I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Protective film on cork
Posted by: Jason Pereira (---)
Date: September 23, 2023 03:33AM

Hi all,

Could someone point me towards the plastic film used to protect cork grips, I presume it's some kind of heat shrink?

Cheers Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Protective film on cork
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 23, 2023 07:18AM

You might try this: [www.racedayquads.com])

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 23, 2023 03:20PM

Jason,
Are you looking for a temporary plastic cover to protect the cork until the customer removes it, as with many store-bought rods, or a (semi) permanent plastic cover? If the latter, Michael’s suggestion may be a good one or McMaster Carr carries it. I use a short piece of the McMaster Carr clear heat shrink tubing in lieu of a butt cap on many of my FW builds with cork, CF or birch bark grips. As for a temporary cover, I haven’t a clue (U-Line?).

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 23, 2023 04:27PM

My comment was made assuming a temporary protection. If "permanent," I don't understand the need. The only "plastic film used to protect cork grips" that I know of is that stuff that the rods in Walmart have on their grips. If there is a need to protect the grips while demonstrating rods, maybe U40 Cork Sealant would do the job.

Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: September 23, 2023 05:04PM

For new rod build the guy that got me into this had us coat the with liquid floor wax on the new cork it did get the cork grain to stand out

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: September 23, 2023 05:25PM

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: September 23, 2023 05:29PM

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: September 24, 2023 01:36PM

Mudhole sells clear heat shrink in two sizes. I sometimes use it to protect a rod I’m ship,ent and for delivery

Posted by: Jason Pereira (148.252.141.---)
Date: September 25, 2023 03:11AM

Sorry, I should have said it's for temporary film to protect and keep clean new grips.

Posted by: Bob Jordan (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2023 11:57AM

Enjoy the rod , if it gets dirty , use Magic Eraser ? Th cork handles are there, because they feel good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster