand.
SJ683-4 IP = 467 gm. AA = 76.5
MB683-4 IP= 518 gm. AA = 73.5
MB704-4 IP = 740 gm. AA = 74.5
They are all very nice blanks, with a nice smooth bend. The ones I’ve made up casted great within the lure weights listed listed. Since they are 4 piece blanks, you have to realize the ferrules make the blanks heavier, stiffer and more powerful than you would expect for a one piece rod with the same ratings. That’s just the nature of the beast.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 02, 2023 02:02PM

What Norm said, you get the same results from 6- and 7-piece fly rods. Great to pack, not near as effective as a like 2-, 3-, or 4-piece rod. All my travel rods are 2-, or 3 piece, except for an unnecessary 8 1/2 ft., 4 piece casting, salmon rod, no need to go this short unless you are packing it in your luggage.

Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: October 11, 2023 08:11AM

I get what you are saying...

Why throw your number rating system out the window?

Why not make the wall thinner and achieve actions we are familiar with?

Gary is know for his MB705...Why would you not try to copy that action? Why would you give me a 705 that's rated to 3oz?

Seems like these blanks were not very thought out.

Additionally, I don't understand why they make so many models when they could stick to a few very popular lengths and actions.

They seem to just be very random specs.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 11, 2023 03:27PM

I don't know about you guys, but I expect a lot more out of my travel rods, after all my arsenal is pretty restricted when I need a travel rod, I would want to know how much dead bait and trolling weight it would carry, that means the ratings would not be the same as a one piece bass rod would normally show in the catalog.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 11, 2023 04:01PM

Rob, no one but NFC can really answer the why questions, but CCS is objective and is exactly how the blanks perform. One thing that might help correlate between models is if you can find CCS data on some rods you are familiar with , look on [docs.google.com]

Click on the "CCS Database" link at the bottom and search the data. The home page that opens when you go to that link has instructions.

Here is MB705 from the database: SM LMX MB 705-1 84 612.5 72.3 21.05 1 2 oz I don't know why your 705 blank spec is 3 oz, but that is obviously wrong. It is more like 2 oz. Unless somehow there are 2 MB 705's. ????

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster