I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to remove rod finish
Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: October 01, 2023 10:00PM

One of my rods have some coating or clear coat that is separating from the paint in some places. What is the best way to remove the coating without hurting the paint underneath? Scraping?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to remove rod finish
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: October 02, 2023 12:03AM

I use heat sparingly and then a razor blade. Caution should be taken if you go this route. I have an extremely steady hand. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that, use a credit card, etc…

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 02, 2023 01:12AM

Ryan.
To answer your question, A PRAYER! It is unlikely that you will be able to save one or the other; but then, I don’t know your attention to detail. If it is over a large area, you may be SOL. If smaller areas such as limited to guide wraps, mildly heat and scrape the unsightly epoxy and replenish with new (admittedly easier said than done). Good luck!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 02, 2023 07:55AM

One solution would be to remove the guides.
Give it a light roughing with a green Scotch Bright pad.
Then apply a coating of PermaGloss.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 02, 2023 10:29AM

Ryan,
As Mark said - not likely.

IN a case like this, I remove the guides.

Then, I use very gentle heat and a razor blade held at right angles to the blank to remove everything that is coating the blank.

Then, generally speaking, I just go down to 1200 sand paper used wet to give the blank a mirror finish.

Then, I wrap the guides back on the bare blank and coat the wraps with standard wrap finish.

No paint needed or necessary on the bare blank, when you get it down to the bare blank and give it a nice polish.

There are many commercial makers who ship their finished product this way. i.e. an ultra smooth bare blank - with no additional finish applied to the finish to add extra weight.

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2023 10:52AM

I’ve seen a couple of commercially made rods that have had some sort of clear over coat that started to flake off the rod. It did not appear to adhere to the underlying finish very well. Because of this, I was able to remove this outer coat by gently getting under it with my finger nails or a utility knife and just flake it off a little at a time. It came off pretty clean without damaging the underlying finish. Try flaking it off before trying the more drastic procedure of removing all of the finish on the rod by scraping it with a metal blade.
Norm

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---)
Date: October 02, 2023 11:07PM

I use heat from a heat gun, after about four to ten seconds of heat on the epoxy the epoxy will start to come off, and from there, it is just a matter of peeling and cleaning the rod.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: October 03, 2023 07:53AM

You may have success with car scratch remover with several applications. It may remove the thin clear coat without destroying the paint underneath.

Date: October 03, 2023 09:15AM

If you have problems with scratches after removing finish, take the shine off the blank with a scotch brite pad or very fine steel wool, clean blank and wipe on a coat of Perma Gloss. Blank will look almost brand new.
Norm

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 04, 2023 06:14PM

Gentle heat and a plastic picnic knife !

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 04, 2023 08:06PM

The below article is about surface preparation but it has excellent info all around . Those Scotchbrite pads are superb .

[www.rodbuilding.org]

It is a simple matter for us to obtain this surface condition. We do it with an abrasive material called Scotchbrite made by the 3M company. There is no true substitute for this particular item that I am aware of. Scotchbrite comes in many grades and grits just like sandpaper. The ones we use for our rodbuilding are Type-S-7448 Grey-ultra fine and Type-S-7446 Grey-medium fine. Always use the ultra fine when you don't want any scratches to show and use the medium fine when scratches don't matter and you want faster abrasion/preparation such as on reel seats and handles.

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: October 05, 2023 08:05AM

Thanks for the info, Chris. I never heard of this concept before. Where can I find the Scotchbrite you mention? I've only seen the dark green pads for dishwashing in stores.

Date: October 05, 2023 08:10AM

Ryan Edamatsu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info, Chris. I never heard of this
> concept before. Where can I find the Scotchbrite
> you mention? I've only seen the dark green pads
> for dishwashing in stores.

I use the ones from the store...but you can get other (finer) grits from Lowes or Home Depot.
Be sure to read the article posted by Chris Nash above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2023 08:12AM by Chris Catignani.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 05, 2023 11:23AM

Ryan Edamatsu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info, Chris. I never heard of this
> concept before. Where can I find the Scotchbrite
> you mention? I've only seen the dark green pads
> for dishwashing in stores.

I've been unsuccessful finding the specific mentioned pad's from that article in local stores so I just looked them up online and bought the right kind that way . Lowes and Home depot carry Scotchbrite pads but they didn't have ( Type-S-7448 Grey-ultra fine and Type-S-7446 Grey-medium fine) I was looking for when I checked my local stores.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 05, 2023 11:55AM

Hello Ryan.

Chris is right they can be hard to find, my Lowe's carries them but if they don't go on-line to 3M and they should have them.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Date: October 05, 2023 12:00PM

chris c nash Wrote:

> I've been unsuccessful finding the specific
> mentioned pad's from that article in local stores
> so I just looked them up online and bought the
> right kind that way . Lowes and Home depot
> carry Scotchbrite pads but they didn't have (
> Type-S-7448 Grey-ultra fine and Type-S-7446
> Grey-medium fine) I was looking for when I checked
> my local stores.

Lowes has a few different kinds....they are all not under a "Scotch-Brite" name....but listed under 3M.
[www.lowes.com]
[www.lowes.com]
[www.lowes.com]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 05, 2023 03:09PM

Ryan,
McMaster Carr sells gray ScotchBrite pads but only in a box of 20. But once you use them, you’ll find MANY other uses other than just rod building.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: October 05, 2023 03:29PM

You can also find the Scotch Brite pads at some auto supply stores.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster