I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Adding two different brands of finish
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 18, 2023 09:23PM

I've got a butt wrap that I put two coats of Flex Coat Lite on about three weeks ago. It;s dry, but doesn't have the hard, smooth finish of the other guides. I've been experimenting with Flex Coat Lite, Flex Coat High Build, LS Supreme, and Gen 4. I'm really impressed with the Gen 4. Would it be permissible to rough up the finish on the wrap and add a thin coat of Gen 4 Light Build?

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adding two different brands of finish
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: September 18, 2023 09:51PM

I will be very surprised if putting one brand of two-part rod finish over another cured brand causes any issues. While there is a lot of differentiation in these brands, the base chemistry should be relatively similar. Thread finishes don’t appear to be strong solvents. They are also fairly resistant to being dissolved once cured.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: September 19, 2023 07:35AM

It won’t hurt anything. I’ve done it a few times with zero issues.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2023 09:00AM

There are no solvents in 2-part epoxies. They are 100% solids. You should be fine, but I've not seen one brand of epoxy offer a harder or smoother surface than another. You may have something else going on there.

Date: September 19, 2023 10:20AM

Tom,
I believe you're right. The resin component for the Flex Coat Lite was very cloudy and I should have heated it to mitigate that. I don't know why I thought that the heat generated during the curing process would overcome that; call it another senior moment. I've used it for over 30 years without any major issues. I did another test wrap last night, heating both the components and it looked much better this morning. Even though I've historically used the Flex Coat, I was pleasantly surprised at how fast the Gen 4 leveled out as opposed to the other three, but they all leveled out as they are supposed to do.

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

Dave

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: September 19, 2023 03:01PM

I’m a big Flex Coat fan too, but I switched to Gen4 awhile back and it’s now my go to. I’ll still use Flex Coat if Gen4 is unavailable, however.

Date: September 19, 2023 08:58PM

Daryl,
I was sorely tempted to recoat that wrap with Flex Coat, but used the Gen4 instead. Looks amazing. Still have bottles of both the Flex Coat Lite and High Build, and I think I screwed up as indicated in my last post. I'll still use it up on ice rods and other things, but Gen4 has another convert.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: September 19, 2023 10:18PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are no solvents in 2-part epoxies. They are
> 100% solids. You should be fine, but I've not seen
> one brand of epoxy offer a harder or smoother
> surface than another. You may have something else
> going on there.
>
> .........

True, but the term “solvent” is more universal in meaning. Many chemicals, especially liquids, have some ability to dissolve some other chemicals at even very slow rates. Water is known as the “universal solvent” while not usually being classified as an industrial solvent. This is the context of the term I was referencing. Either way, different brands of these casting resin/hardener systems shouldn’t dissolve each other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster