I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LG alconite tip guide
Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: September 21, 2023 02:35PM

I am planning to use LN and L frame Fuji alconite guides for 2 baitcasting rods. I will need to find some alconite tip top for them as well.

I looked on Get Bit Outdoors website and found a Fuji LG tip top that also comes in alconite. But looking at the picture, the ring seems to be a bit high. I want the guides to line up appropriately and I hope this tip doesn't cause a offset to the layout.

Question is, is the LG tip top compatible for use with LN and L frames? I would like to know this before I order.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LG alconite tip guide
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 21, 2023 04:58PM

Yes, it is compatible. Many worry about minor offsets in height, and they really mean nothing to the performance of the rod. Consider the "offset" of the level wind guide on casting reels, for example. And we think a couple millimeters of offset in a guide is going to be a problem? Not to worry.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 21, 2023 06:29PM

I used Fuji LN and L guides with Fuji micro LG tip tops on the last two casting rods I built, and the heights line up beautifully. In looking at Get Bit's web site I see they list the LG tip top, but not a micro LG top. Mud Hole Lists the micro LG top. I got my guides from Mud Hole. The micro F tip tops also match height wise with the L running guides.

Compare the pictures from Get Bit LG top and Mud Hole micro LG top and you'll see what I mean.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 21, 2023 06:46PM

But the fact is that they don't have align perfectly. It simply doesn't matter. Build , fish, enjoy.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: September 22, 2023 10:06AM

Ryan - The picture displayed on vendor sites could be any one the sizes offered in the LG top which is from a size 4 ring to a size 8 (the 4's & 4.5's may be considered a micro top but it is not a different item - it is still an LG series top). So if the picture that vendor has is one of a size 6 ring for instance, then yes it may look taller than what you would expect on a 4.5 but what you would get would be the correct LG top if you ordered a 4.5 and the height would be appropriate to match with size 4.5 runners.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 23, 2023 06:02AM

Michael, it also doesn't matter if your wraps are packed tightly. It also doesn't matter if your guides aren't perfectly in line with each other, Or if there is a gap between your reel seat and grip. Or if your grips are reamed in perfect alignment.

There are a lot of little things we do when building a fishing rod that don't really have anything to do with the actual performance of a fishing rod, yet we are meticulous in doing them. At least I am ........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster