I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing thread epoxy cleanly
Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: September 29, 2023 04:43PM

What is the best way to remove epoxy without damaging the paint underneath? I need to relocate some guides and they are not going back on the same place they were on. I would rather not have to repaint the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing thread epoxy cleanly
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 29, 2023 05:18PM

Hello Ryan.

It may not be the best way but here is what I do:
1.with a sharp ravor I cut the epoxy & threads off the top of the guide foot.
2.peel back the thread & epoxy from left to right or right to left, if it doesn't all peal off
3.I use a plastic razorblade to scrape it off.
4.If that doesn't work I gently heat it and keep scraping with plastic razorblade.

Hope Thats Helpful.
PS you can use a sturdy plastic spoon insted of the plastic razorblade.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2023 05:22PM by ROBERT GUIST.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 29, 2023 06:16PM

Since the paint under the old guides has been protected from the sun and other environmental influences, and the rest of the rod has not, I don't think there is a way to do what you want without a color mismatch. Do the guides really have to be relocated? If the rod worked before , it will work again with guides in the same places.

Pick your poison: color mismatch or same performance as before.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: September 29, 2023 06:31PM

First, I do the same thing as Robert except I live on the edge and use an actual razor blade, not plastic (best have a steady hand, however). Second, I agree with Michael's comments.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2023 07:18PM

I like using a piece of split bamboo to scrape off epoxy. Any type of bamboo will do even old cheap cane poles. I get mine from neighbor who has some +and growing in his backyard. When split you get a sharp hard edge on the external side that works like your fingernail. The softer internal part works well to rub the epoxy off. The epoxy can be softened using a hairdryer.
It should be noted that it can be very difficult to remove epoxy from a painted rod.. it depends on the quality of the paint job.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2023 07:20PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Bob Jordan (---)
Date: September 30, 2023 12:14PM

Once you remove the thread most is off can go over it was a razor blade. Go make it even. I never use a solvent.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---)
Date: October 02, 2023 11:15PM

I use a heat gun, after about five to ten seconds of heating the guide finish epoxy will start to come off clean, from that point on just peel the epoxy away from the guides, nice and clean.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: October 03, 2023 07:37AM

I use a heat gun to soften the epoxy then use a razor blade to cut the threads off the guide foot. Once the threads are cut I peel back the edges, as much as possible, then using a dull knife I scrap until I have to heat and repeat. A dull blade Is less likely to damage the blank when removing the epoxy, but I still haven’t had a perfect finish after removal.

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: October 05, 2023 07:15AM

I removed the threads and guides and not only there was epoxy residue but also thead residue. I used a razor and scraped it up and down. I found the trick is to use zero downward pressure, only up and down in the thread area.

Some, but tiny amounts, of the paint got chipped off either due to scraping or removing the guide foot. They are barely noticeable and may blend in with the other scratches and chipped paint on the rest of the rod from normal usage. Also, the new guides happens to be positioned on 2 of the original guide locations, so that will help cover up any blemishes caused by removing the guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster