I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC Spinning Rod Recommendation for Trout
Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2023 06:08PM

Good afternoon,

Over the weekend I broke my trout rod about 16” from the tip. It was a RodGeeks C266MLF that handled 10-14” trout well. I’ve always been a St Croix fan and my last “factory” rod that I used for trout was a 7’ ML Premier. But now that it’s not repairable, I’m looking to build a new rod and considering NFC.

I mostly am fishing larger streams, about 125-150ft wide, with an average fish size of 10-12”. There is a very very small chance for a larger fish over 16”. Im typically using live bait (worms, minnows, salted minnows) and 1/8oz in-line spinners. Currently I’m using 6lb Berkley sensation and don’t see myself going above that unless I switch to 10lb braid with a 4lb floro leader.

Is there a specific NFC blank that any of you guys would recommend? I’m considering the FW702-1 (IM), FW662-1 (IM) but also open any suggestions. I’d like it to be “sensitive” enough to feel a smaller split shot on the bottom or very light takes with worms/minnows.

Thank you,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC Spinning Rod Recommendation for Trout
Posted by: Will Anderson (---)
Date: September 22, 2023 09:02PM

I built a rod out of the NFC FW702-1(IM). I have it rigged with #6 mono. I use it for a variety of fishing methods similar to what you are using it for. I would recommend it for you based on the descriptions provided. I think you'll have better sensitivity ro

Posted by: Dean Veltman (193.43.135.---)
Date: September 23, 2023 03:51PM

The sj703 X-ray feels similar to my SCV 70mlf st croix rods in power and action. The FW702 based on charts appears quite a bit less powerful. That may be what you want, but unless c2 line from RodGeeks is significantly different than the higher end lines, it does not look like it would be comparable to the rod you are replacing.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2023 05:41PM

Thank you guys for the feedback. The C2 felt like it had more power than similar St Croix SCII and SCIII blanks I’ve fished. But not by much.

My only concern with an XRay is our normal spot we fish usually involves some bushwacking to access and I’ve heard they aren’t the most durable rods out there. I’ve broke the tip off an XRay before the 4th time out with it. an SJ703 or SB682 Xray would be too options if the durability is there. Based on the CCS data base and Rodhouse comparator the IM702 looks like a true light to ultralight rod. the FW703 is may be more inline of what I’m used to. With the current sale, might grab an X-ray and the 703

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 24, 2023 05:49PM

Double Post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 06:03PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 24, 2023 05:55PM

It makes a difference in which category you are looking at as far as what is an ultralight. UL bass is not the same as a UL freshwater. Your FW 702 is a 2 power FW blank while a SB5100 spin bass blank is rated as a "0" power blank, they are virtually the same power. If you look at the Japanese trout rods, what we call BFS rods, you will see an NFC X Ray blank specifically designed for your needs, the P7000, blanks of this power present your offerings well and have taken much larger trout than you have available. This power blank puts the fun in your size fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 05:59PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster