I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Filler Paste
Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: September 25, 2023 11:35AM

I did a little searching, and find Elmer's wood filler paste as the most returned answer.

Does the board have preferences or suggestions? I searched the board without success, perhaps chose the wrong words.

Many thanks-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Filler Paste
Posted by: Bruce Tewnion (---.177.181.107.wiredns.net)
Date: September 25, 2023 12:36PM

I used a different brand I got from my neighbour after trying Gorilla Indoor/Outdoor wood glue. The Gorilla glue dried really tough and I had to use little hobby files to wear it down first that took forever and popped a bunch of the filler out. I redid with the old glue and it filed off easy then I finished the sanding ending with 360grit and coating with U-40 cork sealant.

The Elmer's you want has a blue label not the orange one which is too water soluble. That's the kind that comes with the cork cutting jig set from Mudhole.

[mudhole.com]

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: September 25, 2023 12:41PM

I'm using Titebond II...mixed in with a cork saw dust.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2023 12:42PM

Elmer’s exterior grade wood filler in golden oak is a very popular cork filler. However, It seems that finding the exterior grade is getting more difficult, at least for me. Minwax exterior wood filler in golden oak is also very good. You just pack the filler into the cork voids, let dry and then sand smooth. I will then coat the cork with U40 cork seal, it helps lock the filler in place. You can make your own cork filler paste by mixing cork dust with exterior grade wood glue, like Elmer’s or Titebond, or even epoxy. This paste is then packed into the cork voids and when dry sanded smooth. It should be noted that this wood glue or epoxy cork paste, will require a little more sanding since it slightly darkens the cork.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: September 25, 2023 12:58PM

Thanks!

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: September 25, 2023 09:20PM

Miracle wood seems to match the best for me, but still not perfect.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 26, 2023 10:52AM

Posted by: Bob Jordan (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2023 08:43AM

Sand some cork. Get the filings and mix with glue and make a paste. Works good

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 30, 2023 10:09AM

Bob,
In addition, if using cork sanding's to fill cork pits - choose your glue carefully.
Relatively speaking cork is soft - compared to many things.

As a result, you would like your filler to have essentially the same level of hardness as is the material that you are filling.

If you don't have this match between material and filler - you end up with a poor job of filling the cork.

-------------------------
In prior activities I did a lot of work with balsa wood. Balsa wood is very light, but generally speaking is also very soft. As a result, I learned early on that Model Airplane Cement is a pretty good match for the use with soft balsa wood.

The same can be said of cork.

If you do decide to use cork sanding's to fill cork - use a compatible glue like Model Airplane cement - Ambroid, Sig, Duco house hold cement or similar. Note: One characteristic of this glue is that it has a pretty sort working time before it begins to harden.
So, if you do decide to fill with cork sanding's and use a Model Airplane cement - work quickly and in small batches.

I would suggest that you NOT use any form of epoxy, or any form of normal carpenter's wood glue, like Titebond III or similar. This sort of glue is a wonderful glue, but it sets up much much harder than cork. Then, when one goes to sand the finished grip - one ends up with hard spots and high and low spots in the grip due to the difference in hardness between the cork and the glue being used in the filler.

So, if you do wish to use cork sanding's - do some testing on work ability of the filled cork using the cement of your choice before ever committing to the use of that particular cement on a finished product.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Bob Jordan (---)
Date: September 30, 2023 12:11PM

I use Tilebond or Elmer’s wood glue

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: September 30, 2023 04:05PM

I carefully wipe off excess exterior wood glue and cork dust fillers with a damp paper towel when it is partially dry. Wiping when too wet pulls out the material more easily. If I can get it just right, I can nearly burnish the filler into the holes without removing it while leaving minimal residue. (Have also used my dampened finger - wipe off finger on damp sponge or paper towel.) Getting the excess filler off reduces the amount of sanding as the dried wood glue and dust is harder than the surrounding cork. As many others have said, treat with U40 cork sealer when all the sanding is done. I'm sure you could do the same with the pre-made wood fillers.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: October 02, 2023 11:02PM

The Elmer's exterior wood filler paste in Golden Oak is hard to beat. I just use a spatula to force it into the voids. I've even thinned the wood filler paste with a little water and smeared it all over cork that had a lot of voids. After sanding it looked like high end cork. It's easy to sand, and doesn't change color when U40 cork sealer is applied (which I highly recommend). I used to use Roddancer Pit Paste, but had problems with the filler darkening when the Cork Sealer was applied, but not with the Elmer's.

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: October 05, 2023 01:22PM

U40 cork sealer appears to be sold out on sites like Mudhole. Where else can they be aquired?

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 05, 2023 04:06PM

Ryan Edamatsu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> U40 cork sealer appears to be sold out on sites
> like Mudhole. Where else can they be aquired?

You can get it directly from U-40: [u-40.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster